Agnostic.com

40 4

What’s the thing you hate most about dating websites?

Modern dating is some tricky shit. When I get blown off with an obvious lie, inside I’m fuming “Just be honest, you fucker! Tell me you're not feeling the chemistry with me, or that you have a better connection with someone else.” I think totally acceptable to say this. Chemistry can't be manufactured, everyone knows/understands that. But don’t tell me you blew me off because you had a 5-day fever. Don’t use your kid or your ailing dog as an excuse. (Yes, stuff comes up with both, but it's pretty easy to tell when it's genuine and when it's a convenient excuse). Don’t tell me you can’t see me while an old friend is in town staying with you, but not to worry - she has a boyfriend.

I’m a lot of things, but I’m not an idiot, and for me that’s the hardest thing about modern dating. Telling the truth SEEMS hurtful, whereas telling a lie SEEMS to avoid hurting someone's feelings. But for me, it’s a lot more hurtful to be told lie after lie after lie. I'm pretty pretty sure this happens to men and women. Which do you prefer?

• 56 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 9 votes
  • 10 votes
Supercali 6 May 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know within seconds if Chemistry will work. It’s amazing actually when I step back how cool it is when it happens.

@CalvinJoe, when you're feeling the chemistry, is the other person feeling it too? Or are there times when you feel it but it's obvious the other person doesn't, or vice versa?

@Supercali - everytime It has happened, it’s like a trigger and it has always been mutual. I’ve had encounters that starts out kinda right but I almost immediately sense that something isn’t right and it fizzles out fairly quickly.

@CalvinJoe I have also felt chemistry many times and it has always been mutual.

My biggest problem with dating sites is lack of potentials I don't live in a highly populated area, so not lots of singles, and almost never any compatible with my quirks.

I voted "Other."

What I dislike about most dating sites is the imbalance in the way interactions occur. Given the example of a nice guy and a nice girl who are compatible and looking for each other, here's what happens more often than not:

The woman creates a compelling bio that tells her story and sells her as the nice girl that she is, like so many other bios. The douche brigade (men who are after one thing and one thing only) flood her inbox with stupid shirtless pictures, dick pics and pleas for sexual favors, leaving her jaded and overwhelmed to the point that she can't answer every query and a good number of them are deleted without even being read. See, the douche brigade knows that if they send 100 messages, there's a chance they might get a response and maybe even meet some seedy woman who wants nothing but sex, so they persist, relentlessly.

Of course, she'll read and answer some that appear to be different, but many of those switch into douche mode after she responds, further compounding her frustration. This makes her wary of even the nicest and most promising sounding messages that some well-meaning nice guy might send.

Now, the nice guy tired of looking at profiles of scantily clad women who seem to be selling sex but complain in their profiles about men who only want one thing, sends her a message, hoping to have it lead to coffee or lunch or something non-threatening in the hopes of getting to know the nice girl. He is jaded because, over the course of several weeks or months, he has sent messages to a few promising profiles who seem to be exceptions, and crickets chirping... No responses.

I have formed this view over the course of several years of discussing it with men and women have been there, and who all seem to agree that this is an accurate picture of the online dating landscape.

Had I voted differently, I would have chosen "Honesty is kind" and I feel strongly about that.

@Meep70 Wow, this is such a thoughtful and insightful analysis! Based on my experience and others I've talked to, I agree 100% that this is an accurate snapshot of (ugg) online dating. So basically, humanity is doomed

@Supercali There's hope! This seems to be a better experience, so far, BUT, I am not really here for dating, so, we'll see.

I asked out a girl that I had known for about 2 months to dinner and it was awkward. A few days before asking her out, she had said she did not have any plans for that Saturday. When I asked her face-to-face if she wanted to have dinner, she said "I don't know." I didn't say anything because I was dumbfounded by that answer, or lack thereof. She then said "I don't know. Let me check my phone. I might have plans." She checks her phone and again said "I don't know." I'm thinking "How do you not know if you have plans? You just looked at your phone to check. Either you have plans or not." What I said was "Ok, well let me know when you do" and left just confused and hurt.

