Agnostic.com

15 9

Delusional theology

After talking to Hindu believer, I'm wondering, is any one religion more delusional than another. Monkey god, elephant god, the Great Brahmin. Talking snakes and asses. Virgin births and walking on water, raising the dead and casting demons into a herd of pigs. Are they equally delusional. Opinions?

Gj84087 4 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hinduism is one of the least confrontational religions in that it accepts that all gods are simply different aspects of the same divinity, so that religion actually serves to unite disparate believers rather than divide them. It's also a root of Buddhism, the only religion I know that, in its purest form, has no god other than the personification of a divine state of understanding.

Buddhism is as delusional as all of them . Buddha had demons attack him after he left his wife and son. She carried the child for three years. Delusion.

@Gj84087 Not in its original form, which calls for a calm understanding of what it is to be human in the world. The later nonsenses about demons and the rest are palimpsests (not a word I get to use often) recurring from the earlier beliefs that Buddhism replaced, just as Christmas, Easter, and Halloween are the holidays of the earlier paganism that still raise their heads though thought long since buried by Christianity.

@moNOtheist there is no god within or Nirvana to reach. Buddhists are killing Muslims in Myanmar as we text on the instructions of a monk. No religion deals in reality. They are all devisive and detrimental to human progress.

Yeah, I'd say they're all pretty equal-opportunity bonkers. Talking snakes and pillars of salt are no more or less weird than flying horses or guys with six arms.

All of culture is intersubjective. That is why religion is regional. But so is money, fiat money, everyone believes, so it works. All of government too is intersubjective, we believe in it so it works. To bad it works against most of us

Not all religions / sects take themselves as literally / seriously. To some believers, these are symbols and metaphors and not literal beings. Some religious folk are aware that they are telling each other campfire stories; some are not. And of course it's not binary; there are all the shades in between those two understandings.

Then there is, for example, Buddhism and Taoism which don't have any actual deities, just the ritual and tradition and cosmology and clergy.

So I would say some are less delusional than others. But ultimately they are all delusional, for some given value of "delusional".

You have to realize that before science and mass communication (books), religious notions were essentially unopposed. People really didn't have alternatives to the fairy tales except other fairy tales. However, after books and the advent of natural science, the existence of alternative explanations are a relatively recent challenge to religion, especially with Galileo and Darwin. As natural science has improved, the true character of reality reveals just how absurd the fairy tales are.

In this age where people choose whether to be informed or not, those choosing the 'or not' option may develop an allegience to these fairy tale memes. This allegience is akin to the obedience one allows when they are hypnotized. Obedience to outdated notions in the face of commonplace facts is a serious issue when it comes to public policy, as with reproductive medicine and climate change. When 40% of the population, or more, believe nonsense and reject verified science, that is a feature where democracy falls on its face.

The behavior of religious people becomes a danger to the rest of society, and we are in a fight for survival over this fact whether we realize it or not. We must be militant on governance based on facts or risk extinction.

People who are genuinely delusional may be helped with medication. People who are self-deluded as a matter of social convenience can be educated. However, the BIG question is whether we simply try to ostracize the self-deluded as Sam Harris recommends, or take stronger steps to disenfranchise them from political influence. Still a third option is to research the underlying psychodynamics and/or neurochemistry and enact a physical means (virus, deprogramming) to reduce the allegience to BS. We would all like to play nice on this subject, but the clock is ticking, and everything is at stake....

I agree with the spirit of what you say.
however. there has been science as long as there was 'religion'
religion has been opposed as long as there where people to oppose it. there are example, for instance of early Greek philosophers discussing how man made gods in their own image.

I'd reasonably say that they are all delusional.

Fairy tales come in variety of bs packages. Its all the same to me.

You may want to read "God is NOT great", Christopher Hitchens wrote it pretty much for all religions where his core message is that they poison everything

Funny. I guess delusion is an appropriate word. But they're rooted in a different time and place, many/most religions. Is it fair to call them delusions...I have no idea.

BUT what would life be like without our pantheon of gods and religions? I'm partial to the Greek Gods of old. What would my life have been without Mt Olympus to ponder over? Not in a religious sense, but historical maybe

All gods talk through their asses.

Athos Level 5 May 9, 2018

They are ALL rooted in delusion.

Sprinkle Me With Fairy Dust And Put Me On My Unicorn!! It's all bullshit!

Coldo Level 8 May 9, 2018

Believing things with no proof is a delusion be it subtle or gross.

No they all qualify as close to being insane programs. Don't cut out Santa the kids really like him.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77348
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.