Agnostic.com

7 3

LINK A broken idea of sex is flourishing. Blame capitalism. | Rebecca Solnit | Opinion | The Guardian

"What’s terrifying about incel men is that they seem to think the problem is that they lack sex when, really, what they lack is empathy and compassion and the imagination that goes with those capacities. That’s something money can’t buy and capitalism won’t teach you. The people you love might, but first you have to love them."

hemingwaykitten 6 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I saw a post once by one of these incel creatures that proposed a forced distribution of women to himself and his ilk, all sorted by 'number,' of course, like some kind of Stalin-era bread line, with added rules regarding what 'number' class of woman could have sex with what 'number' class of man. Completely ignoring the existence of the LGBT, predictably. Seemed less capitalist than communist to me. 'And here is your government-issued Woman Above Level Seven.'

Makes me really glad I'd be considered unattractive by these creatures.

@memorylikeasieve

Thank you for your keen observation. The Incel movement is rather like a redistribution of female access instead of best man wins. In the Incel scenario, the best men are murdered to provide female access to the "involuntarily celibate." It's a whole new level of entitlement for male virgins!

Some readers are having trouble with the article's mention of capitalism as used, referring to women being treated as property, instead of Capitalism as in cash for sex/prostitution.

I can't blame them. The wording is tricky. Maybe the author should have used "chattel" or "goods" instead. My reading indicates Incels believe paying for sex is too good for "subhuman" females, as is offering a drink or a meal. Rather it is about their male "right" to mate with "superior" women. Paging Dr. Mengele!

The World Health Organization now categorizes the inability to find a compatible sex partner as a disability. Perhaps if I can get my right hand to leave me alone, I can collect some of that disability money from the gub'ment.

Another comic genius....

Wow! How convoluted can they get. The writer is an idiot. The worst kind of an idiot - an eloquent idiot, but the editor who allowed this to be printed is even a greater idiot.

@norealgod

Any reasoning you want to give, or just that your opinion is one everyone wants to hear?

In describing these incel individuals the writer notes, "...some of these men are mentally ill." I would propose that they are ALL mentally ill. They are, in that way, and in my opinion, subhuman. Perhaps you can call them homo sapiens, but I wouldn't see fit to apply homo sapiens sapiens to them.

Besides, their whole faulty premise blows up prima facie, when you understand that they are just cheap, and refuse to procure the services of a prostitute.

Well stated, thanks.

Incels consider WOMEN the subhumans. It's not about them being too cheap to trade cash for sex--Incels believe women are below their regard and would never offer cash to a prostitute or a woman they raped for fun. To do so would be paying for privilege to which they are ENTITLED in their twisted logic.

YOu assume that the claims in this dubious article are true

@norealgod yeah, so? How would you describe them? Or, do you entirely discount the incident, and the reporting behind it? There have been other reports about these characters, you know. Do you think they're just slightly misguided average Joe's? And, I don't necessarily buy everything in the article, I was focusing on the kind of mentality it takes to commit such a horrendous act, and that there are, apparently, more than one of these fools around.

@Condor5 The problem in the article is the jumping to conclusions. A strong example of the fallacy of generalization. it takes a few isolated (ad still dubious incidents) and draws wide sweeping conclusions.

@Condor5 The problem in the article is the jumping to conclusions. A strong example of the fallacy of generalization. it takes a few isolated (ad still dubious incidents) and draws wide sweeping conclusions.

@norealgod as I stated, I don't necessarily agree with the premise. The notion of tying this phenomenon to capitalism is dubious, at best. Prostitution, the so-called "oldest profession", is a form of capitalism, if you want to get technical, and how many millenia has that been around?

In these times, both genders use for personal advancement (good promotion, more , they’re simply bored). The advent of the swipe was close to a death blow for classic dating. The world has irrevocably changed and so has the social landscape. Even “the powers that be” are having a hell of a time keeping the lid on things like they used to.

Hey, did you read the article? I'd like to understand how it relates to your comments, thanks.

@hemingwaykitten What I’m saying is that beyond what “news” is spouting off, I’ve seen no real world happenings like what is described. Ok, I will admit probably the very affluent engage in those activities but in all reality, how many regular folks do you REALLY believe have access to the MEANS to participate in that? No one that I’m aware of. Less affluent people of ANY sex have always been and always will be exploited by those with money/power to establish and maintain dominance. It’s as old as time itself. It will NEVER change. Riddle me this, if those of great affluence really didn’t have THAT much power, why do feminist and LGBT activists from decades past (pioneers in their prospective areas) get banned from colleges where their supposed to give a speech on X topic?

Something? Nothing?

It’s because the advent of the internet and the rapid influx of information available to most all these days has made it much more difficult for them to operate in the shadows. The only real change I’ve seen is more widely reported violence. It’s always happened and always will, we just have a means of receiving the news now. I’m not saying it’s right, I’m not siding with them, I’ve got no desire to waste energy thinking about them. It is what it is and always has been.

“They try to twist the problem like it’s white or black, BUT if you come to shoot me - yo I’m shooting back....”

Nothing frightens them more than a well armed, well trained, well informed populace. Knowing that they COULD do thatbis enough to make them piss their collective britches.

@orchidrise
Incels is what this post is about. If you don't see it happening, it's on the DL. The blogs for Incels aren't that hard to find. Who's participating? The many white males pissed off because they can't find good jobs and were never exposed to social skills, empathy or compassion. They gossip in their digital houses about having women's bodies as a RIGHT because they can't get sex any other way. Two of them have participated in mass killings in the past year. So yeah, it's a thing.

@hemingwaykitten

Ok.

I did a bit of research on the whole “incel” business. While I don’t disagree ON THE WHOLE I’m getting the vibe that this is all being blown way, WAY out of proportion. It all came across quite similar to the whole “alt-right” movement. They had some rally in DC (not technically US soil BTW, answers?) that had 200-250 attendees.

BRUH.

BronyCon (An all male My Little Pony fan fest) had SEVEN THOUSAND attendees the same year.

Bollocks.

I’m NOT saying those people aren’t out there doing terrible things for fucked up reasons.

I AM saying that a couple of real world occurrences and a load of keyboard warriors does not a threat make. If you truly are that fearful for your safety? Get a gun, an asp, some mace, a knife, ANYTHING. Learn everything about it, how it can be used most effectively and in the least amount of time. Should any asshat try to treat you as chattel? Kill him and do it slow....

Well, that's sad, and it also makes me angry, and I don't know what I can do about it, other than treat people in the right way. I will say that I have raised my children not to be that way.

That's all any of us can do. Thanks.

An insightful analysis. I suspect this article will arouse some hostility. Brace yourself.

I always do. Thanks!

@hemingwaykitten Something that might interest you. [haenfler.sites.grinnell.edu]

@MarkF

Excellent article on where Incels hide and what they believe--thanks for sharing!

"As is consistent with men’s rights activism, incels think feminism and women’s sexual liberation is a net negative because women are not choosing to have sex with them. Ideally, incels would be able to have access to women’s bodies whenever without any backlash—or input from women. Women do not have any worth unless they are sexually available to men according to the incels."

@beansontoast Some of the replies really add to the original post, don't they?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80537
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.