Agnostic.com

21 2

Do you watch/have read "Handmaid's tale"?

Given all events that have been taking place lately involving politicians and fundies chipping away at reproductive Rights, domestic terrorists and rise of violent incels... I want to ask, if you are a man and you are aware of the story in the topic, do you watch the show? Have you read the book? If you are a woman, same question to you. Any other gender identities, I ask you the same. I've read the book, I am watching the show. It's terrifying and sickening, more so, because I can actually see it possibly coming true. I want to encourage you to get familiar with it if you are not already, and if you don't want to, why not?

• 14 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 18 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
Blizzard 7 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Read the book and am watching the show. It’s a little shocking it was published in the 1980’s considering how horribly relevant it is today.

I agree wholeheartedly with "horribly relevant"

I have read the book and am on season two of the show and yes I find it terrifying because it hits so close to things happening in the United States and where the Evangelicals would like our country to be. I could barely watch the first episode of season two because it was so disturbing.

I read the book a few months before the first season. Love the show and am current on the second season. I'm glad they continued past the place where the book and season one concluded. Into the unknown...

I haven't, though I might in the future when I have a little more mental/emotional distance from the subject. Many of my friends who were also raised submissive/quiverfull found it triggering and I don't really need my sources of entertainment to give me panic attacks. πŸ˜›

Oh, man. Had never heard of quiverfull so I looked it up. Damn...

I totally understand, besides, with that kind of experience, you don't really need to watch it. I am glad you have escaped.

Yes my wife and I are watching it here series 2.
It's good and it's one of those programmes that we can watch together.

PRAISE BE...

Hey people here actually talk that way on a regular basis. Being told "have a blessed day" and "God loves you" any time I conduct business can be rather unnerving.

Watch it and have read the book. Freakish that there are people who would readily embrace that happening here. Pence could be a starring character along with Devos being one of the Aunt's

It's a great show, well made and an eye opener. My jaw hit the floor during the first season. I'm very much into the second season and love it. I'm a bisexual female. I think this could have happened and maybe still could, but we are a pretty strong community with many allies these days. It wouldn't happen over night. And you're right, we all need to be aware of it and do our best to prevent this.

what scares me, is how it actually did happen in other countries, such as controlled by Muslim fundamentalists for example, or in those Christian sects, where child marriage, rape, etc etc are completely fine. The most terrifying part is, that it exists in the US, and other "developed" areas of the world. Would it be a stretch to say that this is impossible?

The point is it did happen overnight. There was a coup, some panic, and the next thing they knew women didn't have any rights as citizens any more - their jobs, bank accounts and property were given over to their "nearest male relative". If Pence suddenly became President, I could see it happening in the ensuing chaos.

I read the book, I don't care to watch the show.

I've read the book. I recommend it highly. The author is Margaret Atwood.

I read the book, and also watched the movie from 1990. Chilling and disturbing because of how close it is to certain segments of the U.S., and how likely it could be to happen.

Extremely well done show, just finished season one will start season two tonight. Frightening the similarities( though not as extreme) ( yet) to current events

I just haven’t got around to it yet. With any steaming show that is worth anything I need to set aside hours, possibly days to get the necessary binge

Seen the movie with.Robert Duval,Faye Dunaway.I don't rate the series as highly.

Coldo Level 8 May 22, 2018

I liked it too, but I like both for different reasons

I watched the show and on the strength of it have the audiobook ready to go once I have listened to approx thirty others on the list πŸ™‚

Watching the second season of the show noiw.

Read the book years ago. I hated it.
Far too many correlations to society when I read it. Even more of them now.
I have no desire to watch the show.

Understandable.

I got through the first season, but I won't watch any more of it. It's too disturbing for me to watch alone.

Read in college years ago and yeah it's fucking frightening. Have thought about watching the show or the older movie but not sure I could make it through...

it's tough, as I commented earlier, the show hits you much closer, because of all added details. Atwood does participate in the show production from what I know

Yes, read the book and enjoy the series. I heard that there's going to be a third season.

I think, third season is certainly needed. I just hope they don't keep it on screen for too long. Then it would lose all its meaning and become just a "show"

This show is very dark. This season seems even darker than season one. I’m not sure I will continue with it. And yes I have thought what a terrible world it could be if this came true.

I had to skip some scenes in both seasons because I couldn't bring myself to live through them. I understand

My girlfriend started watching this, and I started catching bits and pieces of the show. Before I knew it I was watching full episodes of it. It's a great show!

Tell your friendsπŸ™‚

Read the book and watching the series. The last episode felt so current that I could have been watching the nightly news. It gave me chills, especially signs in the crowd. At the ending I was cheering, but there is little to cheer about in real life, where people are already griping that the current generation of breeders aren't dutifully breeding (and why should they with the world such a mess and children literally unaffordable to most of them). But beware - the religious zealots who are breeding with all their might may become the majority someday.

The recent uproar about all the immigrant children ripped from their parents and "lost track of" by our corrupt administration has little difference from children being stolen on the series. Our religious right agrees with Trump who has labeled those children as "animals". Now that we're on that evil path, its not much of a stretch to start labeling all non-Christians as "animals" and treating them the same. And then, expand that into all people on their second marriages, which is how the main character had her child ripped away from her. Or anyone in a non-traditional first marriage.

Ever since I read the book I wondered how I would fare in this scenario - my first marriage, which ended in divorce, was to a person who eventually had a sex change. So does their God consider me still married to "her" or am I allowed to be religiously divorced from "her"? Is my child from my second marriage "illegitimate" under their rules - or do I get a pass due to the "gender traitor" first marriage? I mean, if all this comes to pass, he's my "nearest male relative" and might get awarded all my property...so inquiring minds want to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87651
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.