Agnostic.com

16 5

Best 80's Sci Fi

To qualify the movie must be a true Sci Fi and not a Fantasy or Horror just set in a High Tec or futuristic setting such as Star Wars (fantasy) or Aliens (Horror).

LibrePenseur 7 June 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Quantum Leap. Was that 80s or 90s? Remember the device he had called Ziggy? It was before we had smart phones but it acted like a smart phone. It was his access to the internet. Ziggy performed like Siri does today. Ask it anything and Ziggy had the answer.

So many from the 70s........ Logan Run, Omega Man, Soylent Green

How about the 60's the best I think was 2001: A Space Odyssey

Starman

Starman was a great movie! "Red mean stop, green means go, yellow means go very fast." hahaha!

BLADE RUNNER! One of my top 5 favorite movies ever.

Blade Runner

Coldo Level 8 June 3, 2018

That's when I got off the trojan horse. It is fiction and often of the poor kind.

I think Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home would be pretty near the top of the list.

Of course I am biased towards sci-fi with a positive vision of the future. Which Star Trek seems to fill nicely. However, it seems only the even numbered movies with the Original Star Trek cast were any good. I think Star Trek V was the worst Star Trek film ever.

It's got to be the 1982 classic, Blade Runner for me.

Agree 1000% (Not a typo)

[bing.com]

@COGITOERGOSUM yes, the tears in rain scene, and so much imagery with his pierced hand and the dove. It was certainly before it's time.

@girlwithsmiles That scene alone, with the imagery you mention, contains more philosophical insight than some of the textbooks my students are required to read!

As I wrote in another thread, Dune is, imo, the best of all. But Blade Runner, ET, and Cocoon are great, too.

IMO pretty much all derivative from the 50's novels of the Greats....ho hum......

The Alien movies. Loved the women in that. Seems like that was a breakthrough for us. Now there are so many great female heroes & leaders in movies & TV, especially in Sci Fi shows like Dark Matter, The Rain, Walking Dead & Fear the Walking Dead.

Carin Level 8 June 3, 2018

Repo Man, Blade Runner, ET, Cocoon, The Empire Strikes Back, Somewhere In Time, Back To The Future, Running Man, 2010: Odyssey II, Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan, Ghostbusters and Starman.

yes Back to the Future!

Somewhere in Time is not science fiction. I am still trying to go back in time to re-connect with my first love! I just hate the present! Everything was so wonderful 40 years ago!

Dune and SW's for sure..Signs was also good...it ended there in my opinion...they just aren't making decent sci-fi movies anymore

Xena Level 6 June 3, 2018

Tough call - Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Blade Runner

gater Level 7 June 3, 2018

Tron. I liked the remake, too.

If high tech and futuristic settings don't qualify as SciFi , what does ? Would something like , " Matrix , " qualify ? What about , "Close Encounters ? " "ET ? "
"A.I. ?"

Just narrowing it down to more pure Sci Fi. Movies such as Star Wars falls into a Fantasy Sci Fi and the Alien series is a Horror or Monster Sci Fi. An example of a more “Black Box” Sci Fi would be 2001: A Space Odyssey and the Andromeda Strain.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:98190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.