Agnostic.com

38 5

Do You Think We Tend To Over Endulge When It Comes To Our Pets?

I do not pose this question as a hypocrite as you can see from the picture provided, I purchased this couch for my dog today.

I remember as a kid, pets were usually outside, eating leftovers, and basically allowed to be one with the environment instead of the household.

These days we treat our pets like children. We keep them inside, we groom them, get them vaccinated, and we often take them with us in our cars. Some even put their pets in daycare or pet retreats.

Please tell me do you think we over do it with our pets....

• 27 votes
  • 21 votes
twshield 8 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

38 comments (26 - 38)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

But wouldn't change it. Lol

Some do

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 26, 2020

I treat my pets as beloved members of my family. But I don't go over the top buying anything fancy.

I think we overdo it especially with dogs and cats. But who am I to judge someone? Maybe they feel lonely or they can't have children and that's their furry baby. I personally wouldn't do that. I have three birds and they are pets to me. I feed them and give them water and they have some toys. When I had a dog it was a dog when it died I was sad but it was a dog. I think animals are wonderful but stop dressing them up please.

I know I spoil my animals. Thats just me.

In a way, yes. It can get extreme. But for some (like myself) who don’t really “fit in” with normal society, animals are my life. They give me the love and attention I need. My parents do, yes, but as a companion, I don’t WANT kids, but at the same time I want someone to take care of and someone who relies on me.

I have to answer this just in reference to myself, since you can find the entire range of behavior when you look for it. Growing up, our dogs were part of the family, stayed indoors with us, and the entire family grieved when we had to end their suffering. My parents taught me that they're our responsibility for their entire lives, and you do what's best for them. Always. Regardless of how hard it is to do. I take care of my dogs to the very best of my ability, and will do whatever it takes for them. Which means there are dog crates all over my house, a zillion toys, obedience classes, and there's at least one snoring basset hound in bed with me every night. 🙂

So... Yes... or no... or I don't know... Animals are amazing and they have so much to offer. But are we too "indulgent"? Some people are for sure. But we seem to think that animals are second-class citizens of earth whereas we're first-class. We got lucky in the evolutionary gene pool, but that doesn't make us better, and the idea that we can treat animals any way we want just because we're more "evolved" is disturbing. Animals aren't there for our pleasure (or just for our food), they're part of our planetary ecosystem. I feel like this is one of those issues that goes much deeper than just "animals" vs "humans."

I love animals, but yes, some (a lot) over indulge their pets. I'm with ATHIEST...."some to the point of ridiculousness".

Many do.
Reminded me of a play, Sasha On Line.....one man show....an interview with a guy in line for rations in the old ussr. "Any questions Sasha?"
" yes ! Is it true, in America you have whole isles in food store...whole isles !.... Just for dog ?!? "

I don't overendulge, but I do overIndulge sometimes.

That couch IS over the top.

The poll should include the option --- "WE SHOULD give our furry companions the very best care possible as well as love/attention."
I believe that all living beings on the Earth are equals and all have equal right to be here. Humans have done some species a great disservice by "domesticating" them and they are now reaping the HELL of that disservice. For example, over 4 millions doggies in the USA alone are put to death each year for the crime of being homeless. Can you imagine if we executed 4 million homeless people each year? These concentration/death camps have to end.
Spay/Neuter/Adopt/Foster --- don't shop or breed.
Leave wild animals in the wild.
Stop creating in-home zoos -- if your companion animal can't live with you cage-free, then they are a prisoner and not a companion.
Stop the madness.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79861
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.