Agnostic.com

8 1

Why Americans believe in god? This is a question I been asking my self and thought i would ask that question for my first post on this site.

If you talk with any one who believes in a god most can not comprehend a world with out a god. I tried hard all my life to wrap my head around why no god was such a hard concept to understand for most Americans and came up with a short list of why Americans believe in a god.

Reason number 1.) God must be real because America is so great god waited 6,500 years of civilization to pick a favorite team but now he picks America!!!! After he picked England France Spain Rome Greeks Hetits Egyptians the Babylonians. GUess god is a bit of a bandwagon jumper.

Reason number 2.) Most Americans believe in god CORNDOGS!!!! with out god how do you think they get the stick inside the breeding and hotdog of a corndog case closed.

Reason number 3.) In 1998 Dale Earnhardt won the Daytona 500!!!!!! ("Side note in 2001 Dale Earnhardt died on the last lap of the daytona500" )

Reason number 4.) pabst blue ribbon!!!

Reason number 5.) The duck dynasty guys said so and any one with a big bush beard has to know what there talking about.

Yes i am being sarcastic if any one has any other reasons Americans still believe in god lets here it would like to hear some funny ones.

lokikye 2 Dec 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Wow liking this site already thanks for the good comments every one.

Ninety percent of all humanity believes in God in one form or the other. It's part of our evolution. We've believed in gods since we started learning how to reason. So that we believe in god now isn't all that surprising.

I think there are two deeper questions: "Why did we start to believe in god in the first place?" and "Why are so many people abandoning the idea of a god now?"

I think there are a lot of pretty straight-forward answers, many of which are answered by neurologists and psychologists.

We live in a cause-and-effect system, so it makes sense the we're looking for that cause and trying to explain the effect. Still, there's probably a lot more than that. Karen Armstrong has a great book on how the God of the Big-Three has evolved over the centuries: [amazon.com], and believe it or not, there's a lot of politics involved.

Humans need reasons, and they need someone bigger than they are, but who also looks a lot like them, to give "reasons" for their existence. The fact that "god" seems to be our default system suggests that it's more than just the belief, but something else is underneath. We share certain emotions: a sense of smallness, isolation, helplessness, abandonment, and a plethora of other unnerving sensations that probably come at the cost of having awareness and consciousness.

Cool snake.

From being taught as a tradition from generation and generation. I’m American and never got why so many people in this country believe in God. I’ve yet to see a real miracle such as an amputee regenerating an arm or a leg.

... you haven’t seen it yet...

Religion has long promised to provide assurance, guidance, and confirmation that we are special. America is a land of wildly extreme wealth in the face of widespread poverty and massive social inequality in multiple ways. People flock to religion in greater numbers in times of insecurity. America, thanks to widespread notions of Ronald-Reaganesque "rugged individualism" actually has a shitty social safety net. As a society, we don't seem to really care about taking care of each other. It is all a selfish competition rather than collaborative teamwork to lift everyone up. So religious faith becomes the crappy consolation prize. Actually, not just now, but throughout our history.

Bam... nailed it. Don’t know if you covered all the bases, but pretty much. Pre Reagan and others... perpetuated their “beliefs” inthrough all aspects of life.

Just like we learned talking we copied our family. If you've grown up in a xtian house hold they have this thing called the bible belt. My aunt used to hit me for "using the lords name in vain" even tho I wasn't a part of her religion she felt it was the right thing to do because that is how she was treated at my age.

Nice attempt at sarcasm. Folks everywhere believe in what they people in. Its the human condition.

North America was settled by religious people seeking refuge from persecution. They were puritans who burned witches, and thought the King James bible to be the only necessary source of knowledge.

Perhaps an oversimplification, but it carries a lot of truth.

Thank goodness in my country, New Zealand, religion is nowhere near as important as it is in many other countries of the world. In my opinion anyway. I think figures bear me out.

Wonder how all those puritans would react if they knew King James was gay... not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Very true and a very nice observation and comment Hominid.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9458
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.