Agnostic.com

121 15

Are atheist as racist as religious people?

In my life I have found that more prejudice and racism has come from Christian people. Ironically I was told to not be "unequally yoked together with non-believers." Well, those are the very people who treated me as an equal human being.

Thoughts?

Rideauxb 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

121 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism and racism are quite separate. In my experience, people living in China and Russia are commonly quite racist and a significant proportion would also be atheist. However, people who are inclined to question things and live in places where religiosity is expected, may question both religious and racist beliefs.

AnnaT Level 4 Nov 21, 2017

...and people living in Amerikkka are not?

@mscee65 I believe the point of the two countries named was that they were primarily atheist and still hold a fairly high degree of racist ideals... not that Americans are less racist, just that they are considered more religious.

Usually Atheists are a lot more intelligent than the rest...so, racism isn't an issue for us.

I come from a town where the kkk marched through the streets with signs calling for the death of Oprah when she wanted to come down after hearing our segregation "laws" ended in the late 80's.
We had a bronze plaque on our court house lawn that read "nigger don't let the sun shine on your back in Forsyth county" that was taken down in the late 90's. They passed out kkk and white supremacist recruitment fliers in my highschool.
Basically if you are black and it's dark in my home town, Good luck. At least that's how it was. These days it's not nearly as bad. Just a bunch of old racist white people and their less racist hick spawn.

Now I'm white. I have a Dutch mother and a father who was never around who is half white and half Arab. But I look white.
I consider myself somewhat racist. A recovering racist if you will. Even though my mother was married to a black man in the 70's and is dating another black man now.
Even though I have many minority friends and have dated many dark colored women. I still have subconscious and even conscious racist tendencies.
I'm 24 and I still have these thoughts.
But to answer you're question.
Most of the atheists in my hometown are like me.
Will stand up when someone is being overtly predjuced and try to better themselves.
It's a weird thing. I don't want to be racist. But I am :/

yes sometimes atheists could be more evil than religious people. Especially if they are communist.
some of atheists don't believe in religious rights or in Individual freedom.

I think atheists are more open minded in their attitude to people, having no inbuilt bias for any particular group or sect. Having no atheist church, means each atheist thinks for themselves and is not influenced by the prejudice of religious dogma. Which accounts for quite a bit of inter-racial strife.

I believe that atheists usually have arrived at atheism by examining their own minds and conclusions. Atheism is not taught as a belief as other religions are. The reasons atheists do not join together is because they have not been taught faith. They believe in their own minds and abilities to distinguish bias. In my past, I realized that I could not love or respect a god who demanded allegiance above all as in the first three commandments.

I don't believe that atheists are as racist as religious people. They have at least one less bias to begin with. In addition, atheists usually have arrived at their decision by themselves and each has slowly realized that they are individuals and respect others for that reason.

I am origionally from the Netherlands. Many people are agnostic or atheist there. Churches are closing. People are running away from religion. Most racism there came from the religious people. I moved to the US in 2010. People are way more racist here and way more religious. Makes you wonder if there is a relationship between religion an racism.

Religion is a practice that teaches its students to accept things as truth without proof, it even teaches them to find proof where none exists.

That, itself, is the definition of prejudice.

I'm quite certain that if you asked any mental health practitioner worth their salt, they would confirm this.

It is no surprise the religious are among the least intelligent and most uneducated, and often lack critical thinking skills and are accustomed to 'not seeing the obvious'.

Now, religion aside, it is also not uncommon for people to have a difficult time understanding that words, especially those describing the non-corporeal, can often have many multiple, non-congruous definitions, and have a very difficult time responding appropriately to certain ones, especially words with religious backgrounds, and especially if they are emotional about the topic.

The above, failed to mention the reality of those who have great success in small, closed off groups whether they be family units or work or friends, 'culture shock', you know.

Agreed. The most prejudiced people I've met so far are Christians.

Atheists all over the world have a very similar worldview, as do theists. The difference is that theism almost always evokes the idea of superiority, and that transcends to all kinds of hateful layers of thought.

Absolutely not.

I think not . Atheism offers a level playing field to all.Most causes of racism can be traced back to religion.

