Agnostic.com

11 1

Funeral Rites

As nonbelievers how would you like your remains handled after death?

Maybeimamazed 4 May 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Donating my body for research & organs.

I have been a life long believer in cremation, however, if given the chance I love the idea of the urn tree. Ideally my ashes or tree would be somewhere my sons would choose.

Don't care... but one of those tree thingies would be cool.

My wife died two years ago. We knew she was going to die and we discussed what would happen. She wanted to be cremated and have a memorial. She was cremated the day after she died and the memorial was a month later. It was a good gap as people were a bit less sad and could celebrate her life. The hall was decorated with things that represented her. 6 people spoke about various passions in her life. At the end we all went to the local river and the people that wanted to could take a pinch of her ashes and scatter them in the river. There was no praying or mention of any gods. Since then I have arrange for her ashes to be scattered all over Australia and the world.

I want to be cremated. My ashes should be gathered carefully and sent with a special death-wish request to Sophia Lauren, that she take them for spreading to a remote area or sea coast in Italy to be disposed of. If she showed compassion for an old man with a life-long crush, I'd have the greatest of all achievements to brag about in the hereafter.

"I got my ashes hauled by Sophia Lauren!" Why should Carlo get all the envy?

But you would never know....

@Ellatynemouth I think one doesn't ever know in the way the word is meant; sort of like in Tempest. "...we are such stuff as dreams are made on and our little life is rounded with a sleep." 🙂

I've assisted several families with funerals of their agnostic loved ones, all of whom chose to be cremated. (One even asked that the service be centered around the pushing of the incineration button!) Also most of whom asked for their ashes to be buried or sprinkled in a special place (or several places) where they could become a part of a particular landscape (or seascape) they loved.

I had one family for whom I was conducting funeral services for 3 deceased family members... all of whom were sprinkled in the ocean in an area shallow enough to allow swimming before the tide came in... and one of the surviving family members undressed and swam with the ashes swirling around her, for one last happy interaction with her loved ones.

Oh, and for me, I'll leave that to my daughter and son to decide. I'm sure I'll be cremated and scattered somewhere, perhaps around a flowering tree in their back yard or something. I haven't discussed any hard and fast instructions just yet! What happens with my remains is up to my survivors, as it won't matter to me. All I care about is that they remember me fondly.

I'll be dead. I really don't think I'll care what happens to my body after as I'm no longer using it. I would hope though that someone could use my organs or something. However It makes no difference to me.

id like to just be left for other life to consume me but I guess ill get cremated with no funeral

Cremate me, use my remains too grow a tree or the coral reef program

Cremation, then ashes fed to a tree, to contribute to the earth, which is my mother.

As for any friends or family who might miss me, I recommend a party, with DJ and dance floor.

Wait...I'm the only one of my relatives and old family friends who loves to dance. Well, a party with great food, anyway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87250
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.