Agnostic.com

24 2

Is it not as easy to say there is no god, as it is to say there is a god?

Both comments require no proof and are based on no evidence. Some religions can easily be discounted based on facts, but to completely say there is no possibility of a god (not even a Douglas Adams God) without any proof seems hypocritical.

I'm not trying to be offensive, I would just like to understand how someone comes to that conclusion.

Personally I do not know and I am fine with it. It's like trying to wrap my head around quantum mechanics. Some things don't make sense but still work.

Fulishsage 6 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am certain there is no "god", nor have any gods ever existed in reality.
Unless and until credible, verifiable, evidence to the existence of any god can be
presented, I feel absolutely secure in the knowledge that all gods are nothing but
mythology.
There is no "there" there.
It's not remotely complicated.

Basically how I feel about things, but once I make the statement I feel responsible to find evidence. This is what makes it complicated for me.

@Fulishsage That's just it though. There is NO evidence to be found. I've been looking for decades, just so I can feel like I've done my due diligence.
There isn't anything "complicated" about that.

@KKGator thanks that makes sense.

There is no God has plenty of proof. It's called reason and simply looking around.

It's easier to say there there's no god because I don't hold the burden of proof. Besides there are thousands of gods that man had made up based on their ignorance or something or other. For example let's call it a god that moves the sun across the sky. Then man learned different and that notion seems preposterous

Once you make the statement the burden of proof is on you. I agree disapproving gods are easy. Simply walking to the top of Mt. Olympus disapproves quite a few. An perfect god can't be imperfect disproving Christian god as well as many others. What about a imperfect idiot of a god that's good at creating stuff?

@Fulishsage show me proof

@ashortbeauty there is no proof that's my point. I agree the notion seems preposterous, but it can not be proven.

@Fulishsage and the burden lies with the claimant. So back to where we started.

Of course it is. Anyone can say anything. I do NOT require proof, but I do require evidence, facts and data to support any claim. Your mileage may vary.

The Sagan standard: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

They are both easy to say because there are no really long or difficult words to pronounce in either statement.

Actually, most atheists seem to take the position that the burden of proof for a god is on the theist making the claim & said proof is not there, & the god of the gaps grows smaller & smaller, therefore the odds of there being a god shrinks accordingly. Since I can't definitively prove the negative that no god exists, tho that seems most likely, I have to remain agnostic on the subject, but just barely.

Who says there is no god(s)?

I say there is no god because I've seen no proof (evidence) to the contrary. Until proof is given, I'll maintain the stance that god does not exist.

The person making a claim has the burden of proof.

KenG Level 6 May 22, 2018

I disagree with the burden of proof concept. That is a bit of legal jargon that means something in court but not in society at large. The is no burden of proof. The only burden is for each person to look at the available evidence with an open mind. There isn’t even a requirement to decide.

There is nothing wrong at all about propagating opinions, speculation, metaphysical ideas, or total fantasy.

People like to say that there is NO evidence for this or that thing. There is always some evidence. What they mean is that the evidence is not scientifically acceptable. But we are not doing science—we are discussing metaphysical ideas or intuitive opinions or what have you.

@WilliamFleming You are welcome to believe what you want, but if you are making a claim: I say you have a burden of proof.

@WilliamFleming A claim made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

@okiestache Perhaps you live by science, but there have been many, many eminent, creative, scientists who were deeply religious, among them Einstein, Planck, Bohr, Edmonton, et al. Being deeply religious does not mean that you make claims for the existence of God. and try to prove those claims. It means that the very concept of existence is baffling, and that you are in awe and wonder.

Max Planck said in 1944, "As a man who has devoted his whole life to the most clear headed science, to the study of matter, I can tell you as a result of my research about atoms this much: There is no matter as such. All matter originates and exists only by virtue of a force which brings the particle of an atom to vibration and holds this most minute solar system of the atom together. We must assume behind this force the existence of a conscious and intelligent mind. This mind is the matrix of all matter".

Planck had every right to express his intuitive thoughts, and he had no obligation to prove them to anyone. BTW, there is abundant evidence in physics for the primacy of consciousness.

@okiestache, @KenG You are right of course. No one can force another person to believe something.

@KenG, @okiestache I neither affirm nor deny your assertion. You need not offer evidence or proof. I will file this bit of information in a very remote part of memory. If corroborating date comes to light I’ll think about it more.