I don't think any particular group has the racism market cornered, so nobody is instantly off the hook, but it does seem that those with an in-group mentally are more likely to be conservatively religious. I try to take people as individuals, not as representatives of their group, so I don't tend to lump all Christians or members of other religions in together. Until someone shows me their true colors, I make an effort to reserve judgement.

Most racial arguments that I have heard are Biblical arguments. When there was great controversy around the civil war and during the early 60s a big part of the racist arguments were in fact religious. Slavery is never, not once, condemned in the Bible. The folks that wrote books supporting slavery around that time used the Bible more effectively than those who opposed it for the simple fact that the Bible does support it. The Bible also fosters a us/them whoever is not for us is against us attitude that quickly can take on a raciest bent. Atheist also tend to believe in evolution which treats us all as one species. In light of that, no I don’t believe that atheists are anywhere as racist as religious people.

gearl Level 8 Oct 28, 2017

Governments, big business, and religion all supported slavery. To do so they used the bible as a reference and separated people into ethnic groups (races). Take into account that the bible was written by men who claim that it was (God's Word) and he supported their right to own slaves. Governments, big business, and religion had to believe in evolution to designate people of color as less than human so they could justify enslaving them. Are atheists bigots, prejudice, and discriminatory? We are human and I believe just as fallible as anyone else. Is the percentage a little lower? Possibly.

No because they are more intelligent as a whole.

I'd say for the most part non-believers are less racist simply because we've educated ourselves, which tends to make most of us more liberal, hence, we actually believe in equal rights and treatment for all. Sure there's some exceptions, but most of the hate comes out of conservative/evangelistic ideas of white male supremacy.

I would be surprised if they were.

no-way

Of course they can be as bigoted as anyone on the planet. Fortunately, it seems that the numbers are small and they don't seem to be in the public eye much at all. Part of that may be because of education, but I think the largest reason atheists seem to be accepting of all is the mere fact that they have not only rejected the god thing notion, but all the trappings that come with it in the form of religions. Rejecting that, it seems to me, also means rejecting all the nonsense regarding 'chosen few', 'superior moral ground', 'my god's thingy is bigger than your god's thingy', etc.

Here in Georgia there are more religious people than anywhere else I have lived. There are also the most openly homophobic and racist people. I think that atheists tend to be better critical thinkers, which is why we understand that race doesn't define a person.

I lived in Columbus for a short time, but didn't notice many problems. The worst places I have lived was in little towns were color isn't present. Going to Junior High and High School in Plattsmouth, NE, our annual festival was the King Corn Carnival or KKK. After being boycotted while I was in High School, they added two more K's to make the Cass County King Corn Carnival. At least they've updated to the Plattsmouth Harvest Festival at some point since. Now, I currently live Montana where loud and proud bigotry seems to be widely prominent. People seem more willing to put down others when they're not present to defend themselves.

@mt49er I agree with racism being more rampant in all white communities I grew up in a white blue collar suburb. The overt racism was one of the reasons I left. I now live a very multi-cultural area near the city center. During the 80`s we had a huge riot here (in Toxteth). After which it became a "no-go" area for police. Some of my old friends from the burbs look incredulous at me when I tell them it was the Muslims (mostly Somali) that straightened out the place.

I'm not sure there is a real correlation here. I have met many racist assholes of both theist and atheist leanings. The simple fact is that everyone has their own racial biases built in. No one is the perfect "anti-racist" ideal.

My feeling is that the average atheist is less racist as the average theist.

I think without the entitlement of religion, racism doesn't have as firm a hold. There are of course notable exceptions. The typical racist's argument is god intended them to be the superior race.

People are people. All can be and are racists. However, religious people are told to be racist as a way to gain immortality. I feel most racism is based on some sort of dogma.

@JackPedigo's You are onto something here; religious people tend to be far more authoritarian than non-believers. It is that ability to believe what they are told that leads to them being far more likely to be racist not the religion itself. Fundamentally racist dogma is not that different than religious dogma the ability to swallow one set of lies without question is the same ability to swallow another set without question.

Can you tell me if the bible actually supports racism or condemns interracial marriage?

@Beelzebub For one thing slavery is a form of racism. The bible is full of it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.