Agnostic.com

6 7

LINK Baboons kidnap and raise feral dogs as pets - YouTube

The dogs become part of the baboon family, and protect them at night and against other feral dogs.

EdEarl 8 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There are many animals that make friends with other animals. We had a horse that could not be separated form her cat.

True. Sometimes there are odd couples, tiger, lion, bear friends, a lioness who adopted baby gazelle, rabbit and house cat, etc. This story is baboons using the dogs as a tool.

Baboons also eat dog - But so do certain groups of humans.
Is this a clue into how early men tamed wolves?
I know they are extremely intelligent - they used to hitch-hike on the old Nairobi to Mombasa road. They would run out on to the road, and when someone slowed down, jump onto the bonnet (hood for Americans), where they would hold the wiper base for stability. The driver would continue the journey, with the baboon obviously enjoying itself, until it reached the place it wanted to go, usually 8 or 9 miles further along. Then the baboon would start signaling, and when the driver slowed down the baboon would jump off, run to the side of the road, and pause, as though in thanks.
Later, a car traveling in the opposite direction, would be stopped.

IDK what it means. All I have are questions without answers. It's interesting they hitchhike, too. They really are smart.

That is a little weird! I am surprised the puppies would live through that rough treatment!

It was rough.

Wow...just wow!

How did they learn it? What tiny steps did they learn to discover the whole?

Very interesting

How long have they done it, before watching humans or after.

Whoa..interesting.

Baboons deserve greater respect for their intelligence than previously, IMO. But I knew little of them. That's using a dog as a tool; chimps and bonobos use inanimate tools.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83259
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.