It's different...

There's the god that made the world in eight days and watches over us...

And there's the other 'god', the possibility that something we don't understand exists somewhere in this gigantic universe.

Before we can discuss whether there is a god, we have to define what we mean by “a god”. Words have no intrinsic meaning. They are just things we use to describe something.

@KenG

Exactly.

The proof of burden always lies on the backs of those claiming something TO BE TRUE, no burden of proof is required to say something doesn't exist.

For instance, I say that cows do NOT fly because there it's NO EVIDENCE of it. I've seen thousands of cows... But never one flying. I don't have to prove they can't fly because observing my environment and the scientific method have led me to that conclusion. If you are certain that cows can fly, the burden is on you to prove it to me, not the other way around.

Great analogy, appreciated.

If you say ‘cows do not fly’ then you do have the burden of proof. Any claim bears the burden of proof. I’m afraid you’re wrong

Have you never heard of The Black Swan Fallacy?
[en.m.wiktionary.org]

@KenG Are you really that dense? The fact that you don't see them flying is your proof...and the fact that I had to explain that to you shows just how dense you truly are.

@KenG this is your idiotic logic... Prove to me that this is not a banana.

You are the new face of the Trump Republican party... And if you're not Republican then you should be.

I bet you're a flat earther, too.

@Clauddvon So you resort to this just because you realise you are wrong about something? It’s very childish. Did you Google search: ‘The Black Swan Fallacy’? It will explain everything. Oh, and grow up!

@KenG here's something to research and chew on. Fuck off. No time for imbeciles.

I don't do Google searches based on the recommendations from morons.

@Clauddvon So when you're presented with evidence that your beliefs are wrong, instead of arguing your point, or pointing to other evidence to back up your beliefs, you descend into a tirade of expletives. How very childish. I no longer wish to engage in a discussion with such a close-minded individual. All my love.. Ken

@KenG I already so fuck off. Not sure why you hit my back. Disappear.

@KenG your argument was invalid a long time ago when you uttered your very first words.

@Clauddvon Can you clarify where you think I am wrong? It should be easy to determine which one of us is correct, or if one party has not understood the other properly.

My argument was that anyone making a claim has the burden of proof in all circumstances.

I believe you were saying that if someone makes a claim that 'something does not exist' for example, they do not bear the burden of proof.

Am I correct that this is your opinion?

@KenG I thought you were done already? I know I am. I don't throw pearls before swine.

@Clauddvon ??? Ok

I think it depends on who you're talking to, believers are not rational thinkers.

Can't argue with that and I've learned don't argue with them.

You are a god, the beginning, the end, the strong, the weak, the alpha, the omega.

Just be.

Very easy ! Just say it, "There is no god " ! Simple.

That's my point, it's just as easy to say there is a god. A statement does not create fact.

@Fulishsage
I am not trying to create fact, there is no god, just saying it !

Because there's a complete lack of evidence for a god. Stating there is a god requires faith because there is a complete lack of evidence. Saying I see no evidence for a god, therefore I don't believe one exists is just common sense.

That makes sense

You cannot prove that fairies do not exist. Do you think that the belief that fairies exist is equally as valid as the belief that they don't.

JimG Level 8 July 24, 2018

No I think not believing in anything is valid, but I think if your adamant about a belief either for or against something then you've clouded your ability to think critically.

Nth time (lost track already) ... Personally IDC

Sometimes ,the abscence of evidence can be counted as the evidence of abscence.

Here's the deal. I have an old cast iron frying pan that certainly is God, and you can't prove otherwise.

You're logic is based on the misconception that both options are of equal probability.

Take your two statements and replace the word god with sasquatch, unicorns, or dragons.

JimG Level 8 May 24, 2018

I find it very easy to say "god isn't real" or "there is no god(s)".

Clapton is god ?

To the OP, is it easy for you to say there is no Santa Claus?

Yes because it can be proven. Record chimney's on Christmas.

Only a small fraction of houses in the world have chimney, yet that doesn't stop Santa from delivering. Your thought process is flawed. Besides, Santa has magic reindeers that pull his magic sleigh, don't you think he has enough magic to defeat your silly GoPro? You can't prove jack.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87381
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.