Agnostic.com

8 2

What's your stance on TNR?

This is about feral cats and I expect comments on both sides of the issues, so please keep it civil.

Here's an article to move it along:
[takepart.com]

AstralSmoke 8 May 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Any invasive species that can do great harm must be removed.

Cats are considered to be the worst invasive species in America. They cannot care for themselves.i support getting rid of as many feral cats as possible. I urge all cat owners to keep cats inside only.

I live on a tropical island with a dwindling native bird population. Those against TNR feel the feral cats (even if fed by the cat lovers) will continue to kill the rare birds in the uplands of our island. The cats were introduced somewhat recently, the birds have been here for centuries. I am neither a cat lover or a bird lover, but I take the side of the birds on this.

What does "TNR" mean?

I speak English, not Acronym.

Trap, neuter, release. It's a political step to appease two parties. One loves cats at all costs to other critters, the other doesn't like feral cats roaming the city. I apologize. I hate it when people assume things.

Geeze.... i don't have an opinion on this.

Can’t believe it!

@AstralSmoke. Ok... theres just to much pro and con about it.

Always been against TNR, not even sure that it is kinder from the cat's point of view, especially with full ferals as it involves restraining and transporting the cat in a cage for a significant time, which must be incredibly traumatic for a fully wild animal. It also doesn't pay any heed to the animals the cat will continue to hunt and cats can be extremely cruel to their prey. I've even argued in support of my local rangers using firearms to dispatch animals rather than cart them all over the countryside to take them to a vet to be euthanaised because as far as I can see a bullet in the brain followed by one to the heart is a lot kinder than being held in a cage for over an hour so a vet can do it "humanely", as if the cat is really enjoying that extra hour of terror.

Kimba Level 7 May 17, 2018

We have TNR where I live, but only in managed, community cat colonies. It has helped to significantly reduce the number of feral cats in the city.

Community cats are provided with shelter, food and water. Veterinary care is also provided, if necessary and if the cat can be trapped. In return, the cats reduce the rodent population in the city. Some of the community cats live well into their teens.

I believe as my father did, a cat's place was in the barn, patrolling for rodents! They are not really an animal that can be domesticated, at best in a home environment they can only be tolerated.

I believe that their lives not only reduce rats (which maybe they do) but also chipmunks, birds, rabbits, etc.

@AstralSmoke Mostly gophers, mice and rats here. The impact on the bird and bat populations appears to be negligible.

@pixiedust I’ve sat in my driveway and watched a cat take a bird right off the birdbath. Also have seen one carrying a rabbit. Those are just the ones I’ve seen.

@AstralSmoke I had a cat who could catch birds in mid-flight. I also had two who would work together to catch rabbits. All three died long ago, though. Now, my personal cats are all confined to the house and the backyard.

@pixiedust I'm glad to hear that. I grew up in the country and we always let our cat out and it too was bringing us gifts. I'm a little more mature now. I love cats and all sorts of animals and have learned that cats should be house cats, not outdoor cats.

@AstralSmoke I agree with you. I had two cats. One learn how to escape out of the dog door, and one stayed indoors. My indoor cat live to be 20 years old. The other one that figured out how to escape disappeared.

It will keep them from reproducing, but those animals will still be wandering around outside, being exposed to danger, and leading miserable lives. Honestly, I have mixed feelings on it. It solves one problem, but it leaves a whole lot of problems unaddressed.

One major problem I have with this approach is that feral cats still kill native animals.

@AstralSmoke depends on how much they are getting fed. A colony that is kept fed would do less damage than one that is not of course. I don't think they are miserable being feral.

@cyndiann I agree. They seem as happy as any wild animal around here. I trap them. Take them to a shelter about 10 min away. Then catch the next one. We don’t have a shortage of them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.