Agnostic.com

19 3

Food Pantries, Financial Aid, Counciling From Agnostics/Atheists?

A Christian once told me that atheists don't have food pantries, or money for gas and other services, or guidance wether spiritual or otherwise. At that time I couldn't think of anything right off the top of my head. However, now I can name off several secular government funds that do help, albeit for mental health, student financial aide, medical treatment, etc. (they aren't funded or run by a specific religion).

1. Do you think it is possible and beneficial to have a sort of agnostic/atheist funded non-profit, financial/food/counseling aide (not government controlled)?

2. What type of reaction do you think the general community would have to said organization?

3. Do you know of any organizations similar to what I'm talking about?

4. Please add what you think would be needed for such an endeavor.

Thank you for your thoughts !

Jessie 4 May 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have read that Goodwill and Rotary are secular groups doing good works in the U.S. (not a complete list)

Do you not also have the Lions clubs?

@FrayedBear we do! had to look it up. 🙂

@Donna_I I was a local Charter member 40 years ago and the bastards ended up blackballing me worldwide because I had refused to comply with their illegality and so made them do it legally leaving them stupid and being led by their noses by someone with inbred hatred of my nationality and/or lack of religion.

@FrayedBear sounds like a bogus deal.

@Donna_I Yeah I was the only divorcee amongst a bunch of insecure married men. No women members in those days.

All the more relevant now with the US Government shut down.

People don't tend to identify with things that they don't believe in. There aren't any Aleprechaunist charities, either, but does that mean that it's better to believe in Leprechauns?

To begin, Christians have a very organized system, in the church. Atheism does not have that ingrained system. You can look for a local humanist organization and even if they currently don't hold any charitable events, you can suggest something and help get it started.

Agnostic.com is a great example of people offering each offer support outside of government and religious dictation.

1. Absolutely necessary to have human support that is not government controlled in order to offer people help instead of handouts. The gov. is all about numbers of beds filled and has no desire to see people healed.
  2. That would depend on the organization, who the "clients" are, where it is located and a whole host of other factors but there are many online groups already doing this.
  3. Not necessarily organizations but numerous groups are beginning to offer support to others online and Madison, WI has a website called Meetup Madison with tons of free support and education for those of us that wish to be actively involved in health care of some kind including animal/environmental welfare groups and do not wish to be regulated by ineffective policies and procedures.
  4. The biggest need is unity. Find a person that is already doing something you want to promote and donate some resources to them. I give 10% of my income (regardless of source) to someone that I want to help. It does not matter what that person is into be it gardening, art, drones, gaming, cleaning up parks, saving chimps, organic food...if I support what they are doing I make sure they know it. We MUST put our resources where we want them to go instead of buying what is being sold to us. It does not need to be $$$ either since our time is our greatest asset. Whatever our knowledge, skills, resources are, we must make it a priority to get them into the right hands. Gofundme has plenty of options for offering financial support directly to the person in need instead of a church, charity or government agency.

Very well said!

@FallenAngel63 Thank you.

It is clear that you are in the USA without even looking at your profile. Here in the UK it is much more common for such organisations to be secular. Most of our voluntary agencies to assist people with advice, alcohol and drug counselling, mental health problems, food assistance, are entirely secular. I believe some religions do run programmes - the Salvation Army used to run night-time soup-kitchens and coffee stalls for street people, but religious affiliation is rare. No-one cares if they are run by atheists or believers.

I can relate to your post completely.
I work for such an organisation, it is decidedly secular, yet many of he older volunteers are religous, it is not classisifed as an atheist organisation, and our foodbank is run by a church. All of the councellors, welfare staff are non religious. Bit of a mix really.
I owuld love to see such organisation proclaimed as non religious, we just can't as we have to show as welcoming to everybody. I am working on it.

And yet religious organizations can state they are religious so I don't see ow being non-religious would be any different.

@CreativelyMe That is what you would think as logical and reasonable. Yet religious people get all uppity and complain and carry on. As it is I have been asked not to talk to the public at the pantry (because I don't belong to the church). In our office I was pulled aside because I said I was an atheist. This was by another atheist, a gay friend of mine and she was worried that the super religious older ladies would get upset.

@Rugglesby I was not allowed to go talk to the women in prison or work for Catholic Charities, YMCA, Salvation Army... for those reasons. They would never admit that was the reason but the look on their faces when they asked me if I could support their mission told me the truth. I know you are right but this is so wrong.

@Rugglesby Fuck the older ladies. Time that they learned the meaning of compassion and working for good without reward.
A sadly dead friend was for many years a street survivor. She always said that the best food kitchens were those run by the catholic nuns. Apart from the crucifix on the wall, unlike the happy slappies and protestant kitchens they didn't force you to sing and pray and they reserved the preying for themselves!

Perhaps you could have some sort of sign that said everyone was welcome regardless of religious affiliation or none.

