Agnostic.com

16 4

How far are you willing to travel for a first date?

Let's say you have just met someone online. What is the maximum you are willing to travel for a first date?

• 6 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 12 votes
robdowney 5 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When you live rurally, there's no such thing as a 25- or 50-mile date. There are people closer, just not the ones you want to meet. I'll go 50-100 miles for a nice leisurely meal (not a coffee), maybe 150-miles for a day together. After that it's called a "weekend" or an overnight and requires a pretty good connection first. But at my age I expect most serious ladies are retired or have (or will make) very flexible schedules, so after a bona fide relationship begins we generally spend a few days here, a week there, a weekend some other place, as we wish. Gives us each time at our own place and time off altogether. Long-term I'd want to settle on one place... probably some other place. I don't treat "dates" as if I'm ordering pizza and I'm not looking for lots of dates, so any drivable distance isn't really a thing. I enjoy the drive.

I live where I have to travel 30 miles to go to the dentist and 100 miles to see a concert so, 25 or 50 miles is nothing at all.

Yeah, I hear ya on that! Same situation here.

If first date means first meeting, keep the beer. I don't mislead that a meeting will become a subsequent date. But, that's the thrill of adventure...

I traveled 40 miles. But it was worth it.

I went from Iowa to Florida a couple years ago, though that was for more of a visit-date than for one night. In June I'll be going from Iowa to Massachusetts to meet someone, though that isn't as date-like

How about 1800 miles? On my trip to Texas and Michigan this summer, I'm stopping to meet a friend and then I'm stopping for a date. Should be interesting.

No comment, I need to see the target of that First Date. I got time on my hands, some money in the bank and lust is a creative aphrodisiac.

@Philosopearl Thank You.

I'd say I'd limit myself to 50 miles, generally; but I'm going to meet someone in Hawaii this month I've been corresponding with now for several months. Hey, It's Hawaii! WTH, and I'm desperate. What can I say?

That's true! Bring your heat shield. LOL For the lava or the love 🙂

@robdowney, I'll be on Oahu, the lava flow is on the Big Island, where the other person is coming from.

@Condor5 I sure hope she doesn't read that you're desperate. It could really 'spoil the mood'. 🙂

@Silver1wun I'm a master of disguise when it comes to my emotions.

@Condor5 Uh oh! Now you've 'tipped off' the rest of them... A Presbyterian Astrologer would guess you to be a Saggitarius.

@Silver1wun nope, Libra. There is no "rest of them."

I actually had a minimum. Refused to date anyone in the same city limits. After my fair share of psychos I decided to make it more of a chore to show up unannounced, so I only dated outside of the 25 mile radius.

Never thought of it that way! I follow the old rule to never date anyone I work with, I guess that makes just as much sense.

5 miles or less for my date.

I'll consider walking 47 miles...

In my case, it's less of 'willing to', and more of 'can'; since I have an eternal child, he can't really be left with others for more than a few hours at a time - aside from my daughter, I have noone else to really help with him.

Willing to go anywhere - but circumstances dictate otherwise.

It totally depends on the person and the chances of a possible relationship (and I'm not talking about sex).

I won't meet travel out of my town to meet men..if they want to meet me, they can come to me.

The exception..if I'm dating a woman while I'm in male mode, I would probably travel up to 20 miles to meet them.

Less than 25 miles. I have done the long distant thing a couple of times, and found nothing good about it, and l mean nothing. I would drive 50 to get laid, but not for a date. ?

@SACatWalker How does that effect you? ?

Thats if I was dating, I used to commute to France every month to see my girlfriend but that became a little too much.

Ireland to France? That is quite the long distance relationship. Quite a culture difference as well, probably hard for either of you to move.

@robdowney Hey Rob, so we lived together in Ireland for 6 years..then her father died very suddenly, she had a little brother Alexi who was only 10 (big age gap there) the mother was wheelchair bound due to latent adult polio..so they both needed help..she felt she had no choice...
But I couldn't go because of my job and family etc
So she transferred to Dell in France..I used cheap Ryan air flights with some help from a relative to go over and meet up in her friends flat in Paris... but the financial burden was killing us. We ended it but we are still friends to this day.. I married an Irish girl in the end. Chest last vie mon Amie, il faux bouger, mais plus ca change..plus C'est last meme chose!

@Hitchens Wow, thanks for sharing. Family and distance can cause issues that's for sure.
Hey, my grandfather was from Ireland and I have always hoped to visit someday. Great pics on your profile by the way, you must be a photographer because they look very professional.

@robdowney Actually I thought your surname looked Irish, so that's confirmed..we share a common heritage...excellent. Regarding pics ..Thank you..They are of my wife and 2 daughters . I did take the photos and I really like photography I use a Nikon 3200s SLR .. I'm strictly amateur though.. I wish I had more time to invest in it though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77546
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.