Agnostic.com

4 0

Has Christmas in America reached a level that includes everyone?

Since the 1950's, the Christmas season has evolved into a commercial event that allows everyone to celebrate. Rudolf the Red nose reindeer, Frosty the snowman, and Santa Claus are not only icons of the Holiday Season but seem to be more celebrated than Jesus.

I personally consider that to be a good thing because it allows people of all faiths and nontheists to celebrate a positive message of giving that doesn't exclude non-Christians.

Thoughts?

ksmartines 6 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think the U.S. is actually regressing in that regard. The whole "war on Christmas" and "War on Christianity" things started on Fox News are feeding fears and making people feel less inclusive.

Noticed you switched from Christmas to the Holiday season. For us, the Holiday season included many different pieces. In early December we go to a performance of the Oregon Trail Band, with seasonal music from many traditions. Then the Portland Revels - a celebration of Winter Solstice, this year was on traditions of Iceland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. As it is the darkest part of the year, get with friends and family for sharing food and being together. Had our Solstice bonfire last night. Today the Sun will be up a little longer. I do like getting small gifts for the grand kids, and now 2 great grand kids. Also when I look at which groups that I will make a contribution to. ( rambled a little here).

Yes as a cultural Jew I enjoy cultural x-mas.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? That is exactly why Christmas has become what it is, because everyone wanted to be included. Now pass the eggnog.

godef Level 7 Dec 22, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9775
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.