Agnostic.com

3 1

LINK The Evolution Of An Atheist – Molded By Reality

By way of further introducing myself and my writing, here's a link to an essay explaining how I became such a staunch atheist.

Thanks for reading.

JLR

jlrucilez 5 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for sharing your story!

Nice essay. In your closer, I don't know that I'd characterize religion as THE driving force behind ALL war and "mistrust" (or really, tribalism). Because it's so entrenched, it's hard to tease out when religion is the cause or the symptom, or when it comes to things like war, the cause or the catalyst. In other words I think some of what goes off the rails in human interactions is not so much because religion wants it to, as that religion is used by the true power-mongers, or weaknesses fostered by religion are exploited.

For example in WW2, I think it's safe to say that various forms of nationalism / fascism are the root causes, and I don't know that the xenophobia that was exploited by Hitler and Mussolini were directly fomented by the religious. What I hold religion responsible in that case for was its moral impotence (not imparting their supposed superior morality to their members, thus serving as a true "leavening influence" on the host society so that such evil would be nipped in the bud; not standing up for what was right, or in the case of the RCC, actually making Faustian bargains with the regimes to protect its own interests, etc). But just the same -- that's a pretty huge moral failing of religion, all on its own.

I enjoy reading deconversion stories. Thank you for sharing yours.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.