Agnostic.com

12 1

Is having kids a luxury or a necessity?

Should you wait until you are financially independent before having kids, even though your biological clock will run out (quicker for women). Is this a luxury that should only be taken once you are financially free or is it a necessity and you should start a family at a young age? If you turn 50 and are still broke, do you think oh well he can't take care of himself so he shouldn't have kids? Complicated question but I think y'all will understand what I'm asking, luxury or necessity?

Beach_slim 7 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Neither. Have them or don't have them, either way it's a choice and shouldn't be made for or against society's dictates.

At on time in this Country it was a necessity to have children . That was a time when children were needed to help with farming etc and to care for their parents in their old age before social security. Now it is a luxury . Children use cell phones instead of helping their parents with chores etc ,and the elderly end up in nursing homes in this decaying culture

Reproducing is something to be avoided.

Due to the astronomical rate of student dept I would say it is a luxury that people have, but cannot afford. People should not have children if they cannot pay for their education.

To me, having kids is something to be happily avoided !

Growing up, I was always told that if people wait until everything is perfect (i.e. financially)to start a family, it will never happen.

Neither, it's a choice for some (so many variables). Also sperm doesn't age as well as some people think if you're talking biological clocks.

My wife and I are having a little girl in the fall. This was planned for several years. We understand our privilege in wanting this experience, and share some of the fears everyone has about the future. We’ve seen the film “Idiocracy”, and yet have hope For the future, and our descendants.

I would say that the majority of children are an accident, often a happy accident but usually an accident nonetheless. Fucking with the sole purpose of procreating is a monotonous exercise that takes the joy out of the whole process, reminds me of when I used to put my show dog out to stud except that I collected a fee for that. Thanks for the reminder to mail out another check to my 3 kids who are all in their 30's now. 😉

Personally I think it's terribly selfish to bring more children into a corrupt evil world of greed ...the only reason people are brainwashed to procreate now is because the people who rule the world need more slaves...and babies cost money to take care of..so win win for the people who make baby items..as well as the corrupt medical establishment who need them to push vaccine GENOCIDE

@PeppermintDreads why? There are numerous whistleblowers that have come forward about the truth of vaccines..they are created to kill us and future generations..they purposefully destroy your immune system so you at one point need to either take pills your entire life like a good customer or get surgery..etc etc it's only purpose is GREED AND PROFIT

@Ravenwolfcasey Have some more Kool-aid, dear. Vaccines have reduced the nmber of deaths from what used to be considered 'childhood' diseases. Now kids can get measles or mumps and kill the nice lady who baby sits for them who is on chemotherapy, or anyone else who is immuno -suppressed. More physicians are refusing to treat families who won't vaccinate because of the damage they can do to others.

So...how's that "not dying from polio" thing working out for you?

@ladyprof70 you obviously have been brainwashed by big pharma and the CDC

@ladyprof70 chemo is 3% effective ask why it's still used?? Greed for doctors

@Ravenwolfcasey It's pointless to try to argue with someone who is depending on incorrect information. Sort of like trying to argue with theists.

@Ravenwolfcasey No, I've actually done some research into actual data.

Neither. If you want kids, have them, if you don't, then don't. If you wait until you think you're financially ready, you probably won't ever have them. I mean, you have to have some means of support for them of course, but if you start considering all the costs including college, etc., then it's gonna be a long time.

Forgive me if I misunderstand your question, but the idea of viewing children as either of these things kind of horrifies me. My answer--as someone who never had or wanted kids--is that it is neither. Having kids is a choice you make when/if you want them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94014
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.