Agnostic.com

30 6

Love will set you free? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Our true selves are already free, by default. Our bodies can never have total freedom. Having a special other frees you in some ways and binds you in other ways. By sacrificing part of our personal freedom we gain companionship, security, intimacy, etc. it’s an investment.

I've not thought of it that way...but I think you're right. There's always a price.

FALSE! Love is messy and complicated. A temporary chemical reaction that makes you crazy. Self love, perhaps.

Define love....
Define free....
1969... love was free...i was there. Then i went to Vietnam in 72 and it was 2 dolla baby son.
Love will screw you up. Some guys thought lust was love and married whomever put out. Then later they started figuring out what they did and tried to run away. Hell... i dated a girl for months in 70. She eventually told me she was married...lucky me.
Free... that will get you in big trouble. Because now you think you owe something for the free. Nothings free.
Loving yourself..... now thats it. That kind of love ...that will set you free.

Agree 100% bro ?

So many questions getting the same answer.
It depends. Love can put you in a ditch with a bullet in your head.
Or it can bring you coffee and bonbons.

I think there is a difference between love as a concept and being in love as a way of being. No, for the concept of love, yes for someone who is actually in love.

Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence.”
― Erich Fromm

cava Level 7 May 21, 2018

Understanding, knowledge and truth set one free. Unfortunately, they also set one alone.

It can do.

Love may set you free and it just may well imprison you too ....

free from what?

That's my question as well.

I'm going to say false because I think it's a bit too vague, as well as a bit too fairy-tale oriented (if you're in love, everything will be fine!). One interpretation I'd go with is that if you're in a loving relationship, you're free to be your true self, so if that's how it's interpreted, I'd true, but I think a lot of people interpret it as the fairy-tale love.

There's all different types of love, so I would say true.

Set you free from......? It really depends on what you think you need to free yourself from. If all of a sudden I would feel love for our Buffoon in Office, #45, DT; I wouldn't be free I would be bound in chains to a nefarious force that is evil

Well,
What kind of love?
Set you "free", from what????

Free of what? Love🍸 my ex wife. She is an addict. No amount of love, or asking her to change helped. Did love free me when I had to say that I was better off alone than watching her hurt herself and risk exposing me to legal and financial ruin? I think its simplistic to say "love" does anything. Rather, caring people looking for mutually beneficial solutions sets you free and gives you room to breath and achieve.

Nope.

I don't want to sound like a cliche, but if i do, so be it. Freedom, like love, is in your heart. Those who depend on others to set them free are in for a tough life. There have been people in prison, in concentration camps, and living within paralysed bodies who have been freer than many. Their freedom comes from within, not from without. The challenge for humans who can't seem to get a ticket to ride the freedom train is like being a prisoner of and dependent on external self-esteem . They are prisoners of their own needs, instead of being in control and free of those chains controlled by others.

Yes, my love for my children!

Free from what?

Love is an serious mental illness..... Plato.

Coldo Level 8 May 21, 2018

Absolutely true, however to fully understand the meaning of such freedom one must suffer the slavery of extreme loneliness first....

Free from what?

Yes and no. Depends on the love, on the other person, on you.

Because when you have your true love there your mind is set free and stable.

Truly, love set free when you’ve the right partner to make you a complete whole being. The false part of it is really God dam bondage when one chose/fell in love wrongly and eventually got married wrongly.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86528
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.