Agnostic.com

17 3

Love / romance scammed

how many people have been love scammed by someone you met on a dating site? You tell me your story I'll tell you mine!

Kojaksmom 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A few years ago a friend signed me up on something... I am hands on... need to meet you face to face. Is a "vibes" thing on my case... I just got used to. I answered only one person... I answered because I moved away from the location to another state. We became friends and I just was not into returning back to that city. Hate to say but similar here... I am in Maryland for a little bit and then back to Vegas... I see people I like but in different states, I can travel but I just Never been into this before so I feel incompetent. I can stick around in Maryland if it works to my advantage. Also got the Florida option but I have to make up my mind or the Right Match make my mind for me. When you are retired... you are too relax to hurry things. But if the switch lights up... I am willing to travel. Not good at this as you guys can see. Must be a 20th century bug still on me. But I am having a great time despite it all. Practically Every woman in my life since College had been met in the dance floor. So I am a Virgin Here.

this website seems like a very good website it seems like the scammers have not gotten to this website. people seem to have respect for each other on this website. I hope it will continue we are a very small part of the general population and if I get involved with another person it is important that we have the same view about religion, my ex-wife was a religious person and we did not have any common interest except for our children and when our children became adults she divorced me and went back to the church. So this time I'm searching for somebody with common interests and similar beliefs that this website offers.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 3, 2018

7 yrs ago I met a girl on the internet much younger then myself. She lives in the Philippines. We spoke on line for 8 months at which time I decided to travel to the Philippines to meet her. We lived together in the Philippines for 2 months. Everything was great.. I was planning to bring her back to the US and started the paperwork. While going through the application it came out. She was married, separated 12 yrs earlier. I asked her if she was married before I traveled to meet her. She lied. At that moment She lost all credibility in my eyes. I ended it that day.

There are many online dating liars. It begins with high energy although low investment, like a coffee to start. Scammer have been mild. Although my last three Christian girlfriends in a row, dumped me because I could not be saved.

Jewish women have workout in long term relationship. I know what they are thinking, like a guy.

Some people have mis-read this site's name. It isn't Assholes.com. WQhen I grow up, I'll be a hermit. Tex

All the time. I am a trans gendered woman and just about every man who talks to me is just treating me as a personal fantasy. I am always upfront and honest about this because it is simply too dangerous not to be, but being open about it only seems to attract really gross messages and never allows sincere men to get to know me as the woman I am. It is VERY frustrating.

So sorry to hear that.

I’ve watched every episode of Catfish the TV show, so I have never been scammed. Though, many have tried.

It's so bad out there! I'm paranoid about trying another dating site

Once you know what to look for, you can find the real people.

If he is widowed, in the military, and says ‘hi, pretty’—he’s a fake. Lol. There are others, but that’s what the scammers are trying lately. They also say they are from a small town near you.

You may need to beter define "love scammed" to get more responses.

I get friend requests on Facebook all the time from supposedly highly attractive women. Never met these people before. No mutual Facebook friends. These profiles smack of a scam from 10,000 miles away.

Needless to say, these overtures remain ignored and go unanswered.

Thats a scam, they will try to get you emotionally involved before something terrible will happens to them. Thrn they will need your momey.

Oldest scam in the book. The same one the bar girls in Thailand try to pull.

Buffalo sick! Need money! Love you long time, honey! I quit bar for you! No see man but you, honey! Need money because quit bar! Sister sick too! You come back Thailand soon? Miss you honey! See no man but you. Come back Thailand I make you happy! Send money!

I met a man on a dating site, and we really hit it off. We began seeing each other regularly and all was well. I knew he was unhappy with his then current living arrangement. After a few months We begin talking about being roommates, and decided to move in together. Immediately things changed. He began picking petty fights and told me we obviously didn't have very much in common, and said that we should just be friends. Turns out that's all that he was after was a place to live. 8 months later he still lives here, but at least he's cool and does pay rent. Why does love make us so stupid?

Bummer! Why are people so deceptive? Maybe "unhappy with his then current living arrangement" was your red flag. Too bad we have to become paranoid. I met a guy from a dating site, and I ended up "counseling" his after much loss in his life, and encouraging him to focus on the one lady he met and really likes alot!! haha., You never really know, I guess.

I would imagine that living arrangement would be awkward. Is it possible having his company around offers someone other then Kojak to talk to?