Here in the countyry, all you need is need, or being old, or having children or just identifying yourself as needy. We have not for profit agencies funded by grants ffrom various sources. We have religious organizations funded by churches and believers.
I have lunch sometimes with the true beievers, All good people. I keep my mouth shut when they pray, but otherwise they get my honest opinion about whatever the topic of the day is.
I get food boxes once a month,and pass on what I don't need to others. We have Food Link of Western new York; we have grocery stores donating all their day old food to community organization who have volunteers to pick up the food.
Somebody here said Charity is not the answer, we need a government option. No, charity at the lowest level is the answer. Let us develop the connections with the producers, let us look for the needy people whio may not want to make themselves known. Our curerent political climate makes so many people who came her after picking our fruit for many years. They are paranoid about interacting with any government ageny.
Let us volunteer our time, cars, good intemntions, home grown produce and knowledge freely and with out reservation. We hippies had it right all along!

In some ways that is a nice idea - the community looking after its own, but what if it doesn't work, or people fall outside the community for various reasons. And what about the inner cities? Better to have a serious state benefit system so that no-one lives in poverty.

1. Yes

2.The community as a whole might raise a fuss about it, but the people who need the service more than likely don't care about the religious affiliation or lack thereof, as long as they have food on the table.

1. North Texas Food Bank, SNAP

2. Space, a community in need, and volunteers to help

I grow a huge garden and donate fresh veggies and fruit to my local food pantries.
I also give to my neighbors freely.
If the government would stop the excessive taxation/theft from the working class...then I would happily donate even more.
People need to donate in their own communities and stop funding the big charities that pay their CEOs hundreds of thousands and spend hundreds of thousands more on staff and advertising.
I believe in direct source donations --- i.e. taking dog food to the local no-kill rescues/shelter and giving to local food pantries and clothing closets.

Charity is not the answer. A political solution is.

People should not have to beg at charities for food.

This is another reason to hate religion, for it perpetuates the band aid that is charity.

Charitable organizations are counter productive for helping people as they assume one person/group has all the knowledge, skill and resources and the other has none. It is degrading to just be handed something and be told to be grateful for other people when we would gladly serve in the food lines ourselves if it weren't for the us and them mentality that prevents it.
Middle class business graduates that never went a day without a meal sit around a table and decide what all the rules will be. There is a distinct "better than" attitude when it should be "better off, not better than". The majority of non-profit directors make over $100,000 a year so going rogue is the only answer that helps empower people to work together instead of one group deciding who will get to work and what hoops they need to jump through to get their needs met.

I think religious people have more organizations because unlike some of us, most of them actively try to spread their beliefs (often forcefully) and have a lot of control over how they are portrayed because their widespread influence gives them enormous social power. It would definitely be possible to create a non-religious charity or organization based in agnosticism/atheism, but many of us dislike to be very organized about our beliefs, so it could be difficult. The reaction of the community would depend on where the organization starts or if it is even based in the physical world vs. online. An online organization would probably get mixed reactions, as would a physical area that is a little more liberal. A conservative area would probably lash out at the organization. They are often generally less accepting of unusual beliefs (not hating on any conservatives here, it's just usually the truth when a lot are concentrated in an area, because religious people are usually conservatives). I couldn't think of any organizations off the bat, but I looked this up and there is a humanist group in the UK that does a lot. I think we would need to spread these ideas to encourage participants and group members. We also would need to think of some good ways to convince a great deal of people to donate.

One of my proudest moments (in a humble act) was a time I helped a guy who needed gas.

He had been standing on a corner with a sign asking for gas money. I had to stop and get gas myself so I called him over and told him to pull his car up and I'd fill it up while I filled mine as well. He did and we started chatting. He was trying to get from someplace down to Houston (we were in Dallas) so he could visit family. He was a happy guy, full of personality. Then he asked, "what church do you go to?" I looked at him and sort of smiled. His eyes got wide and he took a step back and said "wait a minute." I politely told him I was an atheist. (I say this next part only to help convey his physical movements..) He was a big black guy who I assume comes from one of those loud, everyone claps their hands and says Jesus! after every word from the preacher. (No disrespect, they are fun churches. ) But he slaps his hands together, throws them in the air and says "are you serious!?! You mean to tell me that out of all the people who have passed by me today an atheist is the one to stop and help?!? Oh my pastor is going to get a kick out of this!! Really?!? An atheist?! God has a sense of humor!"

I just sort of giggled to myself and smiled. Told him to have a safe drive and was on my way. Still makes me smile to this day!

I hope that next time you reply with "how could he have a sense of humour? He is a figment of your imagination. Have a safe journey."

A friend and I grow produce every summer and donate to our local food pantry distributor as “Ann Arbor Atheists.” Last 2 years we gave over 1000lbs of fresh produce. So, the organization publishes Ann Arbor Atheists on their annual list of biggest donors.

Beautiful. Well done.

Patience and money

Certainly not all food pantries or guidance organizations are religious affiliated and certainly few professional ones are.

Google secular or atheist charities and organizations.
There's plenty.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:89799
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.