Agnostic.com

8 4

LINK Dating a sociopath: a common experience for women

Many women fall in love with sociopaths, without knowing it, only to discover after months or years of misery and suffering. Some even lose their health and lives in the process. Unfortunately it's a very common experience, because as much as 2 in 100 men have this trait. Furthermore, there are data indicating that many women are attracted to this kind of deviant personality (the so called badass guy).

I have a PhD in behavioral neurobiology, and many years ago I researched and wrote an article for "Brain & Mind" on-line magazine about the brain of psychopaths (read link). As a result of this article, many, many women write to me asking me how they can know if their current boyfriend or husband is a sociopath, and if they can help "cure" it or how to get rid of the guy without suffering consequences.

Have you gone through this experience or know about some friend or relative who has?

rsabbatini 7 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My husband, who was an emotional vampire, ended our 17 year marriage with an affair last year. I have had a chronic illness my entire adult life, and my health had been in steady decline since just a few years after we married. My husband always passed physicals with flying colors. After I finally got him to move out, which shouldn't have been as difficult as it was, I immediately began to get physically stronger and he was in hospital within days of the doors swinging shut behind him. Twice. I saw a picture of him taken three months afterward, and he was positively gray and looked like he had aged a decade. It's been a year now, and although i will have a chronic illness for the rest of my life, I have lost about 34 pounds, regained almost all the vigor I had before marrying, and can walk for miles. A year ago I couldn't have made it around a neighborhood block without having to rest for an hour. I had no idea, until I kicked the monster out, what he was doing to me both emotionally and physically.

Deb57 Level 8 Oct 2, 2018

I can't say. Historically, I've chosen poorly when it comes to my relationships, but psychopaths? The line isn't very clear...

My ex is with a sociopath. Long story, but he has gone as far as punching her in the face and giving her black eyes, pushing her into a car, pushing her into a table and making her bleed, threatening to take her kids away and burn down her parents house and her place of employment. He has cheated on her numerous times and gotten other women pregnant. He's also threatened to kill himself if she left him. He keeps track of her every move. Moved her away from her friends and family, and of course lies whenever he opens his mouth. He posted half naked pictures of her on his Facebook when he wanted her to do something and she didn't want to do it and said he would take the pics down when she complied. These are just a few things. She has stayed with him through it all, even after having an out....."for the kids". Oh and he would apparently sell drugs when he was younger and then hit the person with any nearby object to knock them out and take the drugs back while keeping the money. I almost forgot the DUIs. He's also a member of the U.S. military. Great guy!

@rsabbatini I told her that. I also told her everything he was going to do and it came true. She feels she can either "change" him, or that he will change on his own. She kept trying to justify it by saying it wasn't always bad. She also said she wants to work it out for the kids. I told her that her kids are going to be in an environment with that lunatic and he's going to teach them everything he knows.

@rsabbatini I also told her he wasn't going to change and if he did it would be when he's an old man of maybe 70. I also told her she might be dead by then. She said that won't happen. Haven't spoken to her in 6 years. She even said she knew he was most likely a psychopath too. It's unbelievable that someone sees everything happening and knows what he is, but still stays in the situation, even when she could have gotten out of it. She had the support of friends, me, coworkers, and her parents. Her parents said something to the effect of, "It's her life and her decision".

@rsabbatini I've said as much before in a conversation on the different types of people who join the military and what they expect to gain from it, but I've found that people need to be careful with that in conversations because there are always some people who have knee jerk reactions and will attack you for insulting the military. I find that mentality pretty disturbing. Mis-characterizing what someone says is pretty rampant, especially on the internet I guess.

@rsabbatini Oh I know you're not. I'm just saying it's been my experience sometimes that people will mis-characterize.

Unfortunately, most women don't even begin to entertain the thought of leaving a sociopath until children are involved. They ignore the red flags for years on end, and when they've finally had enough of the escalating violence, philandering and apathy, leaving the situation is very difficult and dangerous.

Some advice on identifying a sociopath: At the beginning of the relationship, always observe how they treat others when they think that you're not looking. They will treat you well at the beginning because they have an agenda. But if they're nasty to service people or other strangers, cut and run before it's too late.

That, or deal with the future consequences. It's up to you.

There are female sociopaths.

I think women can be sociopaths too.

Very true.

I hope you advised that only a trained professional can change a sociopath. Reminds me of the "make friends with the bully" campaign after the shooting at Parkland.

The probability of a sociopath changing is EXTREMELY low.

@Piece2YourPuzzle exactly.

My lovely wife is married to a practicing sociopath. She finds it entertaining.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80474
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.