Agnostic.com

13 1

LINK Do you know the answers to these simple science questions? | MNN - Mother Nature Network

Science questions, they have asked the same questions for a while and the average seems steady, but it is not a passing grade

Pedr0 5 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

10/10. I must admit, I was a bit shaky on the sperm one.

‘True. The big bang is considered the best theory to explain how the known universe came into existence. Thirty-nine percent of people answered this question correctly.

When a different groups of respondents were asked this question with the phrase, "According to astronomers" in front of it, 60 percent of people answered it correctly.’

This is a rather disturbing discrepancy likely caused in large part by the Young Earth Creationist worldview.

palex Level 6 June 2, 2018

I did at least sufficiently good. Somewhat fun. I was expecting some more in-the-know type of questions, like Newton's Law of Cooling, fermions, whatever...

Oh my,  I just took the quiz and if people missed even one question they are not of this earth.  I do know people who could miss a few and that is just so scarey itself.  Simple basic facts and yet some do not get it.
EMC2 Level 8 June 2, 2018

90%, I missed the question about what determines the sex of a baby.

Me too.. just that one..still shameful
??

9 out of 10. Missed atoms and electrons

That's the one I had to think about for a bit.

@sewchick57 Me too. Evidently l didn't think about it enough. ☺

Does the sun orbit the earth and did humans evolve from earlier species? Seriously?!

(Sorry about the spoilers.)

Well, technically both the earth and sun orbit the center of mass of the solar system, which shifts as all the orbital bodies move, but since the center of mass is within the sun, for most purposes it amounts to the same thing.

I got 9 out of 10...forgot about the male sperm determines the sex of the child 😟 The question about the human race developing from early species of animals...I thought it all began with a giant orgy with Adam, Eve, the Nephilim, drunk Noah, Noah's daughters, Grey aliens, Jimmy Swagart, Jim Baker, and the royal family??? So...I selected True...figured all of the above were pretty much animals 😛 LOL

That was actually pretty simple. But I know that a whole lot of people would have trouble with it.

Agreed. I wanted to feel good about getting 10 out of 10, but instead I'm shaking my head about how many Americans don't know this stuff...

@Michael_D And to make you feel even worse about how many Americans don't know this stuff, I only finished 9th grade and I got 10.

Aced it, but with ignorance seemingly the norm in Merica, I'm not surprised at the average score.

I'll probably screw up their results. I aced it.

That was easy.

That's what she said

The big bang question is bull. It was not an explosion, it was the expansion of spacetime... Inflation != explosion.

I thought that too, but given the generally low level of the questions I assumed "explosion" was being used colloquially.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:96892
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.