Agnostic.com

21 14

What's something you finally figured out?

Since age 21, I have stopped hiking in the winter. I had hypothermia twice. Same scenario: climbing a steep trail, wet clothes, high winds and sleeting sideways.

Both times, my hiking partner noticed I was shivering hard, stumbling and incoherent. He put up the tent, stripped off my wet clothes, and got into a sleeping bag naked with me. Poured hot tea down my throat. Made me eat candy for energy. I was able to hike out on my own.

“I have the insulating capacity of a grasshopper,” I quipped. “I don’t hike in the winter.”

As a small, heat-producing person, with high exertion I sweat heavily. Even with wicking fabrics, my shirt gets soaking wet which then freezes. Putting a down jacket over a wet shirt doesn’t work. The last time I did this, I was chilled to the core. The next day, my core was deeply chilled until noon when I ate hot soup.

In 2017, it finally occurred to me to change into dry clothes while hiking. Why didn’t I think of that before? Now I carry extra clothes in my pack. And change into a dry shirt.

Last winter, I continued hiking on snowshoes and micro-spikes. I got a warmer, hooded Mountain Hardwear Stretch-Down jacket. The Q-Shield 750-down does not compress when wet. Love that jacket. I'm finally warm.

Winter hiking is a joy! The woods are quiet and beautiful in the winter.

Animal tracks are amazing in the snow. It is fun to see who lives there. We saw where a large owl had swooped down, tussled with a mouse, and pushed itself aloft with two thrusts of its wings, dragging its tail feathers.

Photos:

1. Let it snow! Dec. 2017.
  2. The Enchantments, Jan. 2018.
  3. Mt. Stuart, 9,417', from foothills above Cashmere, WA, Jan. 2018.
LiterateHiker 9 May 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stay well hydrated, even important in cold weather!

Smlnjac, Exactly. Top 10 benefits of drinking water:

[mindbodygreen.com]

Great ! I want to be with you

IAS1 Level 5 May 26, 2018

You just want to get into a tent naked with her ???

Finally figured out... that the ONLY freakin' way to get and keep a healthy weight is to eat ONLY healthy foods and eat/drink no crap "food" at all! Gosh... who knew? Apparently not any of the 90% of US very overweight.

People!

There is an expression in Northern Ireland called "Passing Yourself" It basically means
lying / doing, whatever it takes to get people to behave how you want them to. (Like going away)

I had a really strange family mad as hatters (not in a good way) They were abusive and mentally unwell . Left home @ 15 yrs old and I had amazing experiences because no one ever passed on any information to me about how people live & get on /or not , with each other. everyone imagines that you pick it up from your family.

It has taken me a really long time to 'get it' , 70 yrs old and still not fluent.

I tend to go blank all over and even run away when I don't understand what people are wanting from me, for instance, there is a guy in our housing scheme who tells stories of people who were murdered and suchlike and seems to take ghoulish pleasure in the recounting and I don't want to be any where near him but politeness gets in the way as well as realising that he isnt that bright and it would be unkind -

So going round in a loop but finally getting to the place where I just make an excuse and leave.

Yes passing myself 'fine".

I cannot have sex in a twin bed

I saw this, this morning and thought of you. This would be my style (a bit long, though). [seattletimes.com]

Thank you, Jack. The longest hike I did was 24 miles with a 40 lb. backpack.

Hurricane Ridge and Thunder Mountain in Olympic National Park are aptly-named. During a Fourth of July weekend in my 20s, I backpacked from Hurricane Ridge down 1,600' then up to Grand Lake.

When we arrived at Grand Lake, a huge snowstorm hit with howling winds. To our dismay, the couple with us had forgotten to pack their jackets and tent. Together we decided to hike back out to the Hurricane Ridge parking lot, into the teeth of the storm.

NEVER AGAIN. To this day, I ask backpacking partners to meet the night before at someone's house. We spread out the contents of our backpacks on the floor. Discover what's missing. Give suggestions. Eliminate duplicates. We can share a stove, fuel and first aid kit.

@LiterateHiker Since you Mention Hurricane Ridge; the last time I was there I remember being behind a kid going down the road on a skateboard! That was crazy. It sounds like a date with you would really be exhausting. No energy for anything afterward except to crash!!!

