Agnostic.com

3 1

Good things bad things

Why is it bad things happen to good people but prime example Martin Luther King and people that like to make life better for others then you get butt heads Liars backstabbers deceivers and everything goes their way I totally don't understand that is anybody have any opinions I'm thinking that most people are deceitful thank you guys for taking your time on this

James1403 5 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is not true that good people always have bad things happen to them or that bad people always have good things happen to them, either.

Life is just stuff happening. There is no one in the driver's seat, except, in a half-baked sort of way, humanity collectively -- and even there, the connection between efforts / intentions and outcomes is flaky at best.

I think that religion often tries to cater to most people's innate desire for justice / fairness / comprehensibility by saying manifestly untrue things like "god blesses the righteous and confounds the wicked". And we're so accustomed to it that we keep trying to understand life in that way -- or at least how that can be true and yet "wrongness", injustice, etc., are everywhere to be seen.

It is better to let go of that illusory notion and understand that while there is a tendency for outcomes to track with our conformance (or lack thereof) to morality and kindness, it doesn't guarantee desired outcomes. One can have the best intentions and still inadvertently cause harm or offense. One can do the right things and still get run over by a bus. One can build a rocket and check and recheck and test and test and it still blows up on the launch pad. There is no direct relationship between intention / effort and outcomes, and no one making sure that there is. All we can say is that you can improve your odds of success / safety / fairness by following certain principles and encouraging others to do so.

But when they say "in life, there are no guarantees", there's a reason for it -- it's true.

Its a strange world and I guess a bit of adversity might make us stronger - I think getting used to anything happening at any time is a good practise - Expect the best and be prepared for the worst - not many other options.

"... I know it's hard to take. But that's the world we live in. Answers never come easy, and you can't expect miracles.: - Ceo Coyle

In other words - somtimes life sucks

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:91943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.