Agnostic.com

18 7

Any experiences with Chantix?

I smoked from 12 to 35. I was quit from 35 to 46 (guided imagery, aka hypnosis) and for some dumb reason started again last year. Its been amazingly difficult to quit this time so I started taking chantix. It was fine until just a couple days ago. I feel dull. Like all excitment is gone. I feel almost sedated. And I know this sounds weird, but a crazy crush I've had on someone... one that I've been fighting, (but one that oddly feeds me,) it's gone. I don't think about him at all. When i do, it's dull too. (For a year it consumed a lot of my thoughts, now nothing)

Im not craving cigarettes anymore. I actually have had only 2 today and just smoked a couple of drags and put it out. It smells horrible all the sudden and tastes nasty and I get no "pleasure" (dopamine release) from it. But has it dulled all other dopamine receptors? I almost feel crazy for wondering so much but I've completely noticed a marked turn. I'm usually so fun and positive and scatterbrained. I'm feeling dull and blah and boring and idk what.

pepperjones 8 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a freind who used it sucessfully, it worked well for him, but of course it affects some people differently.

@pepperjones a friend of mines was on it and woke up in the middle of the night choking his wife....of course he stopped taking the chantix

Any updates, hopefully, some good news?

@pepperjones You sound great! Here is a song to add to your playlist:

One of my cousins had one of those horrible side effects that the commercials mention. He woke up one morning with blood all over his sheets. Apparenty, some time during the night he got a knife and sliced his arms up. My father lived nearby and got him to an ER. He was stitched up and was fine after a few ciggarettes. Seriously, he chose to take up smoking again after that. He's the only one I know who has tried it. I'd say his response was almost unheard of so, I wouldn't advise against it though.

One of my cousins had one of those horrible side effects that the commercials mention. He woke up one morning with blood all over his sheets. Apparenty, some time during the night he got a knife and sliced his arms up. My father lived nearby and got him to an ER. He was stitched up and was fine after a few ciggarettes. Seriously, he chose to take up smoking again after that. He's the only one I know who has tried it. I'd say his response was almost unheard of so, I wouldn't advise against it though.

@pepperjones unfortunately he passed away a few months later. Unrelated, tragic, gruesome accident. I'll spare the details. That was 5 years ago now. I drive by where he worked twice a day. Constant reminder. That's all I have to say about that.

Isn't it Prozac re-branded?

Wellbutrin is.... afaik... it's double prescribed.

@Qualia oh yes, its wellbutrin that is Prozac rebranded.

@MrLink Prozac not "rebranded" As far as I know (afaik)
Wellbutrin is prescribed to smokers & for depression.
@mudhen afaik= as far as I know 🙂

@pepperjones Chantix sits on the dopamine receptor to block absorption of nicotine, it doesn't block dopamine however & gives a little dose of dopamine to curtail the need for nicotine. There isn't another drug that I'm aware of that is capable of affecting the dopamine in this way. That's what sets it apart from the other Rx for smoking cessation. You just don't get your dopamine from nicotine.

@Qualia very interesting. Good info, Qualia!

Chantix works wonders on me. I don't even have to take the whole thing to cut down a great deal. When I KNOW I'm going to be some place where continuing my deadly habit will be an issue with time, & space, I take one.
But everyone's different. The 1st time I was prescribed it, was when they came in those complicated as hell packages. I was able to tolerate it for 3 weeks until the technicolor nightmares began.... ok
Year or so later I managed to quit on my own(NO Rx) after pneumonia/flu... for 2 months, and the dr when I needed some kind of support to keep me off it, talked down to me as if I was a heroin addict. I just needed help over that hump. ...relapsed. I will NEVER forgive that man, in this lifetime or the next.

I cut down a great deal when my husband got lung cancer, nearly quit. i tried VERY hard to get him to take Chantix, even getting him a script myself. He never took it 😟 There came a point, probably a couple months before he died. I just let him have his "binky" and quit hinting...

I've been wanting to try laser acupuncture for this forever, but need to research where a good place to go for it might be. I'm not a lifelong smoker, late in life in fact(31) ...my story is dumb af... (cloves were my gateway) . Thankfully they made me sick enough to quit when pregnant & I was good with that, but post partum I began to get very stressy & again relapsed when my normal palate returned.

I hope you're able to find a solution that works for you. Even if it's just to cut down. And fwiw IME either my body chemistry changed, or the generic of Chantix made it easier for me to take. I'll never know. But whatever works.

