Agnostic.com

20 1

Why do so many people avoid calling themselves an atheist?

If you "don't know" but don't believe, then you're still an atheist.

lkahleski 6 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use this "title" as a subterfuge. I am really nothing. "Atheist" is the closest I can get to describe my position. I don't really like using it because it means that "theist" is the default position.

A little while ago I read a post here asking why there is a word for not believing in religious non-sense. I think there is something to that. I consider myself a member of the atheist community, yet I try to use a -to me- a more practical perspective. There is no way to tangibly know, in the same respect, say that I know there is -I'll us gravity-it is measured to an extent. every day I am aware of weight. That the spinning planet we live on creates a gravitational field and is interlocked into Einsteins E=MC squared that I almost kind of passively understand from reading. I believe that there is gravity, I am certain that it exists.I cannot systematically prostrate what it is though. It seems similar in it's way, atheism. I am sure that religion is BS, yet I cannot tangibly out it out there, and consider my thinkings as agnostic. It seems like an honest answer to me.

ps. Adding the first comment to your own post is bad for your eyesight.

Why are some people so concerned about labeling other people? Mind your own life. Do not tell anyone "what they are."

I have the same line of thinking about labels that other notable non-believers have, but I really don't care what people call me. It's like making up a name for people who don't believe in earth being flat, what would you call them, aflatists? Or if you don't believe in the tooth fairy or the easter bunny, there are no made up words for those people, they just don't believe in those myths. I do not believe in religions, I do not believe in gods, want to call me an atheist because of that, I don't give a fuck, but why perpetuate a label?

There is a perception in the United States that athiest must be evil since they don’t believe in a god. I am now very vocal about who I am and what I believe, taking a leaf from the LGBTQ community. I think the more people know that their sister, co-worker, neighbor is an athiest, we will change that perception.

Totally agree with you!

Why do I have to call myself when I know were I am? Do not label me... I am not a jar in a shelf!

The word "Atheist" was defined incorrectly many years ago in the Catholic Encyclopedia and was given a very negative connotation. Our society still hasn't recovered.

Negative connotation. Also, I think that it is hard for some people to completely give up the idea of spirituality even after they give up religion,

Truer words have never been posted.

From my own experiences there were 2 reasons I held off using that term at first

1. There was such a stigma growing up about that word and being told that atheists were evil and immoral, etc..... so naturally I wouldn't want to be associated with that

2. I didn't have a firm understanding of the meaning usage of the word; I thought it was a deeper meaning than simply "I don't believe"

Now I have no issues calling myself an agnostic atheist ?

When you are brain washed into religion, it takes a while to get out of that mind set. As a child, I was terrified of dying and going to hell, or of the being left behind in the "rapture". I said I was agnostic for a long time, because I was afraid to say I was an atheist, just in case there might be a god. But eventually, I was able to say that I don't believe in god, and to call myself an atheist. Now, I kind of consider myself an anti-theist, since I see how much harm religion does, the world over. That being said, I consider myself so fortunate to have broken out of the religion (cult), I was steeped in from my birth.

Good for you! Religion was a big hurdle for you, it seems.

Not me, proud Atheist here.

I'm an atheist. Its not really a thing. I'm a ging too 😉

@kenriley aww thank you Ken xxx

In the past "atheist" had a more negative connotation.

i've never hesitated to describe myself as an atheist myself.

I did for many years. It was not a sure deal in my head and heart, I had not really formulated or come to terms with my true feelings. I did not want to not offend or alienate my children, family or friends. Now I do not care who or if anyone likes or dislikes me or my ideas.
I am adding this at a later date. I grew up mostly in the midwest, Kansas to be exact, the bible belt. I now live in Vancouver, BC Canada where most people are non believers or atleast very open to most ideas.

I don't avoid it at all.

I believe that some people are fearful of the social stigma attached to it.

In my experience calling yourself an atheist does two things: it prompts others into assuming you are as dogmatic as fundie Xtians and prods some of those Xtians into trying to prove you wrong.

It's stupid and exhausting and not nearly worth the effort.

Personally, I feel immense pride not falling for the beliefs in any gods that have traumatized so many and destroyed so much in our world. Statistically speaking, the odds of being a believer are pretty high and the odds are people will believe at some point in their life. So it's a relative rarity to be able to think on one's own and deny god's existence without verifiable evidence.

Even among other atheists, many non-believers still avoid labeling themselves atheists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82670
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.