Agnostic.com

33 9

I absolutely love the holidays. I don't believe in god, never have but I love the songs, the lights, the foods, the decorations. Anyone else?

Crimson67 8 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love Xmas. Just about everything "Christmas" has all of its roots in paganism and/or secular custom, anyway, so I don't even feel weird about it. I just politely correct the "Christ in Christmas" crowd when it seems appropriate and worth it and roll my eyes and ignore them when it doesn't. My kids are all atheist/agnostic, as well, and my son's fiance is pagan, so we actually outnumber my poor Cristian parents, lol. Tbh, since I've learned about the "3 kings" (Orion's belt) following the north star to the Sun on/around Xmas, I can even tolerate the religious stuff more because I try to look at it like they're acknowledging a souped-up version of a natural event in our solar system.

Me too; and the general feeling of goodwill this time of year.

I'm totally with you on that viewpoint. I always loved the music, lights, foods, and decorations.

SamL Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

Yes. I also enjoy the holiday season. It's a great time for family get togethers. Here in Australia we don't get cold weather during the Xmas season. Just heat waves. Great time for dipping in the backyard pool and cool drinks and salads.

that just seems unnatural

Same, the holidays are my favorite time of the year.

I actually made a post about my love for Christmas. I pointed out that Christmas belongs to everyone regardless of one's beliefs.

Me too, including the music.

I'm that way... the more traditional the song, the better I love it, I just soak i t up. But hey, I've always enjoyed a good science fiction or horror novel.

godef Level 7 Dec 16, 2017

Exactly!

Still have the lights going. miss the singing. love roast potatoes and the tree came down dec 30

Holidays are meant to be enjoyed. You don't have to believe in ghosts and goblins to get into the Halloween spirit.

All the major holidays: Imbolc, Beltane, Samhain but espeacialy Yule!
Your cute! From Portland OR.

As today was the shortest day of the year, we need to do something to keep up our spirits. Big bonfire tonight for solstice. Love the colored lights, just make it seem cheerier. Like having a decorated green tree as a lot of outside is brown. Love songs with great harmonies. Like the old carols, and drinking songs. Have a large family with 6 kids, 14 grand kids, and 2 great grand kids, like being with them. And then there are the special foods that only come out at this time. Pecan pie for instance. Also time to kinda of take stock of the past year, and think about what might come next..

Christmas and the holiday season always bring up fond memories of my childhood: Decorating the tree, presents under the tree, outdoor lighting and displays in the local neighborhoods, and the excitement of Santa Claus! As a child and adolescent, I would look forward to a capella carol singing on the doorsteps of neighbors with my friends and peers.

I wish. I'm not Bah-Humbug, I don't hate them. But with a family that's not close, it's hard for me to find something to get excited about.

You are not alone. They are beautiful and fun. You don’t have to be religious to enjoy them. Plus some of the things we do have nothing to do with religion. Like Santa him self. I think and I will check I think Coca Cola started him and his look.

Ditto. I think for me it's because everyone feels they need to up their "nice" game. People are more civil. It makes me wish like it was like that year round...I know I try to make it like that year round, but not because of any virgin birth...It's who I am.

I like the trappings of the season. Lights, trees, parties, gifts etc. Those things are secular and pagan in nature. Midnight church service turns me OFF! Christianity hijacked the traditional solstice celebrations.

Not I.

I was married on a Christmas Day (Don't take it against me, it was 1980). Been divorced 17 years, I am not a big Holidays kind of guy. Kind of Neutral but Anything that brings Joy and Unite us for a Good Time is Okay with me. I have to be Cheerleader this Holiday because of the passing of My Brother In Love but I will Do Anything for My Kid Sister and She Knows That So I am All Game These Holidays, It is for A Good Cause!!!! Christmas in NYC... New Year Eve in DC... 2018 Back to Vegas Via Florida. Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Season Greetings and Joy to All of Us.

I hate the holidays. Anyone who believes it's about religion is deluding themselves. It might have been in the past; but now it's all about how much loot you can get from people.

That's great... so many people get depressed around the holidays.
I'm so much better with them now that I don't have tto work..

Of course

Alrighty... just be happy. I support my wife's being happy. I'm ok with it all. I just don't believe in god. About 1percent a supreme being out there somewhere. That's it.... have fun.

I find a lot of joy in the holidays. It brings about a different, pardon the pun, spirit that makes things seem a bit more fun. I'll celebrate the holiday traditions, but just don't follow the same "reason" for the season. After all, the reasons we proclaim today were not the same as the original holiday reasons.

I'm happy for you .

I'll admit to having a fondness for much of the associated classical, medieval, and folk songs , as I've sung in choruses that performed such things. Not into the meanings - but the music rocks - so to speak !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8646
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.