Agnostic.com

18 0

Is there a time and place for a lie or is a lie something you will never do no matter what the circumstances are.

davtim68 7 Dec 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Little white lies are ok especially if it involves your wife’s inquiring as to her appearance

All Art is a lie (if taken literally) but good art contains symbolic truth.

skado Level 9 Dec 20, 2017

I’m a salesperson, and everyone knows we never lie. It’s against the sacred oath we take.

Your butt looks good in those jeans. This food you cooked tastes great. I love your mom.

To save a life. That's a good occasion to lie.

Never lie to a child; he / she lacks the ability to differentiate between "a regular and a white lie".

Never. My honor code prohibits me to lie in all things. Admittedly, it gets me into trouble sometimes. But it is what it is. 😉

I try to avoid lying but when it comes to people's feelings I try to be as nice as I can-even if I am not enamored with their personality or behavior.

Imagine you are in the control tower of a train station and a train is coming down the tracks at high speed. You look down and notice there is a man stuck on the tracks and you have time enough to save him by switching the train to the other track. However, when you look at the other track you see there are five people stuck on that one. Who do you save? Do you save one person and sacrifice five or do you save five and sacrifice the one? Every moralist in the world would tell you to save the five and sacrifice the one. And, it's OK to lie and tell him not to worry about it.

When my mother was dying of cancer, I lied to her - what the hell good would have been done by telling her the truth?

When a former girlfriend gathered her hair on top of her head in two coiled ... I'm struggling to find the right word here - they were two connical plait-like structures, one to each side of her head, pointing upwards ... it made her look suspiciously like a squirrel. I told her that the hairstyle was 'interesting and delightful' - 'interesting' was certainly true, 'delightful' less so!

Time and place... im sure im going to lie every day about something. As long as it's going to be for a better cause. example: nodding my head for a prayer. Do it all the time. Im lying, im not praying!

Time and place but mostly spy life and death reasons. If you’re just guarding your ass you’re a jerk to lie.

if its to save your ass of course id lie but generally I try to be honest and you'd be surprised how many people don't like that.

Each situation deserves it’s own determination of action.

I will lie to save a life I reckon. Telling the truth get me into a lot of hassle and problems with people but hey... I got this reputation to maintain.

I will never lie at someone elses expense. Before if I was irresponsible and couldn't make it to work or something I would lie to cover my ass but that's less of a problem as I get better at managing my life. But lying has no objective evil to it. I would gladly lie to save someone's life or just save them from feeling self conscious. I would also have no guilt or shame in doing so.

I very rarely tell lies: mainly because I'm no good at it. When I do, it's never malicious: maybe just to avoid a long explanation or something like that.

I can't even tell the truth believably.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9285
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.