I have figured out l haven't figured out anything.

Stick48, Very funny!

Recumbent bikes are the way to go. Way more comfortable and faster than my upright road bike ever was. If the UCI would ever change their archaic rules, you'd see a lot more of them.

There is No God. ?

How to love myself unconditionally. That led be to being able to love others the same way.

LimeySteve, beautiful, touching and true.

I've realised that there are some horrible people in the world.

I was in my 60's before I could acknowledge that! "God does not make junk" used to be my belief and tried to see good in everyone. One of the things I miss about believing in god is the certainty that everything will work out for the best in the end and evil will be punished while the good shall be rewarded. People can be pretty depressing sometimes. 😟

Glad you figured it out.It's a different experience in winter. Well worth it.

Coldo Level 8 May 26, 2018

Wow! That 2nd picture is beautiful.

@smoyle, Thank you.

The 2nd picture was taken 10 miles west of Wenatchee. We were snowshoeing above Hay Canyon in Cashmere.

How to take a shit properly. Up until a month ago, I never fully pulled my pants down all the way to my ankles. For some odd reason, I would only pull them halfway down my thighs, barely passing the toilet hole. One night, I had some mild constipation, so's I was like: what if having my pants around my thighs is creating undue pressure on my sphincter or some how not allowing my body to relax... So I began taking my pants almost all the way off and there seems to be a bit of an improvement as I extend my knees outward at an unprecedented 90 degree angle - maybe more. It feels a little more... loose. That's my advice for people who live off of a Mexican diet.

I've also learned to pack a dry shirt on long hikes for my comfort, though I don't hike in the cold as you do. Still figuring most of other life's challenges out, but have learned to just take it easy for the most part.

Wow! nice! you're awesome!

@SeeCanU, Thank you for your kind words and support. I appreciate it.

I've figured out that I don't have to overthink things. It's so liberating.

I'm never satisfied.

Stand up and fight for what you believe in...
It makes getting knocked down so much more tolerable.
Never give a sword to a man that can't dance
Change is the fundamental constant upon which all motion is contingent. If you deny or resist change the universe will leave you behind.
Artists are crazy because they can see the terrible truths of the human condition.
Don't eat the big white mint.
Jealousy implies ownership: you cannot love someone and control them at the same time.
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Worry and panic have never solved a single problem.
Everyone should get get punched in the face at least once, so you can learn that you can take it.
Bones heal, Chics dig scars, pain is temporary, but glory is forever.

No down, no cotton (no cotton socks even in town) when I started hiking goretex didn't exist and polarguard was in it's infancy and I had bad experiences with hypothermia too (even though I'm a big slab of meat). Leather boots freeze overnight so leave them upright with the tongue pulled up, if they're mashed on their side they're miserable. Hiking at night is great for the reasons you mentioned, at night with snow to reflect the light you can often see much better without flashlights(farther and not limited to the beam)

Buttercup, I try not to hike, snowshoe or cross-country ski in the dark. Not even with a headlamp. It's too dangerous.

In my 20s with headlamps, I hiked 2-3 easy miles, camping by Ingalls Creek. The next day, we hiked 12 steep miles to beautiful Ingalls Lake. I was young and more reckless.

When backpacking, I put tomorrow's clothes in the bottom of my sleeping bag. This keeps them warm. My leather boots are fine overnight under the tent rainfly. They have never frozen.

Never leave sweaty socks in your boots overnight. Animals will chew holes in your socks and pack straps, craving salt from sweat. Your boots need to dry out inside as much as possible.

If you don’t already use it try merino wool as your base layer. Lotta hunters swear by it, supposed to be one of the most naturally breathable fibers in existence and can absorb 30% of its weight in moisture n still feel dry to the touch.

@Wurlitzer, You are lucky to be able to wear wool. Cashmere is lightweight, too.

I am allergic to lanolin in wool. So are my daughter and sister.

Lanolin is in most lipsticks, lip moisturizers, face creams and body lotions. I annoy salesclerks by asking for the ingredients not printed on lipstick.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:90813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.