Agnostic.com

14 1

Question about death?

If there is no direct evidence of the death of a historical figure, can it be a possibility that the person never died?

DZhukovin 7 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Seriously?

There would have to be some proof that they were still alive. If you are lost at sea and there is no body to prove that you died then you are still declared dead after 7 years.

Still declared dead after seven years!? That's jumping to conclusions!

@DZhukovin I don't make the laws, just passing the info along.

@Surfpirate Yeah 🙂

No everything that has ever lived will die

Edgy

You have no direct evidence of my birth, so can it be a possibility that I never lived?

Yes, because you could be an AI, since we're over the internet in May of 2018?

@DZhukovin awwww.... You think I'm intelligent <3

@DJVJ311 Haha why not (no homo)

We know enough about biology and human physiology to assume that after a given amount of time everyone will die. That is the default, no amount of wishful thinking will change that without some very compelling evidence to the contrary.

JimG Level 8 May 24, 2018

Yes, and that is part of the inquiry. What would that evidence be and is the evidence at least plausible?

Of course not. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Extraordinary evidence or correctly handled evidence? Why is there so much pushback on this curiosity about hidden subject matter?

@DZhukovin I don't know what you mean by "correctly handled evidence" or "curiosity about hidden subject matter."

It is possible "you" will never die. The reason is a variation on the Schrodenger's cat problem. You can't observe yourself to be dead. Thus if the multi-world interpretation of quantum uncertainty is correct, anytime there is a choice between the observer being dead or alive, the observer will only observe the "observer alive" world of the possible multi-world's.

For example, if you have an emergency operation in which the probability that you will survive is extremely small, say 10%, you will always only see and inhabit the universes in which the outcome is in your favor.

I know this wasn't your question but because I've been educated as a quantum physicist I can't help but think in these lines.

No, for example, it is extremely unlikely that Hitler survived his bunker episode.

Universal perspective gets nebulous.

Because person A cannot prove his opinion to person B who doesn't know the proof, analysis and sense completely diverge into two whole disciplines, out of human error, yet this human error cannot be questioned because of subjective preference.

Person B is wrong. Opinions are not knee-jerk things, but what we might say are opinions are almost always knee-jerks, and that is Idiot Society 101.

of course not

No, the idea is contrary to reason. No one has beat death yet, if they were alive over one hundred years ago it is a good bet they are dead now and after 150 years you can be sure of it.

That is not enough to warrant possibility, especially if the belief that said person never lived is not warranted as well.

You are correct. Now, let's say the person DID live, and we also have evidence of it. However, there is just no record of death, so we do not know the person's fate. Let's focus on the more extreme case. What then?

@DZhukovin what is the null hypothesis?

@hlfsousa The null hypothesis is that the person is dead. The claim is that they're not but the probability distribution is not a gaussian curve it's a natural irregular distribution.

@DZhukovin really? How irregular? And how have you reached that conclusion?

@hlfsousa

Because smooth curves don't exist in nature

@DZhukovin smooth curves don't exist in nature, therefore the distribution of death by age cannot be Gaussian and someone can live for centuries?

@hlfsousa Yup. A gaussian curve is a smooth curve, by definition.

@DZhukovin I'm sorry, but that is just plain stupid

I'd doubt anyone could live past 130 years of age, after their purported death with no body found. Always wondered about Amelia Earhart and also DB Cooper.

Amelia probably passed away, to be honest. D.B. Cooper sounds like a deranged, but nonetheless humorous person.

Anyway, why do you doubt this? Is there a necessary conclusion that any human will not be able to age more than ~130 years before they die?

I'm not here to argue. I just think it's highly unlikely that historical figures for whom bodies were never found would be alive once they reached 130 years of age. How many people do you know of who lived past that?

@Julie808 No no, I am not here to argue either, I am just talking about the subject matter, and I was asking a question out of curiosity. However, argumentation is not to be taken personally, it's about the language, not you.

I know of absolutely nobody who lived past 130 years, however that does not mean they died.

And your point being ???

Yes, of course. This is true of anything. If there is no evidence of a thing, then there is no proof of it.

I am glad I am not the only one, but I need the proof of this possibility. My mind won't churn it out.

@DZhukovin I agree. I wouldn't put too much stock in the words of those who reference mortality or longevity of life in this discussion. We both recognize that those observations are beside the point you're making.

I rest my case.

@Shawno1972 Thank you!

I suggest you watch Bubba Ho-Tep:

This is probably a population control to distract people from bothering people who are literally ancient, like Nicholas Cage. Anyway, it is evident that the trailer is a humorous depiction of people with psychotic behavior, but I am talking about something different-How do we, as a necessary truth, KNOW that any given person has died? Why is it necessary that heuristics about the average age of death for a given year be true?

@DZhukovin I was trying to lighten the mood, that's all.

BTW, it is a cool film.

In serious answer to your question - a death certificate usually does the job.

@ProudMerry Yeah he's been alive for at least 140 years. Tissue-vitalizing compounds have cancelled out ageing compounds in his body. There was a lot of discussion about this.

[snopes.com]

@ProudMerry

😉

@ProudMerry Then dig an extra grave for me 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89165
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.