Agnostic.com

14 0

Do you think Science will ever discover how consciousness began?

Agnosticman 4 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Figure out the mystery of consciousness? Probably not.

Origins.org

meh, the old triune model of the brain really shows us what happened. we have our old lizard brain and it picked up an emotional component in the limbic system and then a thinking component in the cortex. each new segment built on top of the last.

That makes sense to me. Cheers mate.

Yes

KenG Level 6 May 31, 2018

How consciousness began, do you mean how the first being that became self aware, became self aware?

I'm sure it will still be the answer we have today, the brain.

If you look at the history of computers and apply that set of evolution, it's not hard to see how the beginning of consciousness could have happened.

Interesting theory which makes good sense.

They will first have to find out what consciousness is.

Off course, it all goes in steps

My definition of consciousness is that of being aware of ones self. The likelihood of a diety is unlikely; therefore how did it start? That’s the thing which puzzles me! Obviously I don’t accept the ‘God of the gaps’ argument.

I don't agree that consciousness and self-awareness are the same thing. Consciousness exists in many lifeforms. Self-awareness doesn't even exist in humans until they reach a certain age.

Do you mean consciousness or sentience? If you're truly referring to consciousness then science can already map different areas of the brain that explain it. If you're referring to the first living thing to be conscious, no.

Science hasn't explained consciousness at all, and sentience is a large part of consciousness (probably most of it).

@David_Cooper If you're not sure what the difference is between the 2, then I can't really answer your question.

I haven't asked a question.

@David_Cooper Right, I was addressing the OP and you are not them. Science has mapped areas of the brain that reflect consciousness meaning since they have begun it is logical that they will discover more.

Why would I think that?

I think what we call consciousness evolved a long with language. The ability to observe the world around us, break it down in abstract components and communicate it to others. Most of us have had pets, mainly dogs and cats that we've been very close to. It's pretty easy to conclude they have basically the same emotional makeup as we do. But we don't regard them a conscience beings. Without the ability for abstract thought they live in a emotional/fantasy world.

The animal kingdom is, was, and becomes conscious every day. Consciousness existed way before language groups syntax and grammer. Animals have there own audible stress calls, mating calls, food calls, danger calls, ect... this is language. Math and Music are considered Universal Languages. Homo sapien sapien(humans) are apart of the animal kingdom. Humans are so far removed from the natural environment that we count forward in the progression of time. Yes Humans developed a superior intellect, and I guess it be ok to say we had a little help along the way. Mammals are different, logically speaking.

A recent study was conducted envolving a cognitive psychologist and a dog. The dog learned some 4000 human terms and could differentiate colors. There is a place in south america were local fisherman waite in the water while dolphins heard in schools of fish for the nets. The fisherman say they do not know how long or when this aide de camp began, but the stories are generational, and I believe their exist frescos and very old paintings over the tradition. Dolphins are highly intelligent sentient beings with their own language.

Nonverbal communication has existed long before verbal language was created. I quess one could say that the communicative format was born out of a symbiotic relationship of the animal kingdom to environment.

@Etre With that being said one needs to define what is it that constitutes a conscience being? Communication between living entities exists on all levels from cells to microbes and all the way up.

@Dhiltong
Agreed

@Dhiltong

I'm sure it can be explored fully in time - we know that we speak about consciousness, and that means our brains are generating data that documents the phenomenon, so we just need to trace back how that data is generated to see what evidence it's based on. The data system in the brain is either generating false assertions or it is somehow able to access something that science currently doesn't have a handle on, and if the latter is the case, there has to be a traceable cause-and-effect mechanism by which consciousness can be fully explored, although it wouldn't surprise me if part of it is hidden under a layer of quantum weirdness.

Maybe, if we ever figure out how to travel back in time.

Don’t think that’s impossible! What you think?

Possible highly unlikely . Also depends on your definition of consciousness are germs , plants or animals centient

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.