Agnostic.com

16 4

House Spiders

Our homes are occupied by house spiders that are mostly harmless and maybe beneficial. Hard to see for the most part except they leave signs in the form of cobwebs. For the last few days a small spider, a quarter of an inch, has been milling about the ceiling of my bathroom. Today it was in the shower area by the wall and hung down on the web while I was showering, probably enjoying the heat and moisture just like I was. Could have killed it but didn't. Most of the time I let them live unless on the bed or kitchen counter and they go away eventually. Would you have killed it?

• 8 votes
  • 27 votes
Mark013 7 May 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

According to my wife, that's my only job.....kill spiders ????

Have only ever killed poisonous spiders, or those with a bad bite, like whitetails. House spiders sometimes get killed by mistake, when cleaning, or I swallow them in my sleep! never on purpose.

I usually leave them be, unless they're in the way (fucking big spider!) and then I just chuck them outside. Probably pisses the spider off 🙂

No, spiders are beneficial, interesting and I love watching how they move.

No. Spiders are just hungry too.

When they get like this,do ya get a flame thrower,or anti Tank gun??

If it was a yellow sac I would have killed the bleep out of it(indoors OR OUT). Everything else in my region gets to stay, minus basement spiders who just have babies to have something to eat & creep us out.

Jumping spiders are given utmost respect. Those are either put outdoors to increase chances of finding something to eat or allowed to stay, and my daughter sometimes makes pets out of jumpers.

I love jumping spiders! This is the most common British species, Salticus scenicus, also known as the zebra spider or the dancing spider 🙂

@Jnei Oh gawd my kid would be losing it right now!!! Yes jumpers are the BEST. When we're out of town she's always stalking for a different species than what we typically have LOL

I don't mind the typical house spider Tegenaria domestica (the barn funnel weaver in the US) as seen in the first photo, but I hate the spindly Pholcus phalangioides in the second photo!

Jnei Level 8 May 20, 2018

/X( ;::; )/X\ - Sorry we're scary, we mean you no harm! Just wanna eat some bugs, fren

Spiders eat the other insects. And provide entertainment for the cats.

Unless it was a poisonous one, in which case I would have killed it.

The top ten poisonous spiders can sometimes kill within hours. Luckily I don't live a country that has them.

I name the spiders I find in my house

LOL For years my girl named everything "Gerry"....

There are no harmful ones in the UK, so it's best to leave them to get on with eating other things that you want in the house less.

Except the False Widow, which has a sometimes medically significant bite. Like most spiders, they're content to sit there waiting for food and keep away from humans.

My Grandmother told me to never kill a spider. She told me when Jesus was a baby and hiding in a cave with Mary and Joseph from Roman soldiers were looking for male Hebrew babies, that the soldiers were going to go into the cave. When they walked toward the cave they stopped and said, "nobody has been in that cave for a long time, look at all the spiderwebs covering the entrance , no need to go in there".

LOL!!!!

I only usually kill them if they're dangerous to humans, otherwise I leave them alone or release them back outside.

Mea Level 7 May 18, 2018

House spiders are indoor spiders. May survive outside but not their natural habitat.

@Mark013, to be fair, not all spiders that make it inside a house can be called "house" spiders.

I would have shot the spider. lol I hate spiders completely, found this one in my house one day, i went and woke up my neighbor at 2 am in the morning screeming like a little girl lol she had to come over and kill it.

Looks like a big Garden Spider. Had one one year outside on window ledge. Went to look one day and just a few pieces left, bird got it.

well i almost pulled my 9 out to shoot it was huge!

@Mark013

That's horrible, but it doesn't look poisonous, just pregnant.

well its been dead for a 1.5 years now lol i hate spiders.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:84122
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.