"The Bonobo and the Atheist"

• 3 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 9 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
Xtravisx 4 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Both nature and nurture. The foundation for empathy and collaboration with a sense of fairness is there from birth. It's expression is influenced by culture and society. Its expression often seems to be perverted by religion.

In the words from the move South Pacific ( 1958 ): "You've got to be carefully taught."

If not genetic we learn as we go through life.

Ultimately we end up being the sum of our experiences.
We could compare Pavlovs theory, we could quote Nietzche, or Freud, or any of the countless, and well known authors of the human psyche. But the greatest influences I believe will always be our parents, and family in general, they are after all our first teachers, and children are so observant.
Having said that we at some point we end up if we are lucky making our own choices, the difference from being young adults to elders is that we hopefully have an idea of what is good, or bad.
We the most of us anyway understand compassion but what if you grew up in a world that had none, the same with empathy, honor, loyalty, love (the higher more noble qualities of humanity) ... what if you were raised without any of those qualities.
We are products of our environment, and what we begin with as children, all that joy, all that naive beautiful wonder, that slowly disappears with the reality of what the world has become.
With luck we don't lose hope we push onward and try to not only recapture that natural safe well guarded child that loved without question, shared without condition and were just generally all round kind people.
I totally went off tangent ... sorry I do that now and ... well always.
This is a wonderful subject ... I can't wait to read more.

I agree with carlyhorton below - scientific/psychology experiments have shown that even small babies appear to show empathy and have a sense of fairness, which would seem to indicate that it is in our genes. Other aspects - rights, duties, specific right and wrong, I think are developed by societies.

I bit of two of the choices. We're hardwired for some empathy and a sense of fairness, but how we apply it in our society is learned. In some societies, the application of religion seems to be able to suppress some good natural instincts.

it for sure varies from culture to culture. Someone mentioned about on the topic of positive reinforcement. I believe part of this is true also.

Studies show that both newborn humans and higher animals are born with an innate sense of morality in some things, such as justice.

Everyone loves the YouTube video of the scientist giving two monkeys, in different cages, a piece of cucumber each time they pulled the correct lever sequence.

But after a while, the first monkey was rewarded with a delicious grape for pulling the levers, but the second monkey was still given a piece of cucumber, when it completed the task.

The first monkey immediately screamed in rage, hurling the piece of cucumber at the researcher!

a wonderful example.

my thing is, is that most people really wanna want to demean other animals. Like its downright silly for us to be like a monkey because we can speak!

Primates are awesome lol.

Would rather be a bonobo than a chimp.

Guided and influenced by all of those things but ultimately up to us to make a decision.

I have edited some of my mistakes. My only excuse is a headache. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82391
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.