Agnostic.com

6 1

Does ANYONE on here listen to classic music?

It would be pretentious, in the extreme, to count myself an "audiophile", but I do like harmony and an interesting score.

The 'very best' radio or ,internet radio station, that I have ever heard is "Radio Symphony New York". Except for a total announcement, once an hour, "You are listening to Radio Symphony", there is no other talking.

There are listeners from all over the world. Sofantastic

Diogenes 8 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't listen to classical as much as I used to simply because it puts me to sleep. I used to sing but lost my voice due to allergies and even through voice lessons, never regained the ability to sing. I have always been drawn to Jazz. I grew up on a farm in Arizona where country music ruled and I cringed. The lyrics just seem to enhance the victimhood of the listener. I'll take the devil's music any day.

Jazz music is generally acknowledged to have originated in New Orleans just after the turn of the 19th century into the 20th. Influences on jazz come from both Western traditional "classical" music and the influx of African peoples introduced to the Americas over several centuries of slave trading.

As America struggled with white vs. black, it was easy for the white majority to be afraid of the growing popularity of Jazz. Historical reasons for jazz to disperse across the United States include the U.S. Navy shuttering New Orleans' Storyville
in 1917, which dispersed jazz musicians mostly to the North.

The fear of the African influence, the sex-tinged dancing thought to be wild and uncontrollable - indeed "the work of the devil", is rooted in xenophobia and racism.
[quora.com]

Goat Level 5 Jan 5, 2018

I like it when I'm driving alone in the car

I enjoy classical, especially when I am studying. French composers like Debussy and Fauré are definitely some of my favourites, but I listen to a plethora of others from all around Europe and Russia mainly.

Yes, I listen to a lot of classical music, from Byrd and Tallis through Shostakovich and Glass with some very big names in between. (Though the term 'classical' here must be interpreted broadly!) This includes a certain amount of sacred music, too.

I am a retired Assoc. Professor Emeritus of Music education, classic/jazz pianist and bass baritone soloist having sung the great religious compositions with symphony orchestras along with leads in operas. Yes, at 88 I listen to classic music as well as good jazz.

Ruskie, I should have paid more attention to the music classes in school- just one more thing that 'I should have paid attention to'. I like all kinds of music, especially early jazz.It must be MUSIC though; to me, dissonance is not music.

I have listened to this station. Another great classical music station you can stream on line is Classic King FM in Seattle. They are publicly funded so there are the periodic fund raising times of the year. I myself have been writing symphony music for the last 15 years or so.

Brian hi. Classic King must be a PBS station. I like to listen to PBS form Buffalo- besides their great music, the knowledgeable commentary is interesting. I am at the outer edge of their reception range, but reception from them is perfect on TV.

When you become 'more' famous, than you already are, with your compositions, I am going to claim that I have 'talked' with you. LOL. All the best.

Brian, I finally listened to Classic King; it is an interesting station.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9730
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.