Agnostic.com

15 4

Is it necessary?

Based on your observations and experiences in life do you think that a college degree is necessary to be financially successful?

lck1256 5 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not only is college not for everybody, but college is no guarantee of financial success.

No. But money isn't everything. Higher education does many things for a person beside the career path, and leaving them mostly broke.

My plumber is better off than I am, and I have two degrees.

But you don't muck about in other people's defecation, and he does.

@sarahjustme Heh. I've done both. ?

No, it can be helpful but it is not necessary. Plumbers, Mechanics, Electricians, Welders, et al, can make very good money, and can do so with out putting on hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

I think the critical point is skill level regardless of having or not having a degree.

cava Level 7 May 13, 2018

@Gwendolyn2018

Very different set up. Novice, Journeyman, Master with pay at each level.

@Gwendolyn2018 No you don't. At least not in the states. I've been a tradesman for 30 plus years and my only education was a BS in Oceanography. And I am not alone.

@Gwendolyn2018 I'm a carpenter and licensed contractor.

Not necessary, but definitely helpful.

Banks and/or investors won't have much confidence in a person who didn't graduate college. Not having a degree doesn't mean you won't succeed, but it will very likely be more of a struggle.

No. I say no because the degree, itself, isn't the deciding factor. The person with or without the degree can be financially successful or not.

Unfortunately it does help , I once worked with someone who was useless at his job we applied for the same job he got it despite me being able to outperform him by miles . The reason he got it he had a degree I didn't .(I was told that )

@sarahjustme I wasn't related to anyone in either of the companies so what has that got to do results produced ?

@sarahjustme well said

No, but it can be required for certain careers, if that's what one dreams of doing.

Zster Level 8 May 13, 2018

No. Not really.

It is not necessary, but it does make a difference. It really depends on the degree as well. A English degree doesn't usually make as much as a Physics degree. If you can get a degree it is usually well worth the time.

it helps but it's not necessary

When l was in my 20's it was another option. I'm not sure anymore. I haven't delt with that since then.

Not in the least.

Depends on what field you're wanting to get in.
Generally, no.

In my opinion, I do not think that it is necessary. I've lived most of my life working hard jobs and getting certifications and licenses. This has lead me to be in a state of financial independence with only minimal debt and a great job to help prepare for retirement.

Yep, me too

While not a college degree , per se' , you did get educated in your field of interest , and this has helped you financially .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.