Agnostic.com

7 2

Is anti atheist sentiment only in the USA?

Marine 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well I am Australian and even those that call themselves christian aren't very religious. I always ask what people believe because I am interested. I tell them I am atheist and they mostly leave me alone and I try not to have little digs at their beliefs. 😀

In this corner of the world people generally don't talk to each other about their religions. Its held to be something more or less private. I can't recall the last time I had a conversation about religion which i didn't initiate.

Not generally in the UK, in my experience. Though I did once have a conversation with a guy I know wherein I told him I was a 'non-believer' and his response was 'at least you're not an atheist — those lot are arseholes'.

Ummmm... Well actually...

Of course not. Any religious "true believer" detests atheists, because the religious dogma forms the core of the true believer's definition of self. Rejection of that dogma threatens the true believers very identity.

I think there's a bit of it everywhere. Atheism is a threat to the ruling class.

Being an open atheist in Muslim countries can be a death sentence.

From my own personal travels I found that the middle east and Europe are as anti atheist or even more so than the USA. In fact I found that most of Europe found the USA to already be atheist.
It was interesting that China was practicing catholism in the open without any suppression.

It seems that we atheists are still seen as devils the world over.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96457
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.