Agnostic.com

20 4

What is your favorite, and possibly insane, work of fiction?

This can be book/film etc... But what work are you ultimately glad was made, in spite of its creativity?

My example Pax Romana by Jonathan Hickman. The premise is that in the near future, the Catholic Church discovers time travel. With dwindling membership and a rise in Islam, they send s mercenary group guided by Roman Bishops to the time on Constantine to ensure the prosperity of the church.

Then things get weird...

Love to hear your suggestions ‘

JohnGalt917 5 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Catch 22. I laughed out loud several times. An incredibly poignant look at war.

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs is to books what Eraserhead is to movies. An insane twisted mindf*ck.

I recently began Calvino's infamous "If on a Winter's Night a Traveler" which is the MOST experimental book I've ever read. So much so that I couldn't keep reading it. I will conquer it one day, but I just got annoyed after the first few story starts.

Another odd one I read years ago is by Lionel Shriver called The Post Birthday World. In the first chapter, a woman meets with a choice. The rest of the book alternates chapters, one where she did and one where she didn't. Then the last chapter is the same. Which took a lot of doing, because what happened when she did and didn't were wildly different. Also, he kept some things resonating between the two timelines. It's really clever.

Finally, okay I just realized you didn't say weird, but I'm onto weird now, so Ian McEwan. Just the weirdest shit ever. Love it! Mostly.

Slaughter House 5 by Kurt Vonnegut

Trump's presidency.

Well if we're going for possibly insane Valis by Philip K Dick

Anything by Octavia E. Butler.

vita Level 7 May 10, 2018

Admire her work so much!

"The Dark Tower" series, Stephen King.

Yes yes yes! I read it annually! Thankee sai.

The Books (not the film) {also as a six sided vinyl record collection.
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe and
Restaurant at the end of the Universe.

Many years ago i bought the BBC Radiophonic broadcast of this series from Canada. It was not available here. It is one of my prized possessions.

@Spinliesel that is the collected recordings I bought (in UK)

Iain Banks novels, The Culture series. Just insane. Fabulously written in a way that will blow your mind. Don't try to understand them, just go with the flow.

Tilia Level 7 May 10, 2018

"Books! - are they still going? " - Homer Simpson

Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, heck everything he ever wrote.

Gaiman and Pratchett are the best contemporary fiction writers, imo. Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels are probably the only comic books that have ever made me cry.

I can't even finish Pratchett's last novel because, now that he's gone, I don't want it to be over

He's brilliant!

Good Omens, have lent and given several copies and don't have one to reread now! A laugh a minute with Gaiman and Pratchett writing together.

Against Nature by J.K. Huysmans.

Favorite AND insane? Definitely American Gods. Wildly imaginative.

Well,I like the disc world series by Terry Pratchett. It's highly entertaining fantasy. I really bust up when the character of "Death" tries to be more personable.

I am partial to anything written by Issac Asimov or HP Lovecraft. I believe I have read everything they have written. Both tell great stories.

@JohnGalt917 At the Mountain of Madness, In the Walls of Eryx, The Colour Out of Space, The Dreams in the Witch House, The Outsider, are a few.

Pickman's Model is another favorite by Lovecraft. Shadow out of Time is also great

@JohnGalt917 I couldn't stop reading "The Dunwich Horror" once I started.

@JustKip No, but the topic was fictional books. He even had a book of jokes.

Everything by Robert rankin but if I had to choose its between hollow choclate bunnys of the apocalypse or nostradamus ate my hamster

Hunter Thompson.
Kurt Vonnegut.
.....take your pick of their writing.

There are so many incredible works that I couldn’t possibly name just one, so I will list top 5: The Complete Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (basically every Sherlock Holmes Story), Lord of the Rings Trilogy, H.G. Wells Collection (The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Time Machine, The Invisible Man, and The First Men in the Moon. My mother had a leather bound edition of this that I completely wore out as a kid), The Dark Tower Series, Watership Down (this is total nostalgia as I read this over and over as a young kid).

@JohnGalt917 I would say watch the movie first, then read the books. I hated the movie so much because I had read the books multiple times and had expectations for who the characters were supposed to be and how the story unfolds. If I hadn’t read the books, I think it would’ve just been somewhat enjoyable as your average, run of the mill action flick.

We are sisters of the heart, lady.

I had a roommate that briefly went Mormon. Their book is just delightlfully funny! The infallible diety finally noticed he made a few mistakes, and told ONLY ME how to fix it, so follow my path.

He only stayed a few months, Was actually only using them to try and help witn his alcoholism. The Mormons drove him back to the bars

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.