Vaping scares me so I won't do that. (my dh had 2 pens...)

I quit on April 10, 1994 after 17 years of smoking. I used nicotine patches and behavior modification techniques from an old video titled "Stop Smoking for Life" from the American Lung Association. I think the important thing about the dual prong approach is that I was an habitual smoker as well as a nicotine addict. So, I used the behavior therapy techniques while still on nicotine to break the habit and then tapered off the patches to kick the addiction. About three weeks after I quit, I noticed I was feeling particularly nervous one day. It occurred to me that I had not put a patch on that morning after I showered. Since I was already about halfway through withdrawal, I just never put another one on.

When I took it years ago, it caused dreams so vivid that I thought they were memories.

Mundane activities and work related for the most part but it began affecting work when I was certain something had been done or said that had not been.

Fortunately, the 2 weeks I took it was enough for me to white knuckle it the rest of the way. Coming up on 12 years.

I am a Chantix success story. I quit may 6 2010 and I have never had a craving since. It did give me very vivid and highly sexual dreams. But I didn’t really mind them at all. But I have heard of several people having bad reactions and behavioral problems. Whatever you do keep working at the quitting

Phin Level 6 May 21, 2018

@pepperjones the ex was sad when I finished the meds also

I once tried Nicorette......found it very difficult to light

It is all brain chemistry & everyone reacts in their own way. I have never been so addicted to anything that I could not just put it down or wean myself off of gradually. I empathize for those that have this propensity. Yes I had cravings but as a child I taught myself that if I want something so terribly that it consumed me, I would discipline myself to avoid it until I was free from the yearning. I can resist temptation with such ease & put down the tobacco in an instant. I will not permit anything to control me. Especially something so damaging as an addiction.

From your previous posts, it is apparent that you are normally a fun and positive person. In fact, as I recall you turned getting caught in a downpour in Washington DC into a memorable adventure.

What you are describing are symptoms of depression. For the last several years, I have been taking Brupropion for depression, and my symptoms include feeling dull and blah, lethargy and apathy. Brupropion has helped me, and I believe it is sometimes used to aid in quitting smoking.

When I quit drinking alcohol two years ago, a prescription to Naltrexene was very helpful in reducing the cravings. I took it regularly for six months and kept it on hand for a few months after that.

I am not a medical professional. Stopping any type of addiction is extremely difficult, but the results are worth it. I encourage you to call your doctor/prescriber, make another appointment to discuss your symptoms and possibly another course of action. You have been through a lot already, so whatever you do please don't relapse.

@pepperjones I tried chantix when it was first marketed in us. It made me so depressed I could have just stared at the wall. Called my pharmacist and was told to stop taking it immediately. Long before buproprion was known to assist with smoking cessation I took it as Wellbutrin. I went from more than a pack a day to less than 2 packs a week. It eventually caused me to be very hyper and anxious. Don't know if any other meds help with not smoking. I still smoke tho.

Sorry about the side-effects. I smoked along time,started taking Chantix.I haven't smoked for at least 10 years,with little or no discernible side-effects. This truly is a wonder drug!

Glad it worked for you. I have a tendency toward depression anyway, so it didn't work for me.

I tried it without much luck years ago.Ive been vaping for 8 years now. feel better, but wish to quit this someday as well.

@pepperjones try not inhaling, you absorb the nicotine in your mouth anyway.

I've tried, & am trying again, Buproprion. It helps, somewhat. My brother-in-law tried Chantrix & had a major personality shift. Some people have become very prone to suicidal ideation with it. If you think you're far enough along with the "quitting" it might be time to back off the Chantrix. Talk with your prescribing physician & see if you can just stop or need to taper off. Good luck with both!

If you are on other medication you are in for a tough ride , crazy dreams , waking up with headaches , sweating , nausea . It's been 5 months since my last cigarette 3 since my last champix I only did half the course so they do work of you want them to it's just the side effects . ,(Times may vary as I'm not good with time these days )

@pepperjones the way I looked at it was cancer is worse than going through any of these withdrawal symptoms they will pass . Coffee and plenty of fruit juices helped me

A friend persevered with Champix. It made her ill nearing increased doses, and I wonder whether that is what it is supposed to do. She did not quit, as I don't think she was really ready to. Stephen Fry endorses it in one of his books. Another thing re first example, is it may have been incompatible with other meds she was taking. I have heard a number say they felt nauseous.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86513
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.