Agnostic.com

50 7

Too Much Information

How do you handle it when a person goes into uncomfortable and unsolicited details about their personal life or health?

Donotbelieve 9 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

50 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's a tough one. Often, I am honored that they trust me enough to share something so personal. If they just blather it anyone and everyone, I offer advice (something I don't often do in person) and suggest they tell their doctor or therapist.

"Dude, c'mon, gross! I don't want to hear about your ass infection. No one wants to hear about your ass infection."

With popcorn, typically— my innate curiosity and their trust doesn’t bug me.

What has been heard cannot be unheard.

JK666 Level 7 June 12, 2018

? honored ??️‍?️

y0d5 Level 4 June 4, 2018

@Donotbelieve I understand...nevertheless I was in the healthcare field most of my life and assisted in treatment of such afflictions.

?itsAllaboutperspecrive??️

Oh just let them talk.... Is not going to hurt anything

I've probably been guilty of that... Apologies to everyone.

I don't know... I kind of feel both ways. Sometimes, I truly don't want to know. Other times, I feel like maybe that person really needs to get it off their chest. I guess it depends why they are talking. If they are sincerely reaching out, I'll tolerate it. If they just want to dominate my time, I begin fucking with them.

If it is some guy telling me about how he wants to fuck a stewardess, then I pull a Doug Stanhope and tell them "you said it... If I was into chicks, I would totally go to town on that!" It usually stops it quickly.

@Donotbelieve ha - do it!

"Why would you think I'd want to hear about that?

"How do I unsee the image you just put in my mind?"

"Gross! Just get away from me!"

I hate it..

@Donotbelieve
I have a really difficult time in not showing how I feel about something.
Sort of like what you see is what you get..lol

@Donotbelieve not me , lol

That's difficult at times. I usually try to change the subject asap. It's hard to not offend the person, but sometimes I'm left with no choice.

Wow. That depends on the person and the details really. Just never be afraid to tell them, "That's a bit personal, isn't it?".

Excuse yourself to go to the bathroom.

Depends on the person and what I'm willing to invest. Shyness is not in my make-up. And at any time I reserve the right to say " thats as much as I want to know, any more is going to be too much."

True story- i met an old friend who had developed a floppy arm and I asked what had happened. He said he had got depressed and tried to commit suicide by jumping out of a window on the second floor and only succeeded in shattering the bones in one arm from a bad landing. After ridiculing him for a bit for a half arsed attempt i bought him breakfast and told him i was just interested in watching him try and eat it with one arm. We both had a laugh and he left in good spirit. The point is i didn't give him the sympathy he was expecting but i did give him what he needed. A good meal and the company of a friend who was interested in him and not his condition.

Nardi Level 7 June 27, 2018

?givethemonlythemindwhichattentionisnotbeingpaidto?️

y0d5 Level 4 June 8, 2018

I listen then I ask why are you sharing this?I try to find out what's the point of it all. Nothing gross me out, or make feel uncomfortably about the human condition...I just need to know why a person is sharing such things?

Say TMI

block them. i have no obligation to anybody on here.

@Donotbelieve ???

@Donotbelieve Oh. Got it. Well that is tougher. You might just have to be brutally honest. But IRL you do have to consider the consequences. Best luck!

I’m usually flattered to be viewed as a confidant.

I actually feel honored that people I know are that open with me. I sometimes solicit the info in a roundabout way.

I normally do it right back....or I'm the one who starts it. I can't seem to stop myself and I know it's a problem.

"Hey cool shirt"

"Thanks I got it last week after I went to therapy to deal with all of the repressed trauma of my incestuous rapist father, my grandpa dying in my arms, the emotional abuse and neglect I was raised in, and my chronic pain disease that is killing me slowly in a manner only fit to be called torture. And it has pockets!"

@Donotbelieve yep its a problem

Smile nod then avoid like the plague

Yawn?

I would ask what inside you makes you uncomfortable with people that share what's inside themselves but that's years of Zen speaking. Some people just don't care about wearing the masks society likes to hide behind. People are varied greatly in temperament and experiences. I personally would rather people talk about real issues rather then the weather.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96270
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.