Agnostic.com

14 1

Does it matter how or why the universe was created?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

matter to who ?
Obviously it matters to some people.
Whether knowing will change anything or not is the question

I don't think the universe was created at all, so no, it matters not.

To physicists, astrophysicists and astronomers how matters in explaining how the universe came to be. Why can be a rhetorical question with infinite answers. Why matters in answering why am I here unless all that matters is that you are here which brings you back to why? Certainly, a point to ponder for a while before you get on to doing something worthwhile.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

don't really think so

I really don't believe there is a why but, the how intrigues me.

For me, the simple answer is, No. It doesn't matter. There is a how it happened, but not a why; it just came to be. The only reason we continue to try and figure out how it came into be, and attach a "why" to it, is because we think it will somehow explain our "place" in the universe. We aren't supposed to be here, and if we disappear tomorrow, the universe will keep on spinning without us.

Nope. This is why I am an atheist. No need for a how or why. To my anyway. I'm sure others will disagree.

I'm interested to know how and why the universe came into existence for the same reason I'm interested in learning about how and why everything in the universe works. Plain curiosity. It's the best thing about being human.

If there were a "why" to the emergence of the Universe, I think everyone would like to know that. And I'll just call that Pascal's behind-the-pass-line bet.

I'm to focused on the here and now, it's important to know just not for me to find out

Does it matter how matter became matter? I think we know a lot about that but not everything. Why assumes intention which I find highly doubtful. How it happened is answerable and we're working on it. What was before may not be answerable. Or what triggered it may also be unanswerable.

I completely agree with user atheist, the how helps us to further our understanding of the universe; the why is a weird question, as it implies that the universe has an intrinsic meaning, while meaning is a human creation.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 7, 2017

As a species, we're programmed to ask "why." I think that's why science keeps looking for ways to understand it.

Oh, yes it does matter for so many reasons . . . now, where do I begin?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:943
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.