I always prepare myself for a "No" answer when asking someone out, but I was not expecting an "I don't know." I knew she was saying that to spare my feelings from being hurt and didn't want to go out, but it definitely hurt worse because I had not prepared myself for that. I ended up texting her 3 days later on Friday (the day before my propsed date) to ask if she wanted to go out. She said she had plans. :/

That's when I counter with "'No' is an acceptable answer. It isn't what I prefer, because I enjoy your company, but I respect your answer, whatever it is."

Yes, I have used that.

That's so wrong! Call a girl out on that shite if it happens again - "Are you not sure about me, or not sure about Friday?" I would've been stunned too if I got that response. It is such a struggle to get the truth sometimes, but in general I think most people want honesty.

@Meep70 Right on! I'm going to start using that. I've always believe that "I don't know" and "Maybe" is actually just a "No" masquerading as something more socially acceptable.

Well, honesty may not be kind. Sometimes brutality can help a person to change!

Atlas Level 3 Feb 9, 2019
  1. Unsolicited dick pics.
  2. Religious people messaging me to convert me (after getting a free fucking, of course)
  3. Incels. One of my brother in law's is one. He's literally the worst person I know.
Meshy Level 2 Dec 28, 2018

Guess I have been screwed over so many times that I just no longer care. I hope to find Mr. Right but not going stress over it.

That I don't get replies

I hate when people do that. It's so rude. If I took the time to send someone a message the least they can do is reply with not interested.

there are lots of message I don't respond to. For example anything like "how are you today?" (on certain sites, I was getting 15 of those per day and who's got the time? Anyway, I consider this is a throw-away message, the kind of impersonal thing a guy would send to 50 girls hoping one of them will bite). I never responded to anything that made it obvious they hadn't read my profile, or that called me "gorgeous" like it was my name. I'm truly not trying to be rude, I just don't take those messages seriously, and I don't think those guys were taking me seriously either.

My problem besides the scammers and fakers is on-line dating never allows anyone to really know who I am. It is hard to project one's true personality through the Internet even if you fill out all of the forms and questionnaires no one can know the real me. I am sure many women encounter people who misrepresent themselves and it create an air of caution that I completely understand. This doesn't help me to convey who I am and the fact that I am not out there to do anyone any harm. There probably isn't an answer to my issue. Hopefully someone will trust me and give me enough time to learn who I am.

I'm sorry @ShermanK! The lousy part about online dating is that good guys have to convince woman to trust you because she's been burned countless times before by douche bags. And eliciting this trust may take a couple months of conversation. So unless you're really comfortable expressing yourself in writing, you're absolutely right - no one will see the real you. What would convey the real you?

I have never made it that far. I get a like, then no response.

?

No vote, I don't get polled by strangers.

with that logic, you also wouldn't read a stranger's post - duh!

@Supercali And exactly, your post was not read.

don't care, the post wasn't for you. now git gone.

@Supercali he, he, he, ha, he, Oh the pain of the dating website addict, can't stand rejection!

I hate that nothing local is good. I gotta hit up a different site for pickups.

I can't tell - is this a joke?

I'm not sure which is worse, being told some bullshit or just being ignored when you attempt to communicate.

For me, total radio silence is better than lies, because then I have no doubt - the guy's not interested. Whereas bullshit/lies/excuses confuse the issue and prolong the inevitable

@Supercali Good point, but both suck.

no arguments there

There's a few things I don't like. Firstly, and I can only do this from a bloke's point of view, most women have a huge list of what they don't like, which would seem to eliminate everyone. 99% don't have the manners to just say 'No thanks' if you initiate contact and lastly it appears to be solely down to looks.

Scammers

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:95583
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.