Agnostic.com

84 14

Casual relationship

A casual relationship where both parties are expected to be monogamous. What would you call that??

ashortbeauty 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

84 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

uncasual

lerlo Level 8 Dec 19, 2018

I would call that a boyfriend - girlfriend relationship.

Friends with benefits? Or a relationship...I really don't label things as such. Just live my life and let others define stuff if they need definitions

A relationship. Put whatever you want in front of it, but if both partners are expected to be monogamous with one another, it’s a relationship. Simple.

Want to avoid the relationship label? Just be friends with benefits and don’t be surprised when the other has other such friends.

Friends with benefits, and notify if going to have sex, for std concerns

A relationship. If you've both committed to monogamy then it isn't casual, imho

I would call it “bullshit”. A “casual” relationship cannot have any expectations of fidelity or monogamy. You are either in a casual relationship OR an monogamous one. They are mutually exclusive states of being! One party is trying to have their cake and eat it too!

Livia Level 6 June 11, 2018

Marriage is unatural. I researched years ago about it as a Reproductive Health Educator out of Chicago, my first occupation out of College. I recall that a judge and an attorney came up with this thing called marriage all in the name of $$$. They knew that the average couple would remain together for only a few years and part ways. Think about it; to to go hire a stranger , a lawyer and pay big money to part ways in front of another stranger called a judge, is big BUSINESS! When I speak of unatural, it’s something man made. Marriage doesn’t grow on trees or originate from seeds. What’s natural? Examples are: sex, eating, bowel moment, speaking, breathing, emotions, walking, seeing, etc. What are your thoughts about humans being monogamous or polygamous; marriage being natural or unnatural?
RawLuv ❤️

What does any of that have to do with the question?

It isn't relevant to the question, but every culture that's been found by anthropologists has some form of marriage. It's often not monogamous and may be polyandrous or polygamous, but there's a ceremony and recognition by the rest of the group

A contradiction... or, marriage?

Hutch Level 7 May 31, 2018

Being exclusive does not mean a committed relationship. You are not sleeping with other people.

For three years, I jokingly called a man "my f-ck buddy." Neither of us were sleeping with anyone else. To my surprise, he asked me to marry him. Although he was an extraordinary lover, I don't consider him marriage material.

not?

I have never had one of those! I have the other kind, the "no fuck buddy!" We can do anything but have an intimate relationship: dinner, movie, hike, conversation, but don't touch.

"Casual sex" defined by Urban Dictionary:

Having sexual contact with another person with no plans on furthering a long term/committed relationship with that person.

I had casual sex with him/her because I needed sexual gratification and nothing more.
by hmm February 06, 2004

Interesting, but I would point out, that the topic says casual relationship, not casual sex...
Still interesting tho.

No longer casual.

Expected? Trouble! No expectations is how you approach another personality.
Speak truth about self. First into the mirror, then to others.

We simply arent very well wired for monogamy. My wife and I were monogamous the first few years of our marriage. We get along much better, and have much more productive social lives since we switched to being open/poly.

Romantic illusion

Hmm

I call it smart. In my 20's, I realized dating more than one man at a time was crazy-making for all involved. Both men wanted more of my time.

No, thanks. I don't want to expose myself to STDs and emotional anguish by dating a womanizer.

Two years ago, I met a great hiker (what a body!) who doesn't understand being exclusive. Although he lives with a woman, he actively dates and has sex with multiple women.

"Male horn-dogs are a dime a dozen," I told him.

Not casual...

"I get a little bit 'Genghis Khan'
"Don't want you to get it on
"With nobody else but meeeeeee..."

"Exclusive FWB". Someone wants STD-free sex without heavy feels. Something I once wanted in my life. Couldn't find a guy who didn't want the feels. Ugh. Humans.

Casual tends to imply no commitments, while monogamous implies a commitment. So, there seems to be some confusion of definitions here. I'd predict such an ill defined situation is nto likely to end happily.

Not very casual.

Crazy?

I'm guessing from the comments here and your responses that this is something that was proposed to you. My take: This is a person who wants to ensure YOU are monogamous while also not pressuring him for extensive together time. This statement is so fatuous that all I can imagine is that the other party uses this as a control method while not adhering to the tenets himself.

I've never heard of it and don't think it has a term.

I would have to say though that if I was interested in a person enough to want them to be monogamous, I'd probably want something more than casual.

Agreed

A relationship "To be mutually expected not to label and possibly to keep private between the two". It's a silent voice against the social norms, it's a position of certainty through some uncertainty, unidentifiability, it's a position of less friction, minimum restriction and if executed educatedly and mindfully, a total freedom and pure love, which doesn't draw any obligation, as not required between two trustworthy, responsible and sensible adults. But if not done properly, it can be a control freak show and manipulation and humiliation.

Well put

that's what I would really like as it goes. I don't care what its called. it definitely wouldn't just be about sex

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95161
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.