Agnostic.com

11 0

Do you want to "evangelize" chistian family and friends? If so, how does this affect your relationship with them?

Liberal50 5 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Naw, if their beliefs are working for them why would I mess with that? My deconversion took years and so far has been the most painful thing I've ever done.

Plus if what they're doing works, logical arguments or questioning their beliefs will seem like a challenge or even a personal attack.

Over the last 20 years, I've ran into many people whose religion wasn't working for them and I strive to be like some of the awesome people who helped me when Christianity stopped making sense for me.

I also don't take offense when people say they'll pray for me or whatever. I take it as a sincere wish for me to be ok, grow and be healthy.

Evangelize? No. Educate and encourage reasoning through attentive discussion, rather than brain-dead normative arguments and other idiocy? Yes.

@Liberal50

Thank you. I have written extensively on this topic, as well. I am a VERY firm agnostic of over eleven years, and I am proudly narrow about it. I basically reject everything outside of Huxleyan ideas of agnosticism, and any definition of agnosticism besides his definition.

Evangelize isn't the correct word unless we're preaching the gospil of "get the hell out of my face with that crap!" 😛

People who proselytize for any reason are uniformly annoying.

They believe they are happy. To me it is a demonstration of "ignorance is bliss". If I were to try to change their beliefs they would just double down. They need to find their own way out.

They have to find their own way to truth. Many of them never will. The best way to promote change is to immerse a person in a different culture which gets them to challenge their beliefs, but treats them with dignity.

Are you saying that ultimate truth has been discovered and that any honest and intelligent person will come to hold the same opinion as yourself?

How do you explain Albert Einstein, who spoke of God?

@WilliamFleming No, ultimate truth has not been discovered. As for Einstein, even geniuses have feet of clay.

Yes. I want too.

But I don't.

Because I've learned better.

Only thing that bothers me is them posting things as DEFINITELY TRUE because JESUS. Those posts bring out a knee jerk, um, that's not neccessarily accurate.

I'd love for them to come to reason, but I do not bother to attempt to bring them
to that realization.

No.

I have a deeply religious sister (a local church preacher) and neither of us speaks to the other about religion or faith.

'Using' your mother to try and put religious pressure on you was disgusting. In your place I have no idea hiw I would have reacted.

No. I tell them to get away from me with that bullshit and don't care how it affects any relationship. If they're religious we don't have much of one anyway.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87477
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.