Agnostic.com

8 2

From my experience, new athiest tend to be very angry. Their anti god stance comes from a wrong that they felt was dealt to them by a church memeber or the church as a collective.
My father was a preacher when I was a kid so I spent a lot of time studying christianity. I like to think that I arrived at my athiest belief through study and reason.
How can we best help those who are angry at "the church" so that their belief can be based more on reason than emotion?

Dbterry 4 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think most of us arrive at our anti-god stance the same way we arrive at our anti-unicorn stance. The lack of evidence and reason lead us there. I don't think it's anger that turns people from a belief in a deity.
Being angry at organized religion is not, however, an unreasonable, unjustified position. Organized religion has done, and continues to do, great harm.

I agree with you. I guess what I’m saying is that I think anger at “the church” shouldn’t be the reason to deny a god, reason and logic should do that.

Their angry about all the wasted time in church and the Sunday mornings they could have slept in.

godef Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

I seriously do not think it is any of our job to invalidate their anger. Be the example, sure, and support positively, but allow them to work through it and heal. I was angry as well, but time has mellowed it.

Zster Level 8 Dec 16, 2017

I hope that isnt the meaning you took. I truly don't want to invalidate anyones feeling. I only meant that logic and reason should be enough to disprove a god. I hate that so many people had to be hurt in order to examine the logic of atheism.

Sorrow at the hurt that religion has caused many is something we definitely have in common. I wish there was no need for it.

I grew out of my anger as well. Now I find it's stupid and funny.

Can't say I disagree with you. There are too many athiests out there who would burn down every church, temple and synagogue on the planet and impail all their members until dead if they thought they could get away with it. Which as far as I'm concerned makes them no better than militant christians who blow up abortion clinics and shoot up night clubs, schools and church's.

I think allowing them to vent to understanding people and poeple who have had similar experiences is the only thing we can do. Eventually... hopefully... this will allow them to get it out of their system for the most part. Although I doubt they will ever be free of it, I do think that anger will be greatly diminished and usually only surface when the subject arises.

I think anger is a partly a response due the fact that one feels lied to if they have come from a religious background

Live and let live my brother. Time to heal will help them. Hearing others on this forum will say what they already feel and they want have to say what's on their minds.... my opinion my brother.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8640
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.