Agnostic.com

32 8

Honesty time — how tightly wrapped are your morals?

First post and it's a deepie, but I'm interested: I've grown up an atheist so have never worried that there's someone 'watching'... And to be honest, I've lived my life amorally — I have a strong moral code of fairness and kindness, but only where it suits me, and until recent years was quite unconcerned about being a thief, a liar and a self-centred manipulator.

Alright, much of that may stem from my psychological makeup after a weird childhood, and I'm not okay with being any of those things these days as I'd rather be proud of the person I am. But I realised that it had crept up on me and I'd accommodated it, as I had no fear of ever being 'found out'.

I'm interested to know if any of you have bent your morals to suit yourself, or if you've always been 'good'.

DaveMania 6 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments (26 - 32)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oh yes, I have bent them. When I do this I am shocked at my own depravity.

Studies Show that People who are Good lead happier lives. I like Richard Carriers take on Morality (in Sense & Goodness without God). Everyone should pursue Happiness, but with Compassion and Integrity. So in other words, while you may put yourself first you will do so as long as it doesn't hurt others, society as a whole and doesn't undermine your own personal integrity.

My moral fortitude is strong now but hasn't always been. I cheated on partners when I was in my 20's but learned a (and well deserved) lesson and changed as a result. I have never stolen anything because I was raised learning to work for what you want and that taught me to respect others stuff. I truly struggle with understanding how people can continue to want to overpopulate a struggling planet and find it to be happy for friends who are pregnant, it leads me to believe that they're not paying attention.

Had a bit of a weird childhood myself, which left me very sensitive to the golden rule -- specifically to how much life can suck without it.

Interestingly, tho raised in a very conservative religious family (for the most part, that's part of the weirdness) I've never had any sense of being watched by anyone, either natural or supernatural, so that never factored into my morality.

The only "morality" that counts is not to harm the person or property of another. Outside of that, your life is full of choices as to what you consider ethical. Stealing, killing, battery, vandalism are wrong. Period. Sexual lifestyles and proclivities, religious doctrinal choices, philosophical leanings, personal benefit (greed) vs the common good are all personal choices that should be open to anyone. Not to say that one won't be judged for them - we all judge each other (and ourselves) constantly - but that level of morality should never be legislated.

We are all unique in terms of our mental makeup. You could argue it's nature, nurture or both that shaped your way of thinking. Regardless, some are fairer than others. We all won't arrive there at the same time and, in some aspects of life, we probably won't get there at all The key is to communicate and listen to ideas about fairness and morality, look at ourselves and decide whether these ideas are for us. Someday, someone will appreciate your efforts.

I had a weird childhood too, abusive parents with mental health problems that the wider family wouldn't help with so I was pretty much on my own growing myself up .I read at an early age and lived in books - I fantasised a great deal and basically lied without knowing that it wasnt a great strategy , then I decided to never lie and got into quite a lot of trouble with that one as well.I like the idea of lying if I really need to to get myself out of bother but most especially if someone else is being arsey. I am not great at communicating with more than one person at a time so sometimes I just run away - It makes people wary of me and that helps me too - they should be wary. I have d.I.D and if triggered communications can get very silly.

jacpod Level 8 June 14, 2018

Yeah — I recognise the fantasist part. I moved house an awful lot as a child and didn't have a long term home until I was 10, so I never had a sense of where I came from. As a result I fabricated my backstory to sound far more exotic than I actually was, and kept that behaviour up well into my thirties... To an embarrassing degree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83305
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.