Agnostic.com

34 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t think empathy can be quantified. It’s like being pregnant. You either are or not.

@Stacey48 no

Having been gifted two beautiful sons (men in their own right now) I empathise with women who are pregnant though i will never be pregnant. ?

How can one measure empathy? Not only the manner one lifts another person, but in the way it lifts us. One might experience suffering, but no feeling is final. I have always found this old truth to still be true. 'Tis better to give than receive. To be wounded is an opportunity for forgiveness. And that takes time. When completed we are changed.
A very interesting question you posted

yes I think so.
I am aspi, I don't think or act emotionally myself, I cannot read situations well, and I certainly say the wrong things at the wrong times.
Yet at other times I can be really sad on behalf of others, a child who has lost a pet, parent who has lost a child. There is no rhyme or reason in my reactions, but I do feel at times I experience others pain too deeply.

Never cared enough to find out. But yes, empathy overreach is a disorder in itself.

IMO, yes. Too much of anything isn't good.

Yeah, it'll bite on the ass someday . That's just the way I lived it.
Did not want it that way. Seems like Karma , said , bite me. Haha.

Keech Level 5 May 12, 2018

Definitely. People show empathy (exaggerated) to serial killers, mass murderers, Hitler, etc.

I find we live in a world where those that allow their empathy to guide their actions are usually powerless to actually help.

Those with the power to help tend to keep their empathy to themselves.

It’s evident when the pope is sitting on a throne made of gold while praying for hungry, homeless children.

It’s evident in every part of society on the planet, but all the empathy on the planet can’t solve it.

It kind of makes empathy pointless except to the emotional needs of the empathetic. I guess people feel better about their inability to help if they at least note sadness toward, or for the unfortunate.

Foggy Level 4 May 13, 2018

@Stacey48 then what was the point in the question? How could you possibly have too much of what you just described?

I’m aware of the definition of the word. The way you asked the question seemed to refer to the parallels some of us tend to end up in as a result of the emotional responses. My apologies if I miss understood your question.

I once worked with a woman who could not listen to "Puff the Magic Dragon" without crying. Is that too much empathy?

EdZen Level 1 May 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79788
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.