Agnostic.com

15 7

This morning, Monday is the day I go to the local church where the food bank is located to get groceries. Some of the people actually belong to the church-I know a few of them and we're always friendly with each other as we wait outside in the cold and snow. On my way out the door everyone shouted "Merry Christmas" and without thinking I respond "Happy Holidays". They look at me like I'm Loony Tunes. I just smile and keep on truckin back to the car.

sassygirl3869 9 Dec 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I still think of saying happy Saturnalia. 🙂

I really don't know what to say when I read that two college educated women on this post need to go to a food bank for groceries. What is wrong with your country! Not that we don't have food banks here in Canada as well but, they are generally not the grocery supply place for educated people or even a very many people other than in emergency situations. People should not have to go to charities for food it should be a human right.

My boss tells me Merry Christmas to annoy me.

HA! That is kinda awesome!

Yes.

@irascible

I like that, works for me. 🙂

There are a bunch of religious and secular holidays between Thanksgiving and Epiphany, and the term "happy holidays" is by no means a recent expression or in any way anti-Christmas. I don't know why it's so difficult for the religious folks to get past this idea that there's a "war on Christmas." Why must they play the victim?

I don't want to alarm you, but I have been waging war on xmas for about 5 years now. So it's real. Often, I will post Grumpy Cat saying un-xmassy things. I roll hard.

@JohnnyThorazine, So you're the one Bill O'Reilly has been bitching about for years. lol

Tomorrow is the xmas party for our Community Food Bank, which is run by a local church and held at the Community Centre where I work. Due to my height and strength I was seconded to help set up the pantry each week which is 2 hours hard physical work before and after. I found out yesterday that tomorrow will be bigger than previous years as they are bringing in bus loads of residents of aged care communities in the region. So in addition to xmas carols, other music, their will be a bbq and face painting for kids and so on. I also found out yesterday that I am responsible for the proceedings on the day. The church volunteers are naturally very religious as are many of my co workers. So they have a prayer before the pantry opens etc, and all the bless you/Jesus loves you platitudes. Everyone knows I am an atheist, and I leave when they have their prayers as I explained my position and while I will help anyone doing something good and positive, it would be hypocritical of me to stay. The the BIG one for me, people insist on saying things like, "I will still pay for you". and that is when things get uncomfortable as I respond, "I would really prefer that you don't, because applying your belief to me really is devaluing and showing contempt for my beliefs". The Merry Xmas I can handle and simply reply "and you". So if someone ever says, "May the light of the Lord always shine up your alley", I can simply reply with a straight face, "and up yours!"

I just say the same to you

I don't know why they have to get all bent up about that stupid 'war on Christmas' crap.

Few years ago I started to answer their ¡Merry Xmas! with Happy Atheism. I love the look on their faces....

A smile goes a long way. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 18, 2017

Smile, be nice, ... "Happy Holidays" is fine, not offensive. They should not be judgmental, but read Matt 25:40

So, people really notice the difference? Weird. I have never thought much about either response until the silly....I MEAN AWESOME...war on xmas. What a crazy world. I think when I was young, I thought 'Happy Holidays' meant Hanukkah, Xmas and New Years rolled into one.

I always call out Thank You, as I’m leaving the food bank.

Good on you, and wow, that's...weirdly hostile on their part O_o

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9025
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.