Agnostic.com

29 3

If you were brain dead and on life support, would you want your family to pull the plug?

If you want, explain your reasons for staying on life support or pulling the plug.

• 0 votes
  • 55 votes
KatieHowie 5 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a critical Care RN (now retired) I've seen dozens of sad cases wherein a brain-dead person has been kept on life support for months because some religious fanatic in the family browbeats the others by claiming that pulling the plug is murder. The real sin lies in prolonging life mechanically when there's no quality of life. I haven't been afraid of death since my tour as a Combat Infantryman in Vietnam, but my experiences as a Nurse cause me to dread the process of a prolonged death.

Once brain dead, there is no way to recover.

Seriously though is you were really brain dead then you would not want anything. Brain dead means not having to worry about anything because you are basically dead already.
I think the question should be reversed, so as to ask about future wishes.

How would I know? If it wasn't my time to die, I wouldn't.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:856
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.