Agnostic.com

20 3

WOMEN ONLY: What is your race/ethnic origin?

WOMEN ONLY PLEASE
(Men's survey found here: MEN ONLY: What is your race/ethnic origin? )

What is your race/ethnic origin?

(Answers based on USA Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964 employment non-discrimination questionnaire)

• 32 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 9 votes
TheMiddleWay 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just entered what best describes my ethnicity to myself.

So based on the act from 1964, hmmm, what would I use to identify my race? I would say the human race. Are you doing this for yourself? A paper to achieve a degree? Your own curiosity? I can identify with about half of those ethnicities

@TheMiddleWay interesting! Well I live in an area that is predominantly Hispanic, which the majority identifies themselves as of Catholic faith and/ or Christian. Here many do not come out as atheist because of the way we get treated. I came out a few years back and some people would leave me religious literature, thanks but no thanks! I have seen on here that a few from this area has signed up on here but are not very active.

@TheMiddleWay so true! Lol!!! I was thinking maybe start an atheist platform but in Spanish, to start, maybe you will see another demographic or larger number of Hispanic and Latinos

Not important to anyone. pre-2016 question.

@TheMiddleWay Then they are wrong.

I'm wondering why this question touched a nerve. Does it expose a truth? It doesn't single anyone out. It is anonymous. I think that says something in itself.

I'm also wondering about educational levels. I wonder if the lack of diversity could be driven by education inequalities. I think that it is a worthy query.

The men's survey says "Sorry, this post is not available" so I'll post here.
Your own poll shows that only about 50% of female respondents identify as "White".
Are you happy now, or would you accept that your own poll is poorly conceived?

@TheMiddleWay If you answer a question with a question there is no end in sight.

@TheMiddleWay Firstly, because I asked if you thought "x" you have assumed that I must think "x". That's not logical thinking and it makes your question loaded, which is why I shall politely decline to answer it.
What I will say though is that if you knew much about genetics, statistical sampling and psephology you would not place much reliance on racial profiling through mugshots and self-reporting on an optional questionnaire. All you will get is junk data.
At the broadest level, your implication that membership of this site is racially skewed is divisive and, in my own, subjective opinion, constitutes a kind of trolling.

@TheMiddleWay I'm perfectly sure you don't really believe that if something is a fact then it cannot possibly be divisive. That disingenuity further reinforces my doubt of your good faith. I find this site refreshingly low in racial animus and don't intend to further indulge your side-tracking it into identity politics.

Yes. I feel it as such... being a minority and all

Sadoi Level 7 June 2, 2018

My first question is why do you want to know? Seeing a man put this poll up and only ask women feels a little suspect. You should be up front as to why you are asking the question and then why only to women.

@TheMiddleWay maybe a better way to go about this is to start a group in here for Agnostics of Color. Then see how many people show up.

@TheMiddleWay I am Native American and Mexican American but havent joined the group. I rarely find other Natives in groups like this so i rarely try. I guess I havent found a reason to ...yet.

Being Australian, this poll is irrelevant to me and probably to you. What gets me is why Americans are so hung up on ethnic origins and how they categorise people. Every actor on IMDB is described by ethnic origin....why?
I recall my son saying to me " so if I married a black girl and we had children, they would be considered black children" (this despite my son having very white celtic origins). I told him yes in the eyes of the world the kids would be considered black.This made no sense to him or me.

and for the record I love that I live in a multicultural country and despite diverstity we are all Aussies.

What is the point of this poll?

This poll is offensive. How about making THAT one of the the options?

Only in ameriKKKa.

Well I'm a bastard born and bred. Adopted at birth so I haven't got the vaguest. Friend who is an anthropologist leans towards half anglo, half gypsy.
I also note that there is a very strong US bias in the choices including the source but we aren't all from America, the rest of the world gets a bit tired of that narrow viewpoint.

Kimba Level 7 June 1, 2018

So why are you asking, now that a bunch of people have told you your link doesn't work?

@TheMiddleWay alarming?

@TheMiddleWay why? What can you do to entice other ethnicities to join or become agnostic or atheist?

@TheMiddleWay I am still asking what your point is. THey run ads on FB. THis is a voluntary social site. I still don't see where the word alarming applies

@TheMiddleWay do you think people are being blocked from signing up? If they don't want to be here why do they have to be?

@TheMiddleWay I think your sample size is too small and it is only a single sample. Also does the 200 include us from 'the rest of the world' or just Americans. Because I think you'll find far more people that have English as their first language joining the group. Many poorer countries with no computers do not speak english. If the sample is solely American, are there demographics, say poorer socio-econonmic groups over represented by particular ethnic groups that can't afford internet or computers. Lots of variables to consider

@TheMiddleWay You forgot immodesty too.

@TheMiddleWay When we speak of 'minorities' we refer to disadvatages or prejudice. I hardly think having PhD in physics or working in medical physics constitutes disadvantage unless you are looking for someone in the same work line.
This is not to take away from your admirable endeavour to profile our group. But to quote the most quoted quote in statistics, 'correlation does not mean causation" 😛

Human you numptie. So what's the purpose of your post? What are you going to do with your "research"?

