Agnostic.com

10 7

It is time to put up or shut up

We as Freethinkers are missing an opportunity of a lifetime. Currently there are the MeToo,Black Lives Matters, GMO's,Evangelical Movement but there isn't any Freethinkers movement.
Today there is a protest in front of the White House by the Evangelicals.Where is our response and an opportunity to express our points of view. If I were in better health I would take up the crusade but i cannot travel. However there must be among us someone who could rally the members to have a march on Washington and protests in the fifty states. These attempts to identify us as christians which defiles the Constitution require immediate attention.In addition, we need a platform to present our views more extensively. We must take on the view that we wish to oppress religion. I do not care if you want to believe whatever you want but you are not going to ignore the Constitution and challenge the separation of church and state.

As Freethinkers it is our desire to protect those who cannot protect themselves. We support protecting our environment, all animals and especially all people.Our position supports a free political system of the people not corporations or the top 5% of the population. The USA a democracy(republic) composed of a multitude of political ideas,based upon the Constitution for the service of ALL PEOPLE OF ALL RACES,RELIGIONS AND NON-RELIGIONS.Yesterday there was a call to make the USA an official christian Nation. We are not a christian Nation rather we are a Nation where you are free to practice any religion or be a non-believer of any religion protected by our Constitution. Where is the outcry against such actions.?

With the movements of today it is our opportunity to scuttle the devil worship image of the Freethinkers and promote our true image of believing in science and what it can prove for the benefit of all living things. Your suggestions on how we can start this would be appreciated.

Marine 8 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been working on Beto O'Rourke's campaign, he is running against Ted Cruz in November, I feel it's a step in the right direction. We should consider establishing a political party The Freethinkers Party!

I am in Australia, from UK so consequently only see snippets on TV with regard to American internal politics. From my European experience the way forward is certainly through political activity. The minor party pressure groups seems to be the most effective avenue for change. The Greens particularly through decades of consistency have made acres of change to policy, not by being a.major party but by NOT being so. The same can be said for UKIP and the road to Brexit. Good luck with your action.

Like the Greens, in the first instance you will be deemed a joke and ineffectual, a curious novelty but as momentum builds and you gain the ear of about 15% of the population you will be serious players for change. A long road but highly worthy and necessary from what I see as an outsider

I have pondered the same issues, and would definitely be interested in getting involved in a freethinkers' movement. I agree, we need to do something to make our collective voice heatd!

Well said. Hop to it. Let me know where to show up. (the problem in a nutshell)

Your comment becomes problematic with: "we must take on the view that we wish to repress religion".

Should theists around the world conflate this meme with atheism, they'll not only dig their heels in deeper but they'll also feel justified in attacking atheism.

A passive, benign and friendly battle using logic will prove the most effective long term strategy.

I disagree. They already attack atheism. Passive does not work. It's time to fight back.

@Sheilap

It's the worst possible response. It will set back atheism by decades and it will reinforce anti atheist propaganda and reinforce theists' belief in their victimhood.

Atheists will be demonised. The only way to win is not to fight.

And I disagree. The reason they are attacking atheism is because it's gaining ground.

They are already at war .

@Ellatynemouth The best response at this point, is to fight the religionists who constantly attempt to impose their will, is in the courts at a grassroots level..

@MrTallman

I suppose language complicates things. I agree about 'fighting' in courtrooms. That's fighting for justice and freedom.

But imagine if the battle between atheism and theism got dirty.

Imagine a situation with parallels to the Isreal-Palestine dynamic only between atheists and theists.

A hypothetical situation:-

Imagine what would happen if an atheist spat at a theist in the street and it was caught on camera - and it went viral. It's not difficult to envisage how the right wing religious media would opportunistically exploit such a thing for all it's worth. It seriously would harm the atheist cause.

@Ellatynemouth The Israel-Palestine conflict is primariarily a real estate war. The Jews took it and the Palestinians want to go home.

@MrTallman

I should have explained... About the dynamic. If a Palestinian throws a rock at an Isreali soldier, three Palestinian children are shot in revenge. That kind of thing.

@Ellatynemouth Now I get it.

@kenriley

Completely agree.

April 30, 2018
1Jared HuffmanThe Freedom From Religion Foundation is celebrating a major milestone in Congress for secular representation. Several representatives have announced the formation of a Congressional Freethought Caucus that will focus on promoting secular values and will give a voice to freethinking voters.

Thank you for the info. That is just great. I hope they are successful.com/

Freedom From Religion Foundation
I am a member and you can be a member too.
[ffrf.org]

I am

Time to join

Instead of forming another group, why not send a nice donation to the ACLU? They work tirelessly to keep us free from religious and other non-constitutional strictures, andhave been very successful over many many years/issues. They need support now more than ever!

I have

I’ve never thought of protests or marches to be a very effective means for change. I don’t even know what I’d be marching about anyway.

I hear you, and share your difficulty traveling. The theists are organized at the grass roots level, and they support people traveling. We are an eclectic group, who are in the process of meeting each other. They brow beat us, and have caused a kind of shyness used to survive. They have had rulers of the Roman Catholic Empire as strong as many monarchs throughout time. But, I think the benefactor of Agnostic has done a great thing. I think we are evolving, and we will become a force. Perhaps the time is now. We do need a good organizer-team leader, but freethinkers may not take to an authoritarian like the sheep and their preachers.

This reluctance to be ruled by someone is something a leader would be required to know as his community could fall apart over night if he didn't.

[ffrf.org]
We fight them in the courts throughout the land.
Freedom From Religion Foundation

Did you really say "It is time to put up or shut up" and "I can't because I can't travel" in the same post?

Yes I did.I have been writing to All Congressmen and women and financially supporting as many Freethinking groups as possible. I am barely able to walk or stand and going to a rally would be almost impossible at this time.So with my condition in mind i am trying to do my best for the movement

@Marine Fair enough, I just don't think you're going to be able to start a movement from the back and I don't think "put up or shut up" is a great slogan when you can't participate. You may want to apply some more thought to achieving your goals as opposed to more effort.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89437
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.