Agnostic.com

23 3

If you could bring them back . . .

If you could bring back one famous deceased human being for a day in order to have a long, private conversation with him or her while lunching at a secluded lakeside spot, who would it be . . . And why? Please select only one person as it will make you think longer and harder about your choice.

RobLawrence 7 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

John Lennon. We could talk about music, art, politics, and I'm sure there would be lots of laughs.

Gimme Carl Sagan. I could listen to his voice every minute of every day... And besides, I have some half-baked, crackpot theories to run past him.

Malcolm X and Karl Marx ( I know that is two...don't judge me). I think I may have misunderstood them in my youthful, conditioned, ignorance.

@RobLawrence I feel that way too.

I'd bring back Alan Turin who more or less invented the electronic computer. He and his team cracked the Enigma code during WW2 and saved thousands of allied lives. His end was shameful. Hounded by the police for being gay he took his own life. Just imagine what that genius could have brought to the world if it wasn't for bigotry of the church. He is one of the many reasons why I am a proud atheist .

David Bowie and I would get a list of all the things my mom would want to ask him and do a Q&A for her haha

Terry Prachett

I would bring back my father, whom I have not seen since I was two years old. I would like to know why he abandoned me and left me with my mother who made me feel unwanted and unloved.

What a horrible event to have to live through, your Mother really took out her anger on you,the result of the union between your Parents.Rage,physical brutality,low esteem,and a tough blow to your developing EGO and self worth.

@RobLawrence Yes it was sad, however I turned out happy and positive despite what had happened. I understand that she did not know any better.

@RobLawrence, @Louise1920 Yes it was, however I don't think I am the only one. Plenty of kids who are mistreated by the very person who is supposed to love them.

I will bring back RinTin, my first dog.

@RobLawrence That was the TV one..... "spoiler" the rin tin tin that was shown running in the show was a girl.

@RobLawrence hollywood always had this issue with male dogs being played by females.

@RobLawrence No doubt that you are correct, never saw rin tin tin leg humping sgt o'hara. If reality was not sexist, what will it be?

HAWKING?He was such a unique person and so brave.

Leonardo de Vinci. He was a Renaissance man, an inventor, an artist, and had an incredible mind. I would like to find out how he thought of his inventions, what he really thought of the church, if he wasn't in danger of being burned at the stake. I am really intrigued by him. Galileo too.

John Denver. He was on the edge of making a huge comeback. He would have made a amazing voice of reason in this environmental mess we are in.

Marilyn Monroe. To find out how she died and to let her know she was more appreciated than she realised.

Douglas Adams - for the stories he had not yet told.

Ozman Level 7 May 31, 2018

Jane Austen. She is my favorite author and reading her work is like a visit inside her mind. It would be so much fun to see her reaction to the leaps and bounds feminism has made, and has yet to make, since her era.

Deb57 Level 8 May 31, 2018

One of the things I've learned about people, women in particular, is that the greater part of beauty cannot be perceived by the eyes alone. A few years ago I was a bit startled when happening upon a quotation that resonated in a similar way. Learning from whom it came was startling and gave me a bit of a spine chill.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart." - Helen Keller

I knew of her from having seen the movie portrayal of her childhood. After learning more about her since, the idea of spending an afternoon comparing philosophical notes would be an adventure of a lifetime.

In certain circles, my son Dakota is famous. In that regard, it would be him. There would be no lakeside luncheon. Nowhere near a damn body of water. I’d bring his skateboard and stand by wherever he wanted to skate and holler at him from aside. Then we could go get some chicken strips.

May I go again? Mae West. She was another incredibly ahead-of-her-time feminist. She must have had some amazing stories and advice.

Deb57 Level 8 May 31, 2018

Saint Teresa of Calcutta. She is one of the extraordinarily few humans that I feel are exceptions that prove the rule in my few of human kind. And, she could tell me if Heaven is out there.

What's your view on the stuff that Hitchens had to say about her? Genuine question — not trying to offend.

Douglas Adams

@RobLawrence You really should!

Already thought of.... Marcus Aurelius. I would ask him about ruling the world, why he made some of the choices that changed history, to clarify many if his writings. I think that would be a wonderful day of conversations.

I would bring back Helen Keller so I could roast her

@RobLawrence

Hehe I may have zinged somebody

Benedict Arnold. He was a brilliant military commander and it seems like he turned because the US was going to lose and he saw it coming. Somehow he either made a mistake in his assessment or there were miraculous events that altered the expected outcome of the American Revolutionary War. Either way I'd love to hear his assessment and thoughts along with being able to peruse over the further events of the war and the current state of the country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95475
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.