@Decieven The link doesn't exist. A bit like your reason for posting this.

@TheMiddleWay Why do you think it's alarming? It's not even surprising.

So go and tell them about it.

@TheMiddleWay Of course, as it is in the rest of the world, but this survey is not correctly worded to achieve any reliable results.

Is there some reason why you separated men from women? What about people who are non-binary?

@TheMiddleWay well that thread is gone, whatever it was.

@TheMiddleWay Still showing not available. It would be a lot easier if you would answer the question since the link isn't reliable.

@kiramea Yep. I'm bored already.

@TheMiddleWay I wouldn't say it's "Alarming" --- I would say that the marketing for this site is not reaching where YOU think it needs to reach.

@TheMiddleWay Idk what to tell you. Indoctrination affects all walks, races, etc. Not sure why those identifying as white are over(?) represented.

@TheMiddleWay If you strictly going by the government parameters, most people will check the ethnicity that they identify with, not the ethnicity/ethnicities that they are. For example, I check "white/caucasian". In reality, I'm German/Irish/French, which makes the government parameters meaningless. Even-though you claim you're not, you are really trying to place everyone in convenient little labels which I personally find insulting. We are more than what our ethnicity (or race; take your pick) makes us.

@TheMiddleWay 😟
I was in court the other day and all the people "in charge" were crusty old white dudes. Yet, oddly enough, there was not a single young male white yuppie douchebag waiting for something to do with court. the waiting room was comprised mostly of various ethnicities, a couple of white women, (me included) and elderly, in for the most ridiculous shit possible.

Nauseating society we live in, in general. A side effect of this is I've become hyper sensitive to white men, or men period making me feel "splained" and have had a couple of full "truthy" moments in the past 6 months or so... (pre menopause? idk but I'm less tolerant about a lot of things having to do with status quo).

@TheMiddleWay 😟 ((( hugs ))) Well if it's any consolation. I'm very fond of your presence here and I'm a rachet class X suburban white lady...from hell . IDC about race if there's chemistry/common ground. (just smell good to me & like me...a lot LOL) and don't be a bum. and and...my dogs are a package deal, and and.... hehe
/forgive the levity please.
Maybe more advertising in targeted demographics is needed to expand the community?

@TheMiddleWay Newsflash...... asking a question does not mean it needs to be asked. Also, when you answer "other", the government/potential employer doesn't question your answer. Your poll is poorly written, and instead of giving us a succinct answer, you give us drivel about government employment polls and how this question is asked all the time. Almost every time someone answered "human" you pretty much demanded them to answer it according to what you wanted. When they answered "other" you came back and demanded them to answer it in a post.THAT is what I'm insulted about. You are apparently looking for something that we are not giving you or you would have just let us answer the question the way we wanted to.

@TheMiddleWay I hear you re: whites, but don't think it goes unnoticed IRL by the likes of myself. I got "splained" at my hearing, which thankfully the case was dismissed as it was an estate issue over a stolen tag on my late dh's truck in the driveway! But others weren't so lucky. I couldn't help feel it was because I was white that I "got off".

One thing I've noticed is there are an inordinate number of interesting (truly) men from Arizona on here. I can't help wonder if advertising say on FB, tends to occur in that time zone? Things like that I think influence who's inspired to join. It could be as simple as that really, being seen in the wrong place to cover a wider audience.

As it turns out, we're almost all "other".

@KKGator

I get what you said, even if the PhD didn't. The world is well on its way to being beige.

Human

Oh good. You allowed me to click more than One race. If I am forced to choose only one, I always take Asian. If I am allowed two, white seems so general. I wish I could say European. Some say I should claim Eurasian. Lol! I used to have a big poster that said Eurotrash on it and i felt that was more befitting. lol

Sadoi Level 7 June 1, 2018

I so dislike whenever it shows up. I always choose other. I know it was done so that supposedly there would be no discrimination amongst job searchers and loan customers. But we all know how that worked. Bad bad news

@TheMiddleWay I'll choose alien on that one

Why? What is the purpose of this poll?
For the record, I'm part of the human race. Although most days I hate to admit it.

@TheMiddleWay post not available to me. Who posted it? They may have me blocked or I may have them blocked.

@SkotlandSkye its blocked for me too. It probably was taken down

@AmelieMatisse what a waste of time. All of it.

@TheMiddleWay I'm not sure how you are counting white and non white, by photos? What about those without photos? What about those not disclosing as trans.

@GoldenDoll I find this based on nothingness as his methodology of figuring out who is white is quite squewed

@AmelieMatisse Preach.

@AmelieMatisse, @TheMiddleWay So purely pointless then.

@TheMiddleWay ok so it was visual. Look at my photo and tell me how you would visually categorize me. I bet you won't be able to

@TheMiddleWay ummm i thought you said this was a purly visual count

@TheMiddleWay Hitler tried to gather evidence to test a hypothesis too, didn't he?

@TheMiddleWay How do you know I'm not a minority? How do you know that's my photo? How do you know I don't have 3 mixed-race children who have had to tick boxes all their lives and put up with this shit and idiots requiring them to "identify" as one thing or another?

@GoldenDoll
Get 'im, Doll!

A mixture thereof

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96334
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.