@steve148 it is awkward and I think you're right it does kill loneliness a bit

I am usually in open relationships. My then boyfriend was on collarme.com (a dating site for people that are into BDSM). I can't count the number of women who messaged him claiming to be submissives extolling their undying devotion to him, and then ask him for money so they can move in with him. These are women who have 1) never met him and 2) never talked to him until that message.

For myself, I have had a couple of men message me telling me that they will be in town that weekend and wanted to "hook up". Mind you, all of my dating profiles say I'm not into casual sex and that I need to get to know them first. Guess that's why I'm not on any dating sites at the moment (I don't consider this a dating site).

Years ago I was chatting with a woman online and after literally four or five days of correspondences she tells me she loves me and tells me she recorded a song for me. After I said I wanted to take things slowly, sufficiently freaked out by her sudden infatuation, she told me that she had cancer and that my rejection of her led her to undergo some procedure that caused the cancer to spread. Basically, she was lying to me trying to manipulate me, and I had to break off communication entirely. Whether she was attempting to scam me or she was just mentally unstable is unclear.

Unfortunately, no one’s tried to love-scam me since my marriage. Maybe the women on the dating sites that I virtually meet sense my romantic cynicism.

Lol well when I went through a bad breakup I was playing around with some website and this woman tried hitting on me. She went so far to try to get me to like her by trying to build up my trust and asking me for my social security number. Lol ,” I told her to get lost and that I wasn’t into women.” I’m open to hear about yours, though, too.

Social security number, huh? She was super subtle…

I mostly get ignored by women on dating sites.

Lol,

Ditto

Ditto for me. I'm hoping it is different here.

I think most men do, unless they happen to be blessed with super great looks. I think what ruins it for us average and decent guys is all of the pervs that bombard every woman they see with obscene comments. I'm on a couple dating sites but honestly I think I'm more likely to just meet someone in real life. Just need to get out and do stuff, which is difficult when working a lot.

@kevin, I think that attraction is a highly individual thing. I only see one pic of you on your profile, but I find you attractive. You’re a little far away from me though. 😉 I like the beard and the smile.

I don’t find many men attractive, but they are never the ‘pretty’ ones. I don’t like muscled bodies, I like a bit of softness to comfort me. I like natural people, not those who need extensive manicuring and trendy clothes and styles.

But I’m not attracted to large people. I’m overweight, and don’t mind extra pounds, but I at least try to stay under 200 pounds. I’ve been treated very badly when I turn down very large people.

You are attracted to what you are attracted to. That’s not something you can control, and you shouldn’t be shamed for it. I mean, I am not everyone’s cup of beauty, and I’m ok with that.

@kevind872

@Annaleda I agree attraction is highly subjective and we definitely can't control much about what we are attracted to ourselves. Honestly I think online is harder because for me (and I suspect many others), part of what makes a person more or less attractive are things that cannot be conveyed very well online. Mannerisms, how they carry themselves or communicate, etc. One thing that drives me nuts with online dating, and I see it a lot, is lots of women say to make them laugh in your message to them. In person, I'm generally quite good at making people laugh because there are lots of other cues to get inspiration from and I see humor in lots of stuff quite easily. Online, there really isn't much to work with. 🙂

@kevind872

I think there are so many other factors too. Smells, touch, kissing. 😉 Liking old people, kids, and dogs. 🙂

I find it hilarious that most profiles say the same things...long walks, camping, cooking, movies.

Before I forget, which is better Sky is Over or Saving Us by Serb Tankian’s Elect the Dead?

Sorry for hijacking your thread @CC_David

Serj. Lol

@Annaleda Yeah, after reading a handful, you definitely see a pattern develop. Don't forget about travel, too! 🙂

Honestly I haven't kept up with his solo stuff. If it's anything like SoaD then I'd probably like it. I think his vocals are awesome and worked well with their style of music.

Yes, apologies, @CC_David

I sort of feel important when my thread gets hijacked! 😉

Not scammed but I went out with a "single" lady once and at the end of the first date she said, "I'm leaving my husband for you". I couldn't end the date fast enough, lol.

I had a similar encounter. After a few emails and her visit to my house. She decided she wanted to leave her live-in boyfriend to live with me. I forget which site. Anyway I declined.

Whoa!!!

Hopefully not on Agnostic.com 🙂

Admin Level 9 Dec 12, 2017

Not yet! lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7989
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.