Agnostic.com

16 3

Do our lives depend on facts or values the most?

Marine 8 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The facts are often lies and values are superficial at best. Our lives depend more on calorie intake over a 24 hour period. Life lives on life.

Reality, facts, truth...yes vitally important as a basis or foundation for your values.
My Christian neighbours are fine,lovely people.
The foundation of their beliefs inform their reality and what their values are.
My trust in reason, science and Atheism informs my reality and my values.
I just happen to believe I've got more facts than they do...lots more! ?

Facts. My feelings never change the facts. Facts may sometimes change my feelings.

choices and Circumstance.

If by ‘facts’ you mean ‘reality’, then yes.

KenG Level 6 May 31, 2018

Values are emotions and emotions are not based on fact. They are a set of rules that evolution has put in place. For instance, most men will not hit a woman because she has a childlike face and you would not hit or destroy the carrier of your DNA..I think values are the rules we all know to be true. Love and nurture.

There are a lot of valued things that are of no value to me including thoughts... there are a lot facts true but useless to me. I had lived and burn the candle by both ends at the same time. I am no longer attracted to everything that shines. I will continue moving along admiting that right or wrong is possible and happens often. "Do as you like!"

This is a dogging question.

If your values are not based on facts, then your values are invalid.

Example:
"I deeply value the gold at the end of the rainbow."
There is no gold at the end of the rainbow(generally), so you are speaking nonsense and your value is invalid.

Or we can go with a modern case.

Example:
"I am a feminist, because feminism is about equality for all people."
No. Equality is what provides equality and that is a subjective term, as it is applied to objects.

Feminism to start, Highlights FEM in the start of the word which immediately segregates NON-FEMS, but then uses a hijacked definition as apologetics for the absurd usage case.

Or we can go with a traditional example.

Example:
"Only God can judge me, I see things clear. The quickest cracker will give my black ass 100 years."

1. You have no proof that God can judge you, so this is not a fact, but a faith value held regardless of facts.
  2. Knowledge claims based upon future events are speculative and although may be based on current facts, cannot account for change and so are inherently based upon subjective values.

Facts are what build reality. Values are a subjective appraisal and not monogamous with reality.

Thanks for your insight

Both. And I don't really think "values" equates to religion. Aren't we supposed to be kind to one another - religion be damned (so to speak)?

“Busy, busy, busy, is what we Bokononists whisper whenever we think of how complicated and unpredictable the machinery of life really is.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

Lauxa Level 5 May 31, 2018

I think both are equally important.

This is not answering the question.

@x0lineage0x Of course it does. You ask what MY life depends on. In MY life they carry equal weight. If you want to get technical, neither one. My life really depends on food and water. ☺

@Sticks48
The question was not about your life.
It was a question of which is more critical to apply to life in a general sense... btw,
How could you attribute quality to either without facts?

@x0lineage0x Who's facts? Your facts? My facts? The bullshit l learned in school? I can have values without "facts." I do have values despite the conflicting facts l have heard all my life. ☺

@Sticks48
You seem to misunderstand, let me clarify.

My phone I am holding in my hand is white. 9(This is a declaration of fact)
I own a white phone.(This is a derived fact)
I am going to make a call.( This is a value assigned, based upon facts)
I prefer white phones over orange phones.(This is a value assigned, not based on facts)

Neither of the values are necessarily correct, but one is based upon the known facts and one is not.

"Who's facts?" This is a lazy non-argument.

@x0lineage0x l think you just like to hear yourself talk. I find you tedious and boring. Bye Bye

@Sticks48
Excellent argument

@x0lineage0x I thought so too. At least we agree on something. ?

The course of our lives depends on our knowledge of facts and on our choices. Our choices depend on both our knowledge of facts and on our values. There is no way to that one is more critical than the other.

Can you have a fact without holding a value for that fact?

Can you have a value for a fact without having a fact?

Clearly you can see one is more critical.

@x0lineage0x Yes, we can have a fact without feeling any particular value for that fact. No, we cannot have a value for a fact without having the fact. We can have a value for a belief or for a perception without supporting facts.

@wordywalt
No.
A belief is itself a value. Perception is a value.
How would you place value in "beliefs" or "perceptions" without supporting facts?
Do you see why your stance is flawed?

@x0lineage0x I have never in my entire life heard your definition of belief and perception as values. People do attach values to their beliefs, but the belief is not the value. Your are way off base.

@wordywalt
A belief is a value comprised of values. The exact word to be accurate is 'belief' as it provides the necessary links to the other parts of what a belief is.

@x0lineage0x I do not know where you get your misinformation. My information comes from a number of graduate level courses in psychology, including excellent courses in perceptual psychology and cognitive psychology. I also did a detailed review of research on "Values and the Self System." In short, you unequivocally dead wrong.

@wordywalt
Your declaration is un-compelling.
Show me why you think I'm wrong.

I already told you. You are simply rejecting the facts. @x0lineage0x

@x0lineage0x First, tell me what verifiable information sources you use to ground your questionable opinion.

It all depends how you were raised. If you were raised non religious, it would be facts more than values. If you were raised with religious bs, it's just the opposite. Which is sad to some degree. Being a former fool, I believe facts more than values.

I think that there is more to be gleaned from facts, than values, because values are narrow and cause a person to crystallize, but facts open up the realm of possibilities into new development. Values are just a population control mechanism.

Values are more important than facts to our development in our lives. Too often people use the wrong values. Facts are important but they should not have any bearing on your life unless you dispute them for some reason, but that would also be a problem with the individual's values.

We see so often that people will ignore the facts and live by the values instilled in them often by their parents. This is religion.. We can show no proof of a god yet individuals will believe according to the values their parents have brought them up with.This is why it is so difficult to change their attitudes toward religion.

This is why making up your mind up about something and being unwilling to change it is detestable.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95462
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.