Agnostic.com

37 2

Would you get cigarettes for a family member with serious health concerns?

We know smoking impedes healing and causes more problems. The guy has been smoking most of his life since about 10 years old. He cannot get around on his own right now. He has dialysis 3 times a week, lost part of both feet, plaques on the arteries, and cuts that easily get infected and do not heal well. Would you get him smokes if he were your family member?

thinkwithme 7 May 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no, and nobody

What did I do???? ?

@IamNobody ?

@btroje you said "no, and nobody"..... Therefore my question. What did nobody do? I am Nobody, remember? ?

@IamNobody ah so easily they forget!

As a child i always went for my parents cigarettes. Of course I would get the guy his cigs.

Of course! The withdrawal is hard enough for an able bodied person. Why put this guy through even more torture if he wants to smoke. As a family member I would consider his welfare more important than my personal stance.

I'm getting in the same boat myself, so, what the hell? I'm dying anyway. Let me have a smoke and a beer!

Yes. It's his problem not mine. It's not my part to preach to anyone - even if they are killing themself,

Hell yes. He's got enough misery as it is, regardless of how his habit began. Let him have this one thing. I think if you're sooooo messed up already it's YOUR BODY to do with as you choose! Not anyone else's.
This is a body autonomy issue.

I went through this with my late husband.... carefully tried to get him to think about quitting while he was, in fact, dying. Got him a script for Chantix , which he never touched, cut down to damn near quit myself to help inspire him. Then it became clear to me all my efforts were stressful to him, not my goal to STRESS HIM OUT, so in the last 3 months of his life I shut up about it altogether, altho I NEVER denied him his "binkies", not once.
If he had wanted to get piss drunk he could have. That was the one thing he quit cold turkey after having been Dx'd with a brain met. He was TERRIFIED of losing his mind. A fantastic mind he took for granted for too much of his life.

Assuming you are referring to tobacco. Only if I own the particular tobacco stock...which I don't.

I recon I probably would.

No, I'd probably buy a pack for someone to smoke in his/her last moments, but not to hasten those moments.

You said it so much better than I did in my verbose way.

No, I wouldn't get cigarettes for anybody/
My holier than thou mother gave my druggie bother anything he wanted, including money for drugs all his life, You can imagine how that works out.

they live their life, according to their wishes?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:94747
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.