Agnostic.com

5 1

They say that married people live longer. I think it just seems that way.

steve148 7 Dec 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Q: Do you know why married men die before there wife's ?
A: Because they want to.

I read an article the other day saying this. There was a rundown of deaths by heart attack, etc, which suggested that married people were more likely to survive. My first reaction was, "Well, of course! There's someone there to call an ambulance!" There's no secret, no magic. Just if you have a serious illness or accident, and live alone, you're much more likely to die. If you have a heart attack when someone is in bed beside you, (which is what happened to me), then that someone can get help.

Married men live longer than single men, but single women live longer than married women. Lol

I seem to recall research studies in the past in which at least them married men, if not also most of the women, seemed to live longer than their single counterparts. I am guessing that the cause for that is that women tend to be more nurturing in general than men and so the married men's health tended to benefit from that. I think most of the studies concluded that married life was equally stressful and beneficial for married women, so they didn't get as much of a longevity benefit as the men from marriage. These theories and trends seem to match my experience from my one marriage, which seemed to improve my own health until my wife became ill and then the stress of that began to affect my health. I don't want or feel the need to get married again at my current age with no kids, but I sure would like to find a committed relationship sometime in the next few years. I know that I am healthier and happier that way as long as it's not with someone that is wrong for me, which is always worse than being alone....

Been divorced 20 years. Plan on living-will not remarry.

I was married 21 years, had 2 kids, we're still friends. To much history to ignore

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